Author's Chapter Notes:
This one was kinda fun to write. I'm still working on getting a beta, so changes to earlier chapters are on the horizon. Sometime this weekend, I'll hopefully have some edited chapters to share with you.

We hear what everyone thinks about Whistler's ultimatum, and Buffy and Spike have one of their famous 'porch-chats.'
Chapter 17



Strangely, there was no commotion after Whistler left. Everyone seemed lost in thought, each hoping to give advice and provide support for Buffy with this challenge. Giles was the first to speak, furiously polishing his glasses.


“Buffy, with as easily as Angelus was released, I do not believe that returning him to this world would be prudent.” Adjusting his glasses as he placed them on his nose, he continued, “Though I am not quite as enamored with Ellie as the rest of you seem to be, even I understand that this event, this brutal torture, was both extreme and violent. There is no excuse for this atrocity.”


Nodding, Buffy replied, “I thought you might say that.” With an encouraging smile, she said, “We have time, so I’d really like to hear everyone’s thoughts.”


Surprisingly, Drusilla was next. In her usual soft Cockney, she said, “I had a vision tonight just after we left the ritual site. It was fairly clear that no harm would come to any of us this night. It was wrong. For what it’s worth, I see that Angel will do much good if he is returned to this Earth to walk among us. I’m just not sure of my visions anymore, not since the ritual.”


Buffy was almost saddened by this revelation. ‘If she her vision was wrong tonight,’ she thought, ‘was her vision about me and Spike wrong too?’


Earlier in the night, her heart had gone out to both Dru and Spike. They had taken such care with Ellie, and it was obvious that love flowed freely through the family of vampires. As she watched Spike set Ellie’s broken bones, she realized that she COULD love someone like that, soulless vampire or no. Anyone with that capacity to love deserved that love in return.


Realizing that she was getting off-topic, she turned to Willow.


“Will, you’re my best friend. What do you think?”


Willow tried desperately to hide her desire to help with the curse, but failed miserably. Her enthusiasm was palpable as she responded, “I think we should re-soul him. Angel and Angelus are different people...errr...vampires. Having Angel back would be of the good, right?”


‘So,’ Buffy thought. ‘One for staying in hell, two for resouling.’


While she was thinking, one of the two obvious answers were spoken.


“No secret I hate the poofter, love. After what he did to Dru and Ellie, bastard deserves to rot,” Spike said simply.


Nodding, Buffy turned to Miss Calendar saying, “I assume you still want to re-curse him?”


“Yes Buffy, that is my mission, and I intend to complete it.”


The count was quickly becoming in favor of the curse. With only Ellie and her mother left to chime in, Ellie spoke.


“I usually put ma faith in Mummy’s visions, but I just can’t see lettin’ him run free again. Let ‘im burn!”


At last Buffy focused on her mother’s face, saying, “I know you don’t know much about this situation, so I’ll explain. You know Angel, right?” At her mother’s nod, she continued, “He was cursed with a soul by a clan of gypsies. He killed one of their clan back when he was Angelus. Angelus is evil to the core, but when he has a soul, he’s Angel, and he’s good. I don’t really know how to say this, but does someone like that deserve a second chance?”


Joyce thought long and hard about her daughter’s words. She could tell that Buffy still cared for Angel, but realized that his alter ego, Angelus was pure evil. Looking to the wounded vampire on the couch, she couldn’t help but empathize with her pain. What with Hank walking out on her, she knew pain, even emotional as her own was. Still, she firmly believed that every soul had the potential for good. If they could give Angel his goodness back...


“Since I don’t know as much about him as the others, I’ll say I’ve never been much of a fan of Angel. I’m not sure how much stock you should place in this, but I do think everyone deserves a second chance.”


Frustrated and angered, Spike stood quickly. He realized that Buffy would most likely choose to bring ol’ Peaches back and stuff the soul back in him. As Buffy’s eyes were drawn to him, he gruffly said, “’M goin for a fag.”


Proceeding to the door, he opened it and stepped through, closing it with a slam.


The clock on the wall chimed, signaling that there was just over a twenty minutes left to make her decision. Thinking for a few moments about her own decision, she finally spoke.


“I think it’s fairly obvious how the votes tallied up. I’ve made MY decision. I think we should give Angel that second chance.”



xxx



Spike heard her decision easily with his enhanced hearing. Cursing under his breath, he wasn’t prepared for Buffy to join him. Taking a long drag of his smoke and exhaling louder than needed, his disappointment was clearly heard in his voice.


“So I guess that’s it then, yeah? We bring the poof back and all’s well in Buffyland.”


Sighing softly, she sat down on the porch steps. Placing her head in her hands, she said, “I’m not in love with him anymore, you know.”


“Funny way of showin’ it, kitten.”


“This isn’t about loving him, Spike. This is about giving a good man a second chance.”


“Good man? You’re barmy! What do you know ‘bout ol’ Liam little girl? Speakin’ of little girls, you know they’re his favorite. Loved to whore around, you know. Stole money from his Da to pay for em. He wasn’t a good man then, love, and he wasn’t as Angel either, I’ll wager.”


“What do YOU know about Angel? You just met him a few days ago!”


“Don’t need to know the bastard, I already do! I’ll just bet he stalked you, snuck up on you, dropped a message or two, never really got his hands dirty, yeah? Tha’s old Liam to a T. He was always about the mind games, never about the brawl.”


Shaking her head, Buffy was tired. She WANTED to like Spike, she really did, but sometimes he made it so hard.


Now frustrated herself, she said, “How can I prove that I don’t love him anymore? That I just care about him as a friend and ally?”


Thinking for a bit, Spike’s slow grin was positively lecherous. Moving to stand before her at the bottom of the steps, he was just above eye-level with her. Leaning down and invading her personal space, he said huskily, “Kiss me.”


His eyes widened as she tentatively pressed her lips to his.


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks so much for reading. Stay tuned for more, and feel free to leave reviews!