Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you'll get a kick out of this chapter. A famous event from Season 4 is twisted and revisited to my liking.

Might be one more update today, but I'm getting to the point where I need some thinking time to plan out more of the story. It's been flowing pretty well up until now, but I'm really toying with a couple decisions that I'd like more time to process.

Chapter 18



Spike was so shocked that the cigarette dangling loosely from his fingers fell to the ground. Jerking back abruptly, he quickly spotted and crushed the glowing ember under a boot. He prepared to lean back towards Buffy’s inviting lips...but instead of revisiting her warm mouth, he found one of her hands covering it, her eyes wide in...shock? Revulsion? Crestfallen, he stepped back slightly, gaze falling to the ground. Not waiting for her to speak, his mouth opened of its own volition.


“Sorry love, ‘M a bad, rude man. I know ya said ya needed time and what-all, just couldn’t resist...”


She cut off his ramblings. “Spike, it’s okay,” she said softly. “I kissed YOU, remember?”


Eyes snapping back to hers quick as lightning, his face took on a look of quiet awe as he saw the truth in her own orbs. Calmer now, he could smell that she was nervous. It wasn’t revulsion he had seen, but a fear of the unknown...fear of FEELING again so soon.


“It’s just, not the time, okay?” she continued.


“Right. Time an’ place an’ all that rot,” he replied with a nod.


“You still need a minute, or can we go back in? It’s almost time for Whistler to be back,” she asked.


“Nah, we can head on in. Bein’ peckish and cravin’ a smoke’s never a good combination,” he replied.


“Peck-ish? OH! You mean hungry! I don’t understand why you just can’t speak English like the rest of us.” Pausing, a thought struck her. In a colder tone, she said, “What exactly have you been eating?”


Taking a deep breath into his dead lungs, he finally said, “I won’ lie to ya love, our first night in Sunnyhell both me and Dru had human blood, straight from the tap. Last couple nights though, Ellie insisted that we drink that pig swill she likes so much. Didn’ know at the time, but I guess she figured you’d not like it if we had the real thing. Makes sense now.”


Saddened by the thought of innocents dying on her watch, Buffy was also relieved that they’d been drinking butcher’s blood for the remainder of their stay.


“What will you do now?” she asked.


“I’ve got a stash from the butcher at the factory; ‘m sure Ellie has some at her place. Figure I’ll sneak out durin’ the night an’ nab enough to last the three of us for a bit.”


“I would appreciate that, Spike. I can’t have you guys killing in my town.”


“I know, Slayer. Chosen one and all.” Rueful smile on his face, he continued, “Doesn’ mean I have to like it though. The things a bloke has to do for the annoyin’ lil’ chits in their life...”


An indignant “Hey!” spilled from Buffy’s lips as she translated his last sentence.


Chuckling softly, he said, “So bloody beautiful when you’re like that, kitten. Makes me wanna eat you right up.”
Blushing furiously, Buffy couldn’t find any words in retort. Luckily for her, Giles’ head poked through and he said, “Whistler has returned. He’s waiting rather, impatiently for your decision.”


Resignedly, Spike extended a hand to Buffy in order to help her to her feet. She took it gratefully and he led her back into the house, this time with no resistance to his hand at the small of her back.



xxx



The room was much as Spike and Buffy had left it. Ellie, obviously feeling well enough to pout, remained lain across the sofa, while Drusilla was still chatting amicably with her mother. Willow and Jenny seemed to be talking about the coming curse, and Giles had resumed his position near both her mother and Drusilla, wary of the now sane vampiress. Whistler was pacing impatiently, as Giles had said, stopping to look at his watch every few steps.


Noticing that both Buffy and Spike had returned, sighed loudly. “Finally! I don’t have all day you know.”


Several pairs of eyes rolling, Buffy responded calmly, “I’ve decided to give Angel another chance.”


Nodding, Whistler asked, “Where do you want him?”


Puzzled, Buffy asked in return, “What do you mean where do I want him?”


As if talking to a small child, he replied, “I have to have somewhere to return him to. So where will it be?”


Giles was the first to respond. “I believe that we could successfully chain him to the bathtub in my flat. The pipes are old and very strong. But I will need to know exactly how long I should be expecting a...visitor.”


Jenny spoke up, “The curse has long been lost to my clan, it could take weeks to search for it.”


Relieved that they were FINALLY getting somewhere, Whistler eagerly cut in. “Gypsy, if it’ll get him out of our hair, I’ll personally make sure you have the curse by tomorrow morning. Heck, in thanks for the quiet we’ll have, I’ll even toss in the ingredients!”


Jenny seemed pleased and resumed talking animatedly with Willow. The younger witch was extremely excited, Miss Calendar having stated she would need her assistance with the spell.


Giles had one last question. “Since I’m obviously not at my flat currently, how can I be sure that he won’t escape before I can return home?”


Huffing once again, Whistler replied, “I can spare some more time to watch him until you get there.”
Once all parties were satisfied, Whistler tipped the brim of his fedora once more and blinked back into the abyss.



xxx



Angelus was strangely quiet as Whistler appeared before him. Confused, Whistler said, “Well, my boy, it seems as though you’ve been granted another go at life.”


Nodding silently, Angelus had a sinister grin on his face.


In response, Whistler wasn’t sure what to think. Using his powers to transport them to Giles’ flat, he made sure Angelus was secured to the tub before sitting down on the toilet seat to wait. He hadn’t noticed the odd trail of ashen footprints in the darkened room they had just left.


Chapter End Notes:
Wonder who that visitor was? Hrmmmm...you'll find out soon! Thanks again for reading and feel free to review.