Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the second update of the evening. :) Things have started to slow down a bit for me so hopefully it won't be so long between updates anymore. The next chapter is already written it just needs a quick edit and my hope is to have it up this next week. Hope you enjoy this one! It's a bit slow, but I needed to try to develop a few things before diving into the next couple of chapters. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and have a great New Year!
"Spike," Dawn squealed throwing herself into the arms of the bleached blonde who had just walked through the door of the Giles residence.

"Niblet," Spike replied wrapping his arms tightly around the teen.

"I'm so glad you guys came!" she said disentangling herself from Spike and moving to give her sister a hug. "Though I'm still mad that you didn't tell me that you guys were going off to get married. I'm just so excited!"

Buffy just grinned at her younger sister. A part of her was still uncomfortable about lying to Dawn about the true circumstances of their marriage. She was afraid of what it could do to Dawn if things didn't work out between her and Spike. Dawn would be devastated, she was sure. But seeing her sister so happy with Spike she pushed the worry aside.

"It was a bit of a surprise to me too, Dawnie." Buffy confessed.

"I'm just glad! Now I can spend as much time as I want with Spike and I don't have to worry about you finding out and being mad!"

Buffy looked at Spike in surprise; who in turn just looked down at the floor, shuffling his feet in embarrassment. He hadn't intended for Buffy to find out that way that he had been spending time with her sister. Now he was sure that she wouldn't mind, but he knew that when he first got back she would have had a fit knowing Dawn had instantly started spending time with him again. Mostly it was at the rink when Buffy wasn't around, and mostly had to do with him helping her with schoolwork, or just talking. The girl had grown up a lot while he was gone, but she was still like a little sister to him. One of the toughest moments he had had when he first got back had been with Dawn. She had not taken his abrupt departure well.

"Dawnie," Buffy said slowly, trying to absorb what the girl had just said. "I would never be upset with you for hanging out with Spike."

"But I know you were upset when he left, and when he came back you were still pretty mad. I figured you wouldn't like me hanging out with him." Dawn wrung her hands together in front of her wondering if perhaps she had been wrong about her sister's reaction and mentally slapping herself for even bringing it up.

Buffy looked back and forth from her sister to Spike and sighed. Spike wouldn't meet her gaze and Dawn seemed worried about her reaction. Before she could say anything Giles wandered into the front hall from the kitchen.

"Ah, Buffy, Spike, I'm glad you are here. Dinner seems to be just about ready." he said before turning to Dawn. "Dawn would you mind going and checking on the bread?"

"Buffy come with me." Dawn said grabbing her sister's hand and dragging the elder girl behind her towards the kitchen.

"Got a moment, Rupert?" Spike asked watching the girls go.

"Of course, what's on your mind Spike?" Giles asked, curious as to what the young man would need to speak with him about now.

"Buffy and I opened some of the gifts that were given to us at that little shindig you did for us this afternoon." Spike told Giles as he reached into his pocket to retrieve the small box from her stalker. "This happened to be with them."

Curious Giles took the gift and carefully opened it. "That bloody wanker!"

Spike couldn't help but chuckle at Giles' response. "Right there with ya, Rupert. You have any ideas how this could have gotten there? Don't know that we ever really thought this guy had a connection to the rink, but..." he let his voice drift off as the girls walked back into the room. Giles quickly replaced the lid on the box and stuffed it into the drawer of a nearby table.

"I'll make sure that gets to one of your team." Giles said quietly before the girls were in hearing range.

"Rolls are fresh and hot and on the table, Giles." Dawn reported her tone serious, but a grin on her face.

"Wonderful, ladies, let's adjourn to the dining room."

Buffy waited for Spike to walk to her then grasped his hand as they started towards the dining room. Dinner was pleasant, Dawn and Spike's banter providing a wealth of entertainment for Buffy. The couple didn't linger long after dinner, though they promised Dawn that she would be welcome to come over anytime to spend time with either one of them. Dawn just grinned and said she may wait awhile so that they could get out of their honeymoon phase. Buffy had blushed, while Spike just grinned at her proclamation.

Buffy grasped Spike's hand the minute they walked into the house and pulled him over towards the couch. She lightly pushed him down then sat down so she was facing him.

"Spike," she began quietly, "why didn't you tell me that Dawn was hanging out with you?"

Spike sighed and looked down at their clasped hands.

"Wasn't really hangin' out so much...At first the niblet just wanted to let out her unhappiness with my leaving. Since you and I weren't really an official thing when I left, I never thought about it hurting her when I left like I did. Apparently it did. I let her get it out, and we talked a bit; then she started showing up more and more at the rink just to say hi, or ask me for help on homework. I just couldn't say no to her. Missed her almost as much as I missed you while I was gone."

"Spike, no matter what you are always welcome to spend time with Dawn." Buffy told him softly, giving his hand a squeeze. "I'm sorry that you guys felt that you had to hide that from me."

"Didn't really think of it as hiding, just didn't make a deal of it." Spike told her. "Guess a part of me didn't want to risk it. Spending time with Dawn let me know what was going on with you."
Buffy was silent for a moment, letting her hand softly caress his. "You know, we never have really talked about you leaving."

"Buffy..." Spike started to say, sure she was going to ask him to explain why again. A part of him felt ready to confess all, but greater still he didn't want to risk the relationship they were slowly building.

"I know you may not be ready to explain yet Spike, I get it." Buffy said raising a hand to his lips to silence him. "But I need to talk for a minute."

Spike slowly nodded and waited in silence for her to continue.

"I know we never really acknowledged things in public and when you left a part of me was glad that we didn't so I didn't have to go through all that drama. But...it was still hard. My friends didn't understand why I was suddenly so hurt and I couldn't tell them. I just couldn't admit that I had driven off another guy."

"Buffy, I..."

"Shh... still talking," she reprimanded sternly, but with a smile. "I never imagined you leaving would hurt as much as it did. It nearly broke me, Spike. When you came back, I didn't know why or if we could somehow reconnect? You never told me why you felt you had to leave so I didn't know if it was something we could fix. Now...Now, I still don't know, but...I want to believe that we can and will make something of this."

Spike finally interrupted Buffy, unable to keep silent any longer. "Buffy, love, I know we can. I just..." He ran his fingers through his hair messing up the curls as he fought to find the right words to say. "I just need a little more time. But believe me when I say that I do want this. Never really wanted anything else."

Buffy moved so she straddled Spike's lap, wrapping her arms around his neck. "That's good to know." she whispered before closing the distance between them and pressing her lips to his. Spike immediately slipped his hands under her shirt and caressed the warm skin of her back. Buffy melted under his touch, loving the heated feel of his hands on her flesh. Not breaking the kiss she reached down and pulled at his t-shirt desperate to feel his skin. She still didn't feel completely comfortable being so forward with Spike, but there were times when he just brought out a different side of her. When he touched her, her insecurities and any residual feelings of shyness simply disappeared.

They finally broke apart for Buffy to pull his shirt over his head. Spike did the same for her, quickly stripping off her top though leaving her bra intact. His hands came around to cup her breasts and Buffy let out a low moan when he gave them a gentle squeeze.

"So beautiful," Spike whispered trailing kisses down her neck, over her collarbone and into the valley between her breasts. Buffy closed her eyes and brought her head down to rest for a moment on Spike's curls. Suddenly not content to simply let him have all the fun, she dug her fingers into his hair and gently pulled his head back. Her breath caught as she saw the stormy desire reflected in his now lust darkened eyes. It amazed her to think that he wanted her so completely.

"Spike," she whispered just before attacking his lips again. Suddenly it was as if she couldn't get enough of the feel of him. Without breaking apart they somehow managed to end up stretched out on the couch, Spike partially on top of Buffy.

"Fuck, pet, I don't know what you've done to me." Spike whispered pulling away to let his lips travel down to her breasts. "Never wanted anyone as much as I want you."

"Really?" her voice came out low and raspy. Her hands slid down his chest and fumbled with the buckle of his pants as he effortlessly snapped the clasp to her bra.

"Never, Buffy." He responded, groaning as her hand slipped inside his pants to grasp his throbbing cock. "You are my golden goddess. Was a bloody fool to walk away from you before."

Buffy's eyes had drifted down between their bodies watching her hand as she pumped his cock, but now they quickly snapped up to stare at him. Stormy blue eyes were staring back down at her and it shocked her to see concern and worry reflected in his eyes. Her hands suddenly came up to cup his face.

"Spike…"she whispered tugging his head down closer to hers, so eventually their foreheads were pressed together.

"Don't let me fuck this up, Buffy." He pleaded. "Please don't…."

"Shh," she said thumbs caressing his cheeks. "Make love to me, Spike. Show me how much you want me."

Spike captured her lips in his, determined to show her through actions how much he loved her. He couldn't say the words yet, but surely he could show her. Clothes were quickly discarded in a frenzied hurry to come together. Later Spike carried Buffy to their bedroom and they made love again before falling to sleep curled together under the blankets.

That weekend Buffy made plans for her and Spike to join Willow, Darrell, Xander and Anya at the Bronze for an evening of socialization. When Spike and Buffy arrived they found Xander and Anya at a table in the corner.

"Buffster!" Xander said enthusiastically, excited to see his friend.

"Hey Xander," she replied, taking a seat on the chair next to him. Spike settled on the chair next to her.

"Congratulations, Buffy." Anya said, uncharacteristically solemn. "I was surprised when Xander told me that you two had gotten married."

"Thank you, Anya." Buffy said, squeezing Spike's hand beneath the table. He was obviously uncomfortable, being the odd one out of their group. He had never spent much time in the past with Buffy and her friends. Buffy didn't recall seeing Xander at the party earlier that week which had surprised her, but she wasn't sure how to bring it up. Xander had never liked Spike, she was well aware of that, but she hadn't thought it would keep him away.

"You, uh, want a drink, love?" Spike asked after a few moments of awkward silence.

"I would love one." Buffy replied with a smile.

Spike stood up and looked at the other occupants of the table. "You lovebirds need anything?"

Xander stood before Anya could say anything. "I'll go with you."

Spike nodded curtly. Pressing a quick kiss to Buffy's forehead he walked towards the bar with Xander, leaving the girls at the table alone.

Both men were silent as they walked to the bar and ordered their drinks. It became almost an uncomfortable silence once their order was placed. Finally Xander spoke up.

"Look, man, I know we haven't always got along." Xander said. Spike snorted; entertained by the fact that Xander thought they had ever gotten along. "And I sure as hell don't know what you're playing at with Buffy, but you hurt her and there's going to be hell to pay."

"Don't know what you're goin' on about Harris." Spike replied. "I've got no intention of hurting Buffy."

"We both know your track record with women, Spike. Buffy may be blind to it, but the rest of us aren't. I don't…"

"Stop right there, Harris. You don't know shit about me. If all I wanted to do was fuck the chit I sure as hell wouldn't have married her. Not that I should have to defend myself to you. Buffy's a big girl, she can make her own decisions." Spike interjected, frustrated at Xander. He reached out and grabbed the drinks the bartender had just put down in front of him and turned to leave Xander behind. He didn't want to ruin the evening for Buffy, but he wasn't about to listen to Xander threaten him.

"Spike!" Xander called out. Spike stopped, but didn't turn around to face him. Xander grabbed his own drinks and quickly caught up to Spike. "Look, we don't like each other. I get that. But we both care about Buffy. I just don't want to see her hurt. I don't get what the hell you did to get her to run off and marry you, and to tell you the truth, I don't want to. She deserves better than you, but somehow you got her to choose you."

Spike eyed Xander suspiciously for a moment. "Know I don't deserve the girl, Harris. But you just need to get it through your thick skull that I have no intention of hurting her. I love her, no changing that."

The two men eyed each other for a few tense moments then Xander nodded. "Guess I'll have to learn to deal."

Spike nodded back then continued his trip back to the table. Willow and Darrell had joined Buffy and Anya and the group was talking animatedly.

"Diet Coke for my girl," Spike said placing a glass down in front of Buffy while giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. Buffy smiled up at him and his heart swelled. Here they were, out with her friends and they were together, he almost couldn't believe it. Didn't matter that Harris didn't particularly care for him. He didn't particularly care for the boy. Always had a tendency to try to manage Buffy's life. He had seen it first-hand a number of times. Buffy had always been a strong willed woman, he didn't get why she often let her friends have control. Even now he knew she looked to them for approval of their relationship.

"Spike!" Buffy said, drawing him out of his thoughts.

"What?" he said, confused as to why she was looking at him expectantly." Sorry, love, I didn't catch that."

"Willow was just asking when the next hockey camp was, and if Angel was coming back for it." Buffy told him. She looked at him carefully, wondering where his thoughts had wandered to. She wondered if he was as nervous to be out with her friends as she was.

"Oh…uh…think it's coming up in October. Don't know if Angel will be back for it thought." Spike answered, struggling to refocus his attention on the conversation.

"Have you set the roster for the junior team yet?" Xander asked. While he no longer played, having given it up in high school, he still enjoyed attending a game or two.

Spike looked at him in surprise. "Just 'bout, still working on a few. Plannin' on coming to a few games, Harris?"

"A few," Xander replied with an indifferent shrug.

Silence once again reigned among the three men as the three women moved into a new conversation. After a few minutes Spike looked over and saw Xander and Darrell conversing, feeling slightly like the odd man out, he scooted his chair closer to Buffy, casually letting his arm rest on the back of her chair. She turned and gave him a quick smile when his fingers started tracing patterns on her bare arm, then turned back to her friends. Finally a slow song started playing and the other two couples quickly disappeared onto the dance floor leaving Buffy and Spike alone.

Spike let his hand wander up her arm and then over her back tracing the outline of her dress. He felt her shiver under his touch and suppressed a grin. He enjoyed that he could get a reaction from just touching her, not even needing to say a word.

"So this has been nice," Buffy commented after a few moments of silence, desperately trying to get her reaction to Spike under control. Regardless of what they had done together over the past week since getting married, she still felt a little awkward in his presence.

Spike just nodded, his gaze remaining on the dance floor and his hand still caressing her skin softly. Buffy turned her head slightly to study him. She knew he was feeling about as uncomfortable as she was around her friends. They were okay with each other in private, but she was still unsure exactly what was expected in public. For her the relationship was still pretty new, yet their friends were sure to expect more from them as newlyweds.

"I know it's going to take some time for them to get used to us," Buffy began, desperate to erase the silence between them. "But Willow's happy for us. I mean I know she doesn't really know everything. I'm sure she would totally wig out if she knew the whole story, but that doesn't really matter now does it? I mean we are together, just not in the way they think. At least I think we are…"

Buffy's voice trailed off as Spike took his gaze off the dance floor and eyed her. She lowered her gaze after a few moments, feeling oddly vulnerable to his penetrating stare. Spike watched her for a few moments, surprised when she lowered her eyes and wouldn't meet his gaze. She had been babbling, something he found quite adorable, but it was what she said that really got to him. They were together. Something he often had to remind himself. This wasn't just a plan to keep her safe anymore. They weren't just pretending at being a couple. They really were.

"Dance with me." Buffy shivered as she felt his breath caress her neck, his lips lightly touching that sensitive spot just behind her ear that he had discovered. Spike stood quickly, after all it had been a statement not a question, and held out a hand to her. Buffy took his hand and stood on shaky feet. Memories of their first dance flooded her mind. She wondered if Spike remembered too.

Spike led her to a less crowded area of the dance floor and pulled her close, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist, while Buffy's automatically came up to encircle his neck. Tentatively she rested her head on his chest relaxing when Spike tightened his grip on her and rested his chin on top of her head as he swayed them back and forth to the music.

"We're together, Buffy." Spike said a few moments later. Buffy pulled her head back and looked up at him in surprise. Spike could see the question in her eyes and continued speaking. "It doesn't matter what your friends think or know it won't change things."

She gave him a brilliant smile then stretched up to press her lips to his in a quick kiss.

"What was that for, love?" he asked in surprise; Buffy could still be rather reserved in showing him affection in public or private.

"To say thank you for being you." she replied with a grin, pleased to have caught him off guard.

"'m always me, sweetheart."

"I know, but you just..." Buffy paused for a moment; her lips pressed tightly together trying to figure out what she wanted to say. While she was thinking her fingers were playing with Spike's hair creating a mess of curls out of his normally slicked back hair. Spike almost groaned aloud as he watched her tongue dart out to wet her lips. Instead he just attempted to pull her even closer, pressing her body tightly to his.

"You just seem to say exactly what I need to hear at exactly the right time," she said finally. "I don't know how you do it."

"Don't really do nothin' 'cept say what I think, love." Spike grinned a little sheepishly then added, "Usually gets me in more trouble than it gets me thanked."

Buffy grinned; she was well aware how often his mouth got him in trouble, at least it had in the past.

"'sides, was only tellin' the truth. We are together. Doesn't really matter what everyone thinks yeah?"

"Yeah," Buffy sighed. The song they had been dancing to ended and Buffy moved to pull away. Spike pulled her back into his embrace as another slower song started. Out of the corner of his eye he saw her friends returning to the table and their drinks, but he wasn't ready to let Buffy go just yet.

"One more dance, sweetheart," he murmured in her ear.

"Mmm, okay," she replied pressing herself closer, enjoying the security of Spike's arms.

Spike carefully maneuvered them so they were in a darker corner of the room, away from the crowd. Letting his hands slide down her sides, he grasped her hips and pulled her lower body flush against his.

"Love the feel of you so close to me," he murmured pressing his lips to the spot just below her ear. Buffy let out a soft moan and moved her head to give him better access to her neck.

"Really like this little dress of yours." Spikes voice was low and rumbled as he spoke between light kisses pressed along her neck. "Fits you like a glove; shows off the best parts of you."

"Spike!" Buffy gasped when he brought a hand up to gently cup then squeeze a breast through the fabric of her dress.

"Shh," he whispered not moving his hand. "No one can see us."

Buffy blinked open her eyes and saw that he was right. He had expertly maneuvered them into a dark corner.

"You wear this dress just for me, kitten?" he asked fingers tracing along one of the thin straps of the blood red dress she wore.

Buffy blushed and was grateful Spike couldn't see her red cheeks because of the dark. She had worn it just for him and had hoped he would like it. She normally didn't dress up for a night out at the Bronze, but she had discovered the never worn dress as she was unpacking earlier in the day. She remembered buying it some time ago, but never having the right opportunity to wear it. Tonight seemed the perfect time.

"Well, I know red is your favorite color," her voice was low and soft, her breath teasing at his ear.

"'specially on you." He told her before turning his head and capturing her lips in a kiss causing Buffy to melt further into his embrace. The sounds of the club slowly disappeared as she focused solely on Spike and the way he was making her feel. When he finally tore his mouth from hers they were both breathing heavily.

"You are so beautiful, Buffy." Spike whispered trailing kissing down the side of her throat, his hands skimming along her sides for a moment before returning to gently cup her breasts. "So fucking beautiful."

"Mmm, Spike!" Buffy gasped again as he slid one of the straps of her dress off her shoulder kissing his way across her collar bone. "We can't, not here."

Either Spike didn't hear her or he ignored her, moving his other hand to the other strap as his mouth moved softly over her skin.

"Spike," Buffy repeated a little more forcefully, hands coming up to tangle in his hair and attempted to pull his head away from her chest. She didn't want to, she loved what Spike was doing to her, but she knew if she didn't stop him now the others at the club would get a very interesting show. Threading her fingers through his hair she tightened her grip and tilted his head back so he would look her in the eye. His eyes were dark and cloudy with lust making her wish they weren't at the Bronze where everyone could watch them.

"Not here," she whispered giving him a quick kiss.

Spike nodded, not yet trusting himself to speak. He hadn't intended for things to get as far as they had. He had only wanted to dance with her, but it just felt so damn good holding her in his arms. He would never admit it aloud, but a part of him was afraid that someday soon this warm, willing Buffy would disappear and be replaced with a Buffy who no longer wanted him. Silently he slid her dress straps back up into place then bent his head to press a chaste kiss to the pulse point on her neck. Buffy let her hands slide down his chest and wrap around his waist under the duster he wore.

"Take me home?" she whispered truly more a statement than a question.

Nothing would have made Spike happier at that moment, but he forced himself to ask, "What about your friends?"

"They'll deal," she replied, not really caring, yet knowing her friends wouldn't mind.

Spike hesitated only for a moment, and then pulled away. Firmly taking Buffy's hand in his own he led her back to her friends. After a quick goodbye and promises to get together again soon, Spike pulled Buffy out into the night and towards their home. For once there were no thoughts of a stalker, or how their situation was only temporary. Instead all they both could think about was going home-together.