Author's Chapter Notes:
Now we throw Angel into the mix. Shouldn't be much more than googley eyes with Buffy/Angel, but we will see some of his overbearing streak. This story will be all Spuffy, don't worry. Just need to stir things up some more. Hope the subtle hints I dropped will be enough to whet your appetite for now :)
Chapter 3

From the shadows, Angel lurked. That was one thing he was damn good at. That and thinking, of course. Watching the exchange between Buffy, Spike, and the unknown vampire, he grew anxious. If Spike was here, that meant without a doubt that Drusilla was as well. Those two had been inseparable for near a century now. This posed a great threat to Buffy, and Angel found himself growing even more protective of the young Slayer. Now add a new being to the mix? One with power? It seemed that the younger vamp was a witch pre-turning, and had retained her grasp of the arcane. Spike on the other hand, was a conundrum. He NEVER backed down from a fight, ever. To see him so easily cooled from violence both confused and unnerved Angel to no end. And to hear him call and be called sibling to this mysterious vamp was disheartening. He had tried desperately to end the family line by forbidding his insane child and her ‘Dark Prince’ to Sire more Childer, but obviously his warning had gone unheeded. As he overheard his newly-found Grand-Childe tell Buffy that she was the witch responsible for the town’s sudden descent into madness, he knew it was time to step in. Buffy would need his help, no matter how strongly she protested it.

xxx

Looking towards her oncoming Grand-Sire, Ellie thought, ‘Well, well, well. This should be interesting.’

She giggled.

Taken aback, Buffy lashed out, “Hey we’re talking here! What’s this about you being in charge of the all-access crazy pass?”

The giggles ceased, and Ellie returned a knowing eye to the petite blonde.

“It seems we have a visitor, Slayer,” Ellie stated with a slow drawl.

Quickly whipping her head as far as the bonds would allow, she felt relieved.

“Angel!” she breathed.

“Buffy! What’s happened to you?” Angel exclaimed.

“I don’t know, some kind of spell or something, I can’t move from the neck down!”

“Don’t worry Buffy, I’ll find a way to get you free.”

While Ellie resumed giggling softly, Spike watched the exchange between his Grand-Sire and the cute little Slayer with interest. ‘Wait,’ he thought. ‘Cute? Buggerin’ hell mate, you can’t think the fuckin’ Slayer is CUTE. Jus’ no’ right. Sure she’s just a slip ‘f a thing with a temper like no other, and man ‘f that in’t a turn-on, but you have your ripe wicked plum waiting at the factory!’ Equally floored by his sister’s lack of fear or respect for the elder vamp, Spike decided to open his mouth, in effort to deflect his Sire’s anger towards himself.

“Oi! Peaches! Still chasin’ that redemption I see. Eatin rats and broodin’ I’ll wager. How’s that workin’ out for ya mate?”

Eyes rolling, Angel replied, “Shut up, Spike.” Eyes moving to the red-head, he continued in a low growl, “Release Buffy you little upstart!”

Ellie’s giggles grew to all-out laughter. “You really think I’m going to release her before we’ve finished chatting? We were just gettin’ to the good part when you hadta barge on in. So why don’t you just mosey on off and let us finish, no harm done? I assure ya, she’s not in any danger from me or Spike, we just need to have a lil’ talk.”

Enraged at Ellie’s casual demeanor and complete lack of respect, ‘No surprise where she got that little trait,’ Angel mused briefly, looking at Spike pointedly. Spike just grinned proudly. Putting his superior size and physical strength to work Angel lunged at the young vampire. Expecting an easy victory, he was completely unprepared for the stake that hurtled through the air and embedded itself into his chest, precisely where his heart would be. If it weren’t on the wrong side of his chest, of course.

In a deathly chilled voice, Ellie spoke. “Next time I won’t miss. Do NOT approach me again, especially not after what you did to my Mummy.”

Loud guffaws sprung from Spike’s throat. “Ellie, you’ve got bollocks to spare. That was right funny!”

“Thanks big bro, gotta take this big oaf down a peg or two,” Ellie giggled.

Shocked and incensed, and with no small amount of pain, Angel replied, “Let her GO!”

Calmly, Ellie merely said, “No.”

Turning back towards the Slayer, who watched on in anguish as her long-time crush was injured so easily, Ellie resumed their earlier conversation. “Now Slayer, back to the issue of trust. I have a proposition for ya.” Accent singing through, she continued, “I ain’t got no thrall, and Spike here don’t either. I need to talk to ya a bit, then you can go back to your Watcher and talk things out. Will ya come inside and take a listen to what I have to say?”
Incredulous, Buffy was momentarily speechless. ‘With all that power, enough to easily stake Angel before he could fight back, she’s still ASKING me to talk? What the...’ she thought.

Regaining her voice, she responded with her usual gusto. “Anything you say Angel can hear too! You can say it right here and now!”

Spike shook his head and wondered, ‘The hell is Ellie up to?’

“Sorry darlin’, don’t work thataway. Either we go inside and your sugarplum goes ‘a packin’, or I teleport him to Siberia and we have it out here in the yard.”

Mouth agape, Buffy wasn’t quite sure what to do. Siberia wouldn’t kill Angel for sure, but it was far enough away that he would be of no help to her for months, maybe longer. She would miss him; she couldn’t afford an emotional trial such as that while the town was in trouble...not to mention three strong vamps along for the ride. While the vamp-witch had the power to bind her body and sling a mean stake, could she be bluffing about the teleport? Could Buffy take that risk? Decision made, Buffy tentatively responded, her voice lacking its usual fire.

“Alright. You have my attention.” she conceded. Turning her head towards Angel, she continued, “Angel, please leave. Go to Giles and let him know what’s happened, he’ll know what to do.”

“What?? Buffy are you crazy? She could just be taking you in there to kill you, or worse, let Spike kill you!!” Angel exclaimed, exasperated.

With a small smile, she replied, “Angel, if she wanted us dead or dust we would be already. I’ll be okay. Just...go for now, and I’ll see you later, safe and sound, I promise.”

Reluctantly, Angel turned. Without looking back (and with no small hint of Angelus) he quietly said, “Harm one hair on her head and you’ll wish you were dust.”

Though he couldn’t see her, Ellie nodded. “Not one hair,” she said. “Just gonna be doin’ some talkin’.”

Walking away with slowly quickening steps, Angel headed to Giles’s flat, hoping to return to the old house with Watcher in tow to kill the new thorn in his side. His failure: his family.


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again for reading. Tried something new with the format so see how you like that. May stick with it.