*Spike’s apartment, a couple of weeks later*
Spike woke up and tried to blink away the slight hangover plaguing him. He gave up soon enough and went to the kitchen to warm up his breakfast. Or lunch. It was closer to lunch.
Once he drank his blood he went to the bathroom to freshen up before facing the day ahead.
~~~***~~~
*Sunnydale High library, an hour later*
Spike creeped up behind Giles. When he got within ten feet the other man greeted him without looking up from his journal. “Stop trying to catch me off-guard, Spike.”
“Now, why would I do that? If I manage to surprise you it’ll prove you need more training. If I don’t, it’s because I’ve been keeping you on your toes. Win-win.”
Giles grunted and flipped a two finger salute. Spike couldn’t have been more proud of him.
“Anything to mention about last night’s patrol?”
“Nothing special. A couple of fledges and a random demon trying to cause mayhem. Not even a peep from our resident relic.” Spike jumped and sat on the library table.
Giles glared at Spike over the bridge of his glasses. “I’m sure the Master will make his presence known soon enough. We need only be prepared.” He made a note and closed the book. “How is Buffy’s progress?”
Spike preened. “She’s good. She’s almost as good as when I first met her, and that was about eight months from now.”
“That’s…”
“Good enough to take down the Master, if it comes to that.”
Giles took off his glasses. “She needs to end his tyranny.”
“If she doesn’t go down there he can’t come out. We’re taking his minions out left and right every night. He’ll be just another has-been in no time.”
“Will his followers ever stop? Will they cease taking lives, or turning more to bolster their ranks?”
Spike sighed. “No. I know, you’re right.” He took a deep breath. “It’s her choice when she wants to go after him. The best I can do is help her as much as I can.”
“As do we all.”
Spike jumped off the table. “I’m off then. Places to be, demons to kill…”
“Before you go, there’s a new substitute teacher starting today.”
Spike grinned. “Is that your way of asking for my help?”
Giles placed his glasses back on his face. “I would be in your debt if you were to utilize your vetting procedure.”
“How indebted?”
Giles winced. “A bottle of Jack.”
“Make it two and we’ll share. There’s a match on in a couple of nights and I didn’t get to watch it.”
“I guess I could force myself to agree.”
“The sacrifices one makes in the interest of keeping the innocents safe. So do we have a deal?”
“Yes, it’s done. Now could you please go sniff around Mrs. Armstrong?”
“Just because I could sniff out a body swapped teen and a praying mantis—”
“Oh, Watcher, how you wound me. Am I just an overgrown nose to you?”
“Yes. Unfortunately you’re a nose with fangs, so your usefulness is almost nil.”
“Whereas a small-town librarian in a high school where the students are more interested in staying alive than studying is the most productive of employment opportunities.”
They smirked at each other, each confident there was no malice behind the jibes. If anyone would have told Spike his closest human friend would turn out to be none other than Giles, he would have dusted from laughter no farther than a year before. The truth couldn’t be denied though.
“Will you wait to say ‘hi’ to the kids?”
Spike’s jaw muscle twitched. “Nah, mate. I’ll catch up with you all at Joyce’s.” He nodded once. “I’ll either try to make sure Mrs. Armstrong won’t try to snack on the student population. If there’s anything to report I’ll let you know.” He sauntered out of the library without another word.
*
He could see her at the other end of the hallway. She leaned against a wall and a Riley carbon copy hovered over her in an intimate way. She giggled at whatever it was the lug told her. Spike scowled and strode the other way. The newest drool-sac talking to Buffy was the fifth potential boyfriend she decided to give a shot to since moving to Sunnydale. She probably spent more time dating than she did studying, despite the adults’ best attempts. Then again that must have been true for most of the student population.
Spike wasn’t watching where he walked, so he plowed right into someone. He lucked out and it turned out he’d managed to get his nose up close and personal with the target of his search. An even better stroke of luck? Mrs. Armstrong was just a run of the mill human.
His mission accomplished, Spike hurried to get out of the school.
The chosen escape route happened to take him past the men’s bathroom on the ground floor and, as he passed by it, he caught Buffy’s name being spoken. His interest piqued, he listened in.
“I’m telling you, she’s gagging for it.”
“No way, man. Summers? I thought she was some sort of Ice Queen Bitch, or something.”
“Nope. I hear that’s why she got thrown out of her old school. She was sleeping with some old dude and tried to cover it up by torching the place.”
“And you really went all the way with her?”
“She was so easy. Screamer, too.”
Spike didn’t listen anymore. Before he’d realized he’d moved, he had the teen—some sort of football player judging by his letterman jacket and size—about a foot off the floor by the throat. “Didn’t your mother teach you not to spread false rumors?”
The jock’s eyes bulged out of his eye sockets and he was trying to pry Spike’s fingers from his neck.
“What the fuck?” One of the jock’s friends made to intervene, but a quick punch to his solar plexus left him gasping for breath on the floor.
“Well? What do you have to say for yourself?” Spike fought his demon for control, but he found he didn’t care that much if he won. He did loosen his hold on the kid’s throat and put him down so he could breathe. He only did that to hear what the piece of shit had to say for himself, not out of any show of mercy.
“If she didn’t want people talking, she shouldn’t have dated half the class.” Another of the brain trust had found his voice.
“She can date the whole bloody school if she wants to. You all know what this wanker said is bullshit, though. So take it the fuck back before I wipe the floors with your entrails.”
“Yeah, okay, whatever. She didn’t even give me a kiss goodnight. Please let me go.”
Spike studied their faces. A bunch of scared little boys trying to make themselves feel like men by putting others down. Bullies. He had a special spot in his hate for them. He let out just enough of the demon to make his eyes shine an unholy glow. “If I hear you talking anymore shit about Buffy, or anyone else, for that matter, or if, God forbid, I hear you were picking on any other kid, I’ll put the fear of the devil in you.” He let his voice drop down to a demonic growl. “Understood?”
The smell of urine got more potent as a couple of the guys lost control of their bladders. The other three were shaking in fear, but they all managed to nod in agreement.
He pushed the initial jock so hard he heard his head bounce off the bathroom wall. With a final sneer at the rest of them, he stalked out of the school.
~~~***~~~
*Alibi Room, a couple of hours later*
The cards weren’t cooperating. He couldn’t stop seething about what those snot-faced nobodies said about Buffy, so he couldn’t give the game of poker his usual attention. The result? He was down a full litter of kittens to afternoon players. He folded his cards with a disgusted growl. Time to cut his losses for the day. In the long run it would be a good thing, as it broke up a pretty impressive winning streak. Now the suspicions about his cheating would at least be put on the back burner.
Once he’d gotten back to the main hall he signaled Willie to get him a beer. It was too early yet for the stronger stuff.
He saw a familiar face enter, but it took him a few moments to connect the person to the name. The police woman took out a notepad and started questioning a couple of bar-goers, but he’d caught her sly glance his way.
Two things worked against the would-be assassin. Number one was that no self-respecting member of the Sunnyhell PD would be caught dead in Willie’s bar. They sure wouldn’t come in an official capacity to interrogate those who they were busy pretending didn’t exist. Number two was even simpler. He’d remembered her. Nest had hired the Order of Taraka and sent them after him. Spike had been wondering when the old bat would strike next. This qualified as another example of ‘be careful what you wish for.’
At least he’d get to work out all his pent-up rage.
“Could you answer a few routine questions for me?”
Spike’s fought back a full-blown grin. “I’m a very private person. Any chance we could go somewhere more out of the way for this?”
He could see on her face how much she liked the idea. She probably planned on killing him as soon as they stepped out of sight.
Unbeknownst to her, she’d been promoted to head of the list of humans Spike didn’t care if he killed. Quite a feat, considering she was up against people such as Warren, Caleb, Maggie Walsh, Mayor Wilkins, and Ben. The others could wait, though. Patrice was the clear and present danger.
As soon as he stepped out in the alley behind the Alibi Room, Patrice made her move. Spike ducked the first swipe of a knife, and caught her other arm when she tried to redirect. He didn’t manage to break it since she started bouncing off the walls and contorting her body in ways that would have made a Carnie jealous.
Spike gave a whoop and went full in. Despite being human, Patrice was so good she managed to hold her own against Spike. In fact, some of her moves would have put Buffy to shame. The thought brought a sneer to Spike’s lips. He was still upset about earlier, so he used his anger to increase his damage.
He demolished her defenses systematically. By the end, Patrice lay bleeding from about twenty places, and at least two of her limbs were useless. Spike had had enough, so he grabbed her neck and twisted. He didn’t feed on her. It would have crossed a line he hoped he wouldn’t have to cross anytime soon.
Also, Sunnydale was full of various creatures more than happy to take care of human bodies full of blood. He turned and strode out of the alley without another thought to his fallen foe. There were bound to be more assassins out there.
~~~***~~~
*Summers house, later that evening*
All the Scoobies were assembled in the living room. Joyce and Jenny were bringing waters and hot beverages for everyone. The two women had bonded since the meetings had started taking place in the former’s home, and the latter had joined the Scoobies full-time due to Spike’s influence. Well, that and her increasingly close relationship with Giles.
“The Master hired the Order of Taraka to take me out.” Spike threw the ring he’d taken off Patrice’s body on the table in front of Giles.
“Good God. They’re famous as ruthless assassins. They never stop until their target is dead.”
“They also stop if the patron is dead, or calls it off. I don’t really think the last one is going to happen.”
Giles spoke as he skimmed the pages describing the Order’s members. “Any idea why you’re his target now?”
“I did dust the Anointed One while the rest of you were playing ‘Ignore the Future Guy.’ At least Nest knows I’m a threat.” Spike tried to keep the annoyance out of his voice, but it proved hard. He thought he’d made headway with the Scoobies, only to have them ignore him. Just as they had so many times in the other world.
Giles looked him straight in the eyes. “I’m sorry for doubting you. I thought my calculations were correct, and when you told me there were some slight differences from your world, combined with your spotty knowledge about what went on around Sunnydale …”
“Let’s not forget you didn’t remember the Harvest.” Jesse spoke without taking his eyes off the comic book he was reading.
“Jesse.” Dawn’s outrage rang loud and clear. Spike smiled, thinking not even her crush could override her instinct to protect him.
“He remembered enough and did enough to save you, so put a sock in it.” Xander’s brows were drawn together. “Still, even Yoda wasn’t right all the time.” He offered with a shrug toward Spike.
“Yeah, I get it. You hoped you didn’t have to rely on good ol’ Spike’s memories for survival.” He was still upset, but tried to shove the feeling down. It wouldn’t help anyone for him to hold old grudges.
“Let’s not forget any change you make means more changes down the line.” Willow sounded more confident than she did when she first met Buffy. She was still miles away from where Spike would have to start worrying about power-trips, though.
“Well, it’s done. I know some things will change and might not happen at all, it’s just… some things don’t change.” His words held more venom than he wanted, but he couldn’t help it. Being ignored about the Anointed reminded him of less happy times. The fact he’d started to count the Scoobies among his friends only made it hurt more.
Joyce put a hand on his shoulder. “You did your best. Thank you.”
He let her words and the hot chocolate warm, and soothe him.
~~~***~~~
*One of Sunnydale’s many cemeteries*
Buffy was practicing her high kicks under Spike’s supervision.
“If you try to combine that move with a crouch and a sweep of the legs you’ll have your opponent on the ground in no time.”
She did as he asked and they grinned at each other. Buffy moved closer to Spike, her face losing any sign of mirth. “I know you were right.”
Spike clenched his jaw and gave a curt nod.
She put her hand on his arm. “You’ve been right about everything. It’s just… When someone tells you you’re going to die, come back, and then do it all over again…” She shuddered. “I wanted Giles to be right. Actually, no. I wanted him to be wrong, but I wanted you to be wrong too. I just wanted a night off.” She gave a half-shrug. “I wanted to be a girl on a date with a boy. Most of all, I didn’t want to think of death. My death. Does that make sense?”
His heart ached for her. Of course she’d be shaken by what he’d been telling her. He’d been so busy being proud by how far she’d gotten so fast both in her training, and in her stance on demons, that he hadn’t seen her fears creeping up. This Buffy didn’t have a death wish. She did have an overwhelming thirst for life. Everyone feels invincible when they’re young, and despite the superpowers, she’d found out she was far from that.
“God, Buffy, I’m a berk. I’m sorry—”
She raised her hand from his arm to his shoulder. “You were wonderful. Like Mom said, you did your best. I owe you. A lot.”
“You don’t owe me anything.”
“I know what you did at school with those jerk-heads.” He flinched, but she gently squeezed his shoulder in support. “You have my back even when I’m a bitch to you. Thank you. Even if I was more than capable of taking care of those guys by myself.” She finally lowered her hand, but her smile more than made up for the loss of contact.
He ducked his head a bit. “I know. I don’t want to fight your battles. They just got me so mad I acted before I could think.”
“I know. It’s okay.”
She lingered in front of him for another second, then did a running kick to a fledge that had been crawling toward them. Spike stood there watching her with a small smile on his face. He didn’t care they hadn’t listened to him anymore. Buffy saw him. That was enough.
*
Patrol had been slow. Apart from the vampire there were only two more encounters, and they’d been ridiculously easy. Spike and Buffy were both bored.
The sound of fighting brought a smile on his face and he took off at a run. What he saw when he got closer didn’t make him happy at all.
Angel was fighting a tall enemy with long hair, a scar on the side of his face, and some very good moves. Another member of the Order of Taraka that Spike had hired once upon a time. “Bugger.”
Spike decided not to intervene and help Angel on account of too many cooks in the kitchen being a bad thing. That, and he didn’t feel like helping him just then.
Not that Buffy and Angel needed him. They tag-teamed the Taraka member whose name Spike couldn’t remember for a million bucks. A couple of hits later, and Buffy broke its neck.
She shook her hand and blew air on a scraped knuckle. “What the hell was that guy?”
Angel bent down and studied the dead man’s ring. “A member of the Order of Taraka.” His eyes widened. “We need to get Buffy somewhere safe.”
“Calm down over-reaction action. The Teriaki guys are after Spike, not me.”
Angel did a visible double-take. “Why?”
“Dusted the Anointed One. Nest took offense.” Spike shrugged as if he didn’t much care.
Angel didn’t move a muscle. He didn’t comment at all. It was so unlike him it make Spike nervous.
“So any idea if there are more of these guys out there?” Buffy popped her gum after she asked. Spike frowned trying to remember when she’d started chewing the gum in the first place. He was pretty sure she hadn’t had any when they were training.
“The Order of Taraka are renowned assassin. They—”
“We heard the history lesson from the watcher. The lady asked if there were any others out there that you know of.”
Angel scowled. “I didn’t see any.” He rose to his full height and Spike could imagine a cape flowing in the gentle breeze behind him. “I will help you get to safety There’s no reason to endanger Buffy while the Tarakas are after you.”
“What?” Spike and Buffy spoke at the same time.
Angel raised a hand and spoke only to Buffy. “Spike and me can hold off the Tarakas. You don’t need to be caught in the cross-fire. Some of them use guns, and last I checked slayers weren’t immune.”
Spike really wanted to tell Angel off, but unfortunately the big lug had a point.
“As if. These guys are after Spike and I’ll show them exactly why it’s a bad idea to mess with what’s mine.” Her voice was steady, her face harsh, and her body coiled to strike.
Spike was at a loss for words. Angel nodded and said something about helping, or keeping an eye out, or something else Spike couldn’t really focus on. All he could see was her: the Valkyrie. The Master would be sorry.
~~~***~~~
*Guardian’s lair*
“You didn’t tell me why you wanted to see the Oracles, and I haven’t asked so far. But let’s not forget, I’m a nosy old lady, so tell me.”
Spike laughed at Abigail’s self-description. Ever since their first contact he’d made it a point to pass by her place at least a couple of times a week and over time they’d become friends. Friends, apparently, who couldn’t be kept in the dark for too long.
“I wanted to know what the future brings.”
She scoffed and raised both her eyebrows. “Which one? The one you’re building, or the one you left behind?”
Spike cursed inside his mind. Of course she’d know exactly what to ask. She was even worse than Giles. He couldn’t wait for the watcher to do enough for his slayer to be allowed to meet Abbie. Spike could bet a year’s worth of smokes the two would get along like a house on fire.
She cleared her throat to signal he hadn’t answered her question yet.
He sighed. “Both, I guess.”
“I knew that much. What did you find out?”
“The… me that got left behind gets the girl.” He still didn’t know how he felt about it. There was a Spike that got his Buffy. The thought made him feel good inside.
It should have been him. The Powers had cheated him out of it.
He decided not to think about it anymore. It would drive him round the bend.
Abbie nodded once, as if she expected nothing less. Spike appreciated she didn’t comment in any way. Maybe she could read the conflict in his eyes.
“What about you?”
“Me? I’m… just as clueless. The Oracles wouldn’t even tell me why I’m here. They just said I should ‘fix’ things. So I decided ‘fuck it’ and I’ll do whatever I feel like.”
“You knew this before you talked to them.” Her eyes narrowed. “You must have known they wouldn’t help. If they wanted you to know your purpose, they would have told you straight off. So why go there?”
Spike threw his hands in the air. “All right, you infuriating woman. I went there to find out if they made a mistake.”
“What?”
“I wanted to make sure they got the right souled vampire, the right champion, the right anything.” He hung his head in defeat.
Abbie hugged him lightly. “You should never think you’re not worthy. You are a true champion. You fought against everything and everyone, including yourself, to save the girl, and the world. Others who were prophesized have done a lot less.”
He raised his gaze to meet with hers, letting her see the tears in his eyes. “What if I’m not good enough? What if—”
“You’re the one they chose because you would, and already did do, everything you could to be worthy.”
“But I screw everything up.” He snorted in self-derision. “I couldn’t even sacrifice myself right.”
“Was your sacrifice lessened by the fact that you came back?”
“Well…”
“Was Buffy’s sacrifice for Dawn lessened by Willow bringing her back?”
He gasped. “Of course not. But she’s Heaven’s chosen, I’m just—”
“The one vampire in all of history to ask for his soul back.”
Spike could see she believed in him. If only he had such belief in himself. “I’m not even sure who I am anymore.”
“Then find out. You’re an immortal vampire thrown into the past. You have all the time in the world to figure out what makes you you.”
He snorted and wiped his eyes. “Somehow I spent a century without worrying about it. Now I feel as if I’m running late.”
“You’ll never accomplish anything if you don’t put the first foot forward.”
Spike smiled at that. “Sounds like something my Mum would say.”
“Sounds like a smart woman. No wonder she had such a son.”
“Why, Abbie, are you flirting with me?”
She let go of him and burst out laughing. “Had we met when we were both young…”
“I would have written you some bad poetry and you would have run screaming.”
“Probably. Good thing I decided to live in a tomb instead.”
Spike pointed at his chest. “Crypt.”
She pretended to think it through. “You’re right. On paper we should be dynamite together.”
“I’m sure it would have been easier for me.”
“Oh, no. I can be a bitch too, sometimes.”
They both burst out laughing.