--


Dawn had been allowed to visit for a few days for the wedding. Buffy had hoped that she and her sister could have some bonding time during this stay but Dawn had made it perfectly clear to Buffy that she had lost her chance for intimacy when Dawn was taken away.

Buffy sighed as she watched her little sister help receive wedding gifts. Deciding to avoid Dawn’s you-betrayed-me attitude for the day in favour of good emotions, Buffy turned away.

“It’s like rain on your wedding day...” Buffy muttered to herself, thinking of Alanis Morissette’s lyrics as she meandered down the hall in her vibrant bridesmaid dress. Outside, it was pouring rain.

Turning a corner, she paused for a brief second as she noticed Spike, leaning against a wall, looking out the window into the grey weather.

He looked up and seeing Buffy, glanced down at the floor. He looked back up as she walked over and leant against the wall next to him.

“Are you gonna cry?”

Buffy frowned at him. “What?”

“Weddings...Two hearts joined for eternity, great pelting showers of rice and so forth. Just want to know if the Slayer’s gonna get all weepy on me.”

She gave a small smile and they both resumed staring out at the rain.

“It's nice,” Spike said quietly. “...to watch you be happy. For them, even. I don't see it a lot. You, uh...you glow.”

She glanced over at him but he wasn’t looking her way.

“That's because the dress is radioactive,” she compromised.

She smiled when Spike snorted.

Shifting his weight back onto his feet, he stood fully and turned to face her. Deciding to risk it, he held out his arm.

She looked at him, surprised for a minute. Then slowly slipped her arm into his. This was new territory for them, and Spike looked as nervous as she did.

But with every step towards the main hall, each of them felt happier, elated; linking arms was a success. Buffy wondered if maybe the little, public, girlfriend/boyfriend attributes needed to be learned and practiced. Seeing as they already had all the heavy interactions down; they had to work on first/second date level reciprocities.

Spike said he didn’t see her happy often. She speculated whether he could help her change that.

--

“Take care of my heart, won't you please? Take care of it because...it's all that I have. And, if you let me, I'll take care of your heart too,” Anya said, finishing her eccentric vows.

A few feet to her left, Willow and Tara were leaning near one another, both getting teary-eyed.

The chapel was in absolute chaos. The Harrises and Anya’s demon kin were in an all-out brawl that had broken out as soon as Anya had completed her march up the aisle. But by that time, the bride, groom, and bridesmaids were enclosed in a different world and knew nothing of their audience.

The Priest repeated the necessities and Xander leaned in to kiss his bride. A couple of feet to his left, Dawn was absolutely beaming, with a huge grin plastered across her face.

Anya threw her arms around Xander, ecstatic. She kissed him several more times and Xander broke off smiling happily. Only when he turned to face the congregation—Anya’s hand clasped firmly in his own—did he realize that the place was in an uproar.

He tugged Anya closer to his side and slid an arm around her waist and they looked around the room, absolutely luminous amidst the pandemonium.

A pair at the very back of the chapel, out of the way of the tumult, caught Xander’s eye.

Buffy was sobbing and laughing delightedly at the same time. Spike gave her a dubious look before awkwardly pulling a tissue out of his pocket and handing it to her. When she noticed Xander looking at them, she flashed him a genuinely huge smile and waved.

Xander noted that Buffy had allowed Spike to rest his arm around her shoulders but at the beaming smile on her face, Xander’s own grin widened and he waved back. If Buffy and Spike were even half as happy as he was today, then the more luck to them, he thought.