--


Buffy looked after Amy, pensive.

“So, what were you gonna tell me? You were sounding all serious,” Willow said with a sincerity that made Buffy wince inwardly.

“Huh? Oh. Uh, it's nothing. I mean, the whole Amy, rat, Amy thing...no way I'm toppin' that.”

Willow gave her a small smile as Buffy distractedly left the bedroom. Not knowing quite what to do with herself, she wandered downstairs towards the sound of the television.
She encountered Amy, who was feasting on a huge plate of cookies.

“Hey,” Buffy said. Amy looked up, popped the last piece of a cookie into her mouth, and muted the TV. “How you doin'? Need anything?”

“No, thanks. Good cookies.” Amy smiled.

Buffy smiled back and a beat passed before Amy said softly:

“Sorry about your mom.”

“Thanks.”

“It's crazy, all the things that've happened since I went away.”
“No kidding.”

“Snyder got eaten by a snake...high school got destroyed...”

“Oh, Gatorade has a new flavor. Blue.”

“See? Head spinning. She shook her head with good humour. “Willow's dating girls...and did you hear about Tom and Nicole?!”

Buffy smiled and nodded.

“So...what’s new with you?” Amy looked at her and broke another cookie into pieces.
Buffy shrugged and thought why the hell not?

“I’ve been illicitly kissing a vampire behind my friends’ backs because it’s the only thing that’s made me feel something since I got back from the afterlife--which is actually a rather nice place--and my little sister doesn’t do anything to help out, and my father figure has left the country because he thinks it’ll make me stronger.”

Buffy gasped in some air and sat down next to Amy, whose eyes were wide with interest.
“That’s...a loaded answer.”

“I know...sorry, I didn’t mean to...”

“Illicitly kissing a vampire? Sounds like some sort of romance novel. I missed romance novels.”

“It’s not...really not like a romance novel.”

“It’s not?” Amy asked curiously.

“It’s more, he loves me and I don’t want to love him but I keep kissing him even though I know I shouldn’t.”

“And...that’s not romance novelly?” Amy asked sarcastically.

Buffy shrugged again.

“Why don’t you ‘want to love him’?”

Buffy sat back and thought for a minute. Amy quietly ate another cookie.

“I... He's everything I hate. He's everything that...I'm supposed to be against. But the only time that I ever feel anything is when I’m with him...Don't tell anyone, please.”

“I won't tell anyone. Is...he is a good vampire right?”

“Yeah. He’s...a good guy, technically.”

“Is he hot?”

Buffy couldn’t stop the grin from spreading over her face.

“Definite yes.”

“Do you love him?”

Buffy’s grin faded and she was quiet for an extended silence, her gaze blank in the direction of the TV.

“I don’t know. I like him sometimes.”

Buffy looked quickly at Amy as if expecting a stern judgement. Amy gave her a small, reassuring smile.

“Well...go from there. Take from a girl who hasn’t had any relationships--save a pet/human one--in the past three years, you find someone you like, go for it. It’s kinda special when two people click, y’know?”

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed softly.

Amy gave herself a mental pat on the back. Rat for three years and I still got my entry pass to the good-relationship advice area.

“Wait a minute, can you turn the TV back on?”

Amy picked up the remote and the TV sound filled the room again.

“...in critical yet stable condition as local authorities continue their investigation into the robbery that left one man frozen solid,” a TV reporter was saying in front of the exterior of the museum and an ambulance with a bunch of people moving around. “Live from the museum, Ryan Morris, KOUS.”

“Weird,” Amy said.

Buffy stood up.

“Yeah, I better go do the Slayer thing.”

The ex-rat nodded and picked up another chocolate-chip cookie.

“Amy...”

She looked up.

“Thanks.”