Author's Chapter Notes:
We finish what was started in chapter 5, as well as run smack back in to our bumbling search party. Off we go!
Chapter 6

“So let me get this straight,” Buffy said. “You need my blood and Angel’s blood for some ritual so you can make insane killer sane again? Excuse me while I don’t think this is a good idea.”


Sighing, Ellie stated, “I didn’t want to have to play this way, but I guess I’ll have to. If you and Angelus don’t participate willingly in the ritual, I WILL channel my Sire’s insanity into the town of Sunnydale...forever.”


Buffy gasped. “I thought you said you just wanted to live in peace!! How is this not evil?” she exclaimed.


“Calm yourself down Slayer. Ellie would never hurt anyone if she didn’t feel she had to. Dru means more to us than you can possibly imagine. What if it was your mother? What would you do, pet?” Spike said softly.


Taken aback, Buffy wasn’t sure what to do. On one hand, making an insane vamp sane wasn’t such a bad idea. Sanity was usually of the good. On the other, however, Drusilla was still a killer and would most likely remain so. Then there was the fact that the whole town would go crazy and stay that way forever if she didn’t. Classic damned-if-you-do damned-if-you-don’t scenario. One thing was clear. Ellie had gotten all her ducks in a row, that was for sure. And as for Spike’s words, she had to admit that if it WERE her mother, she would do anything in her power to save her. After several moments of silent contemplation, Buffy finally spoke.


“I need time to think, talk to my Watcher and Angel. I make no guarantees, but for the town’s sake I will consider your terms.”


“As you wish,” Ellie replied, smirking. Rising, she led Buffy to the door. “When you’ve made your decision, take this necklace, hold it, and think of me. I’ll know where to find you. Just...make sure it’s at night if ya would, much obliged.”


Taking the small crystal necklace with its simple gold chain, Buffy nodded. “Right,” she said.


Walking down the rickety steps, Buffy heard Ellie call out, “The town will stay sane for twenty-four more hours. The ritual MUST take place on the night of the full moon, two nights from now.”


Nodding slightly, Buffy continued down the walk towards home.



xxx



After the conversation ended and Buffy had long since left, Spike sat staring out the open window. The moon was nearly full and let much light into the small sitting room. ‘Dru sane again,’ he thought. ‘Not sure if I want that or not...’


“So big brother,” Ellie said cutting into his thoughts, “This is great right? We’ll have Mummy back in one piece!”


“You think the Slayer will go for it?” he asked.


“I think she has to.” she responded, giggling madly.



xxx



Buffy was lost in thought as she wandered back to 1630 Revello Drive. While it had been Ellie with much to say earlier in the night, now Buffy felt the need to get some things off her chest. She knew she had to face Giles and Angel as well as the Scoobies, she just didn’t have the will to do that at the moment. For now, a good cup of cocoa and a chat with her mother seemed to be the best course of action. Mom always knew just what to say.



xxx



Unfortunately for Buffy, that was not in the cards for her tonight. Not realizing that it was well past three in the morning, she was startled out of her thoughts by Angel’s frantic yelling not two blocks from home.


“Buffy! You’re alright!” Angel called, surprised.


“Hi Angel. Yes, I’m fine. Slayer here, I can take care of myself, ya know.” she replied.


“Of course you can,” interjected Giles, out of breath from walking so fast trying to catch Angel, who had ‘picked up her scent’ several blocks earlier and dashed off. Continuing, he said, “You had us worried! What with Angel injured and you locked in magical bonds we did fear the worst!”


“We think the red-headed vamp cloaked the house. We couldn’t find it. Did you dust them?” Angel asked pointedly.


“What? No, of course not. We just talked for a while.” Buffy replied.


“WHAT?” Angel shouted.


“Do lower your voice Angel,” Giles said softly. “People are trying to sleep...such as myself two hours ago.”


“Sorry, I just can’t imagine a Slayer who lets two powerful and dangerous vamps to run free!” Angel replied.


“Angel, we had a truce for the night. I’m a Slayer of my word, and I would appreciate it if you remembered that this is MY town, MY show, and it is MY decision who and what gets slayed!” Buffy exclaimed, exasperated.


“But Buffy...” Angel began.


“But nothing Angel. I always appreciate your help, and we WILL talk this out, but not right now okay? I just need some sleep. I had to digest a lot of info tonight, and I’m wiped. Can we do this tomorrow? With everyone there?”


“Buffy...if there are dangerous vamps out there, surely this cannot wait,” Giles pointed out.


“We have 24 hours of town-wide sanity to decide what to do. I plan to use at least some of that to sleep!” she said firmly. “We’ll all meet at the library right after school to discuss what I learned tonight, okay?”


Conceding defeat, both Giles and Angel nodded in agreement.


“Can I at least walk you home Buffy?” Angel asked hopefully.


“I just need to be alone a while, it was a lot to take in. I’ll be fine, just gonna crawl up the tree and sneak back to bed before Mom gets up.”


“Very well Buffy, do call if you need me, I doubt I’ll be getting back to sleep any time soon,” Giles said, glaring at Angel. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be returning to my flat.”


Saying ‘goodnight’ to Giles, Buffy turned to Angel. “Angel, I know this is hard, but I really do need some time to think. I’m the Slayer, and while this may not be apocalypty, there’s still an important decision I need to make. So I’ll see you tomorrow?” she ended hopefully.


“Sure Buffy, be safe.”


Leaning down, Angel swooped in for what he was sure would be a goodnight kiss. Unfortunately, Buffy turned her head at the last second and he merely brushed her cheek. Puzzled and slighted, Angel turned and walked away.


‘Why the heck didn’t I let him kiss me?’ Buffy thought. Thinking back to the new male vamp in town, she was shocked to realize that she found Spike more attractive than Angel. ‘GRRRRRR,’ she thought. ‘What is it about me and vamps? And the new one is pure evil!! Isn't he?’


Shaking her head from side to side quickly, she decided to think about it all tomorrow. She quietly crept up the tree and slid into her bedroom. After changing into a pair of boxers and an oversized t-shirt, she hung the gifted necklace onto her vanity before crawling gratefully into her bed. She was fast asleep shortly after.


Unbeknownst to Buffy, Angel, or Giles, another figure watched on in interest. No one heard the low growl when Angel tried to kiss Buffy, nor did they see the swish of black leather as the figure slunk back into the shadows.


Chapter End Notes:
Please keep those reviews coming! Love to hear from you guys!