Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally and update! Sorry it took me so long. I have been suffering from a strong case of writers block but I'm back on track! Thanks ever so much to my beta sanityfair. You're awesome!
Chapter 25

William put down his glass, just as the sultry brunette with the scarlet lips took a seat next to him. “Looks like you could use some company.” Placing her elbow on the bar, she leaned her head into her hand while flashing him a sexy smile.

“Thought you were chatting up that fella over there.” William nodded his head toward the table where she had been sitting. It was empty.

“Who, Phil? We had a parting of the ways. He wasn’t my type”

“Didn’t look like it.”

“My name’s Faith. What’s yours?”

William took in the girl’s appearance; she wore low-slung black leather pants that matched her bustier and revealed half of her midsection. She was built; he could see it in her toned arms and flat stomach. Her feet were incased in pointy black patent leather boots with heels sharp enough to stab a man to death. She looked badass. Her eyes told him otherwise. It was an act, he could tell from the sadness reflected in them.

“Name’s William.”

“Drink up, Will. Next one’s on me.” She gave him that sultry smile again, but it didn’t reach her eyes and he wondered what had resigned her to this lonely existence.

“Sorry, pet. Not drinking tonight.” He’d come this far, and as tempting as taking that drink was, he knew he had to stay strong for Buffy. What good would he be to her passed out on the barroom floor?

“That’s okay. How about I drink this one, and you take me home after?”

Fred looked up from where she stood at the other side of the bar and noticed Faith hassling her customer. Making her way back over to William she said,

“Hey, Faith. Can I get you anything?” She made the offer with a smile on her face, but William could see the slight tension in her shoulders.

“Nope. I’m fine right here. Will and I are just getting to know each other. Aren’t we, Will?” The smirk on Faith’s face told him there was more to her interaction with Fred than he could see.

Fred turned and looked at him. “How about you, William? You need help with anything?” She remained looking at him but her eyes shifted in Faith’s direction. He found it sweet of her to try and help him out.

“No thanks, love. Came here for the wrong reasons, turns out there’s something more important I should be doing ‘stead of drinking my sorrows away.” He smiled at the bartender and placed his hand over hers. “Thanks ever so for your wonderful service.”

Fred tucked her hair behind her ear and looked down, a slight flush coloring her face. He didn’t miss her smile though and couldn’t help smiling in return. Turning to look at Faith he said,

“Thanks for the offer. You’re one difficult bird to say no to, but I’ve got someone special waiting for me an’ she really needs me right now.”

Faith shrugged her shoulders. “Your loss. It could’ve been a really wild night. I never disappoint.”

“I’m sure you don’t. Have a good night, ladies.” He stood up and started walking out the door.

“Hey, William!”

He turned around to look at Fred. “Yeah?”

“It’ll be okay,” she told him.

“What?”

“Whatever it is that’s bothering you. It’ll work out in the end. It always does.” She gave him a brilliant smile and waved.

“Thanks, pet.” He left the bar feeling much better than he had when he’d walked in.


*********************************************************

Xander and Anya accosted William as soon as he walked back into the waiting room on Buffy’s floor.

“Thank God!” Xander grabbed his arm and took a good look at him.

“Are you drunk? We were worried you’d gone out on a bender.” Anya looked at William then at Xander linking her arm through his to imply he was in agreement with her.

“ ‘M not going to lie. I did think about it an’ ended up at a bar.” William raised his hands when he saw their looks of disappointment. “But I didn’t. I put my drink down an’ came back here.” His two friends let out sighs of relief. “How is she?” William asked.

“Stable. No changes.” Anya placed her hand on his shoulder. “She’ll be fine, Will.”

He made a feeble attempt at a smile, walked over to a chair, and flopped down onto it. “I can’t live without her.”

Xander walked over to stand in front of him. “She’ll be fine. This is just a little bump in the road.”

“A bump in the road! Poor girl’s whole life has been one big bump in the road. If she makes it— When she makes it through this, I’m goin’ to make sure her life’s perfect.”
Anya shook her head. “You can’t guarantee that, William. There are bound to be ups and downs.”

“Yeah, well I’ll make sure to face every single one of ‘em with her. If she’ll have me.”

“She loves you. There’s no doubt about that,” Xander said.

“Hey guys, how’s she doing?” Tara walked in with
Willow. “William, you’re back! Are you okay?”

William nodded at the girls. “Just needed some time alone to think things through.”

Tara nodded. “If you need to talk, I’m happy to listen.”

“Ta, pet. I think I’m okay now. It’s good to have friends with me.” Turning to look at Xander he asked, “Is she taking visitors?”

“Yeah, though Doctor Giles said one person at a time.”

“Umm, William?”

William turned to look at the shy redhead. “Yeah, Red, what’s up?”

She smiled shyly at the nickname, looking down at her feet and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “You should know that even though she’s unconscious, Buffy is still able to sense what’s going on. She can tell your mood, and she might even be able to hear what you’re saying.”

“So if you’re upbeat and hopeful, she’ll sense that, and maybe she’ll come back faster,” Tara chimed in, taking
Willow’s hand to give her confidence.

“That’s good to know. Don’t know ‘bout feeling upbeat, but I’ll give it a shot. What room is she in?”

“Two Forty-Two.” Anya perked up from where she stood. “She has her own room. I think maybe because you kicked her doctor’s ass.”

“I didn’ kick his arse! An’ he wasn’t her doctor. Rupert is an’ he should’ve faced us himself. Bloody coward.”

“Did it occur to you that perhaps I was trying to help Buffy, and that’s why I was unable to give you the news myself?” Rupert Giles walked toward the group, his white coat billowing behind him as if he were some kind of superhero.

William scoffed at the idea. “Rupert.” he practically growled as he turned to look at the doctor. “Good of you to show up. Finally.”

“Actually, this is my third time tonight. I’ve been keeping Buffy’s friends well informed while you’ve been off on your- bender was it?” He turned to look at Anya for confirmation. The blonde looked down at her feet, afraid to meet William’s eyes. She knew he was giving her his death glare.

“Wasn’t on a bender. Just needed some time to think. Thanks for keeping an eye on her, Rupes.” He wasn’t about to apologize for his outburst earlier, but he knew the doctor didn’t need to stick around this long and keep them all so well informed. He was thankful to him for that.

“You scared my intern half to death. I don’t think he will be talking to patient’s families on his own for quite a long time.”

“Kid had it coming to ‘im. Very unprofessional an’ too young.” William knew he was being stubborn, but to hell with it, he had too many things to worry about to be mindful of his behavior. “So I’d like to see my girl now, if it’s all right?”

“Yes, of course. Would you like me to show you the way?” Rupert knew that William’s actions were a result of his love for Buffy, and he couldn’t really blame him. He would have done the same if he’d been approached in the same fashion.

“No, can find it on my own, thank you. We’ll talk later, Rupes.” William turned and began walking toward Buffy’s room, leaving his friends to handle the doctor on their own.

*********************************************************
He almost came undone when he walked into the room and saw her. She lay lifeless on the bed, her thin body and lack of hair making her appear sicker than ever because of the IV in her arm and the tube that protruded from her mouth. The constant beeping of the monitors didn’t do much to help her case. The room was colorless and sterile, making him wonder how she would want to come back if this was what awaited her. William slapped his hand over his mouth to contain the sob that wanted to come out of him. He felt a pain in his heart that he hadn’t felt since the day she had walked out on him. Remembering what Tara and Willow had told him about Buffy still being able to sense the mood in the room even though she was unconscious; he took a deep breath in and tried to calm himself down. Walking over to her, he took her hand in his and gently squeezed it.

“‘Lo, luv. Looks like you had a bit of trouble during your surgery. Don’ worry though, you’ll be right as rain in no time.” He couldn’t help the tears that ran down his cheeks and was grateful she couldn’t see. “Tara an’ her bird, Willow said that you could hear me, that you can sense my mood too. I want you to know I have no doubt in my mind that you’ll come back to me.”

Letting out a breath, he ran his hand through his hair and tried to take control of his emotions.

“I love you, Buffy.” Unable to hold back any longer he broke down in sobs. “What would I do without you?” He put his head down on the bed and tried to calm himself.
After a few minutes of silence he lifted his head and said, “I want to marry you. I know you won’t want to. You’ve only seen marriage end badly, but I’m going to ask you to live with me when you wake up. I can’t be away from you any longer.” He looked into her face for any sign of life, but she just lay there motionless. “I’m going to sell my house in Sunnydale if you agree. I think Maine’s a great place for us to start over.”
William sat by her side for what seemed like hours, until finally he placed his head down on her mattress, his hand still wrapped around hers and fell asleep.


Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts, opinions, ideas? Please let me know with a review. Pretty please?