--


Buffy exited the dining room. She’d been slightly depressed since Dawn’s departure but her recent triumph of the arrest of Warren and his nerds for the murder of Katrina had cheered her up enough to celebrate her birthday. Having noticed that the majority of bad birthday parties she’s had to endure occurred at night, she stubbornly decided that this year she would have a party around lunch-time.

She encountered Richard in the hall and stopped for a minute, wondering what she was supposed to say. She knew Xander had brought him along as a subtle attempt to lure her from Spike’s side and was a little irritated at Xander’s audacity.

“Hey,” Richard said awkwardly.

“Hi.”

“Great party. Everyone's havin' fun.”

“I hope so,” she said with a smile.

“I mean, no one's even thinking about leaving. I, uh...can't tear myself away.”

“Yeah?” Buffy’s smile faltered as in her mind she begged him not to get attached to her.

“Yeah. Can I get you a drink?”

Buffy saw Spike appear in the living room doorway to observe the conversation.

“Uh...I'm good, thank you.”

“Okay.”

“I think I'll just...head back in,” Buffy said gracelessly.

“Well...I'll look for you,” he said.

“Okay,” she said with a smile. Had to give the guy some credit, he was cute. He smiled and went past her into the dining room.

“Ooh, Buffy,” Spike said in a mock-high voice and Buffy rolled her eyes. “Can I get you a soda pop? I think I'm in looove.”

He walked up to her, smirking. She was smiling too. When he leaned down for a kiss she turned away.

“Stop it. Someone's gonna see.” But her voice didn’t sound at all like the commanding tone she was aiming for. It sounded breathy, like a regret.

She walked toward the kitchen. Spike followed and stopped her at the doorway by putting one hand on the wall beside her head to block her way.

“Mm-hmm,” he murmured.

He rested his other hand on her shoulder before running it down her arm, taking her hand, and pulling it onto his thigh.

Buffy tried to resist the curl of arousal that was writhing inside her but it was near impossible. Her head fell back slightly and her eyes drifted closed and Spike took this opportunity to snag the kiss he had lost a few minutes ago. Buffy sighed into his mouth.

Tara appeared at the other end of the hall but seeing the couple, turned and walked away with a smile.

--

An hour or so later, Buffy and Spike sat on the floor besides the new weapons chest Xander had carved for her. She shuffled a deck of cards and tried to convince herself that she was behind the couch to find a quiet place for a game of cards and had nothing to do with the fact that Spike was trailing patterns absently on the side of her thigh.

Richard entered from the kitchen, looking for his boss.

“Hey Xander, we gotta be at work in a few minutes.”

Xander glanced at the clock. “Okay. We’ve got ten. We’ll make it.”

“I can't be late today.”

“You should definitely go,” Spike piped up. “Let's find your coat and get you on your merry way.”

“Spike,” Buffy said warningly

“Besides, Richie, I’m sure you’ve had your fill of lunch. Growing boy like you,” Spike went on, paying no attention to the glares Buffy was throwing at him. “Me, I used to love lunch. In the old days, I probably would have eaten by now.” He finished and looked menacingly at Richard for fun.

“Of course, with that new diet of yours, you wanna be careful what you try puttin' in your mouth now, Spikey,” Buffy said testily and gave Spike a meaningful look that he completely ignored.

“Yeah? I don't know. Tummy's making all kinds of gurglies. Maybe I oughta just feed on whatever's around...”

Buffy glanced at Richard who looked bemused if nothing else.

“…even if it doesn't go down well,” Spike said and then turned to Richard. “You, uh, work out?”

“Okey-dokey,” Buffy said suddenly and quickly got up, grabbed Spike by his sleeve, and hauled him to his feet and towards the door.

“‘Scuse us,” she said offhandedly to Richard as she hauled Spike into the foyer.

“Hey, Mister Passive-Aggressive Guy. Seriously, you wanna take it down a notch or two in there?” She snarled.

“What? Poor dainty Richard can't take a joke?” Spike snarked back.

“We do not joke about eating people in this house!”

“What are you gonna do, beat me up?”

“I should have thrown you out the second you got here.” She said as Spike rolled his eyes. “I was insane to ever think you could just hang out with my friends.”

“And I was insane to think...” He broke off, knowing he was about to say something he probably didn’t want to say. He covered it with an affront. “No, wait. You were right. You're insane.”

“I think it's time for you to go,” she retorted angrily.

He tried not to smile as he sensed Buffy’s body heating as she got more and more riled up.

“Yeah, well, can't,” he said with a gesture. “Daylight.”

“Okay. I'll go.”

“I'll get the door.”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

Before she knew what she was doing, Buffy wrapped her arm around his neck and brought his head to hers. His arms slid around her waist while her tongue entranced his.

She pulled back just as suddenly.

“We can’t keep kissing every time we start to argue!” She hissed although Spike wasn’t sure whether it was to him or herself. She took a deep breath, turned, and walked out of the room.