A/N another double bill and another quick turn around by my fabulas proof reader April who not only fixes my grammer but encourages me along the way. Big thanks go to her.

Dirtribution: I was asked this week if I was happy for other to archive my story. Happy, I'm over the bloody moon mate. Anyone who wants to can channel their inner Faith on any of my stories. Want. Take. Have. But if you let me know I can get on with being hugely flattered.

.........................

It was one thing to be told that Spike had been resurrected, but quite another to see the vampire with his own eyes. He watches him as he shifts in his seat, carefully cushioning his young lover’s head against his shoulder, and tries to decide whether or not he is glad that the rumours of the vampire's demise seem to have been exaggerated.

It had not been difficult to convince the pair to return with him to California. Spike had resisted at first. "Ah-ah, no bloody way," the vampire had insisted adamantly. He'd been agitated, almost seeming afraid.

"Spike." It had been the girl, Carlotta, who had first tried to persuade him, her hand placed gently on her lover’s arm. "It is time."

He'd turned, pleading then, gripping her shoulders and begging her. "Please, pet, we don’t wanna go digging up the past. We're all right here, you and me; we don’t need this."

"I think we do, amando." She had given him a sweet smile and touched his face. "Besides, do you not wish to see the nibblet again?" The familiar nickname had sounded strange in Carlotta's heavy accent, but Spike's face had softened with affection and longing and he had smiled sadly.

"God, yes," he'd breathed, closing his eyes for a moment before shaking his head and looking down. "But I can't, pet. It's too much; please don’t ask me to. Please, let’s just stay here."

She had seemed a little disappointed but had pulled him close as she acquiesced. "As you wish, my love."

He'd pulled back with a relieved sigh and a boyish smile. "Thank you."

The scene had been touching and he had felt guilty regret to be the bearer of such awful news. "I'm afraid you may wish to reconsider that decision. I have some very disturbing news that will affect you both."

He is bought back to the present by a quiet question from the vampire. "She's stunning, ain't she?" His voice is soft and he doesn’t take his eyes off the girl in his arms, but Giles senses that the question is not rhetorical, that Spike is seeking some kind of reassurance.

"Yes, she is quite beautiful and appears very strong." Now that the vampire looks at him, he finds himself surprised by the fear in his blue eyes and feels compelled to offer some comfort. "We will get to the bottom of this, Spike. Nothing will happen to her."

"Bloody right." His voice is full of the desperate determination that is born of the fact that failure is inconceivable. "I won't let anything happen to her." He strokes her cheek and Giles is again struck by the tenderness of the gesture, just as he had been back at the hotel.

He'd touched her that way as Giles spoke, trying to get the pair’s attention. "It is imperative that Carlotta return with me," he'd told them. "There have been unforeseen complications with the, er, with the slayers created during Willow's spell."

That had done it. Spike's head had shot up, eyes fixing on the watcher. "What complications?" he'd asked, his voice hard.

"It seems that power granted to the potentials during that spell is affecting the girls. Some er, you might say side effects." Spike's frown and Carlotta's worried look had been enough to force him to give in to the impulse to remove his glasses. He'd run his handkerchief over the lenses, stalling for time, putting off the inevitable moment when they would have to know.

"What side effects?" The question had been asked in a low voice, but the demand and the soft growl that laced it were unmistakable.

He'd looked up and spoken to the vampire, unable to bring himself to meet the girl’s warm brown eyes. "It's killing them."

"So." Spike laces his fingers through sleeping slayer's hair, keeping his eyes down as he asks, "Buffy know about all this?"

"Yes, yes of course. She and Faith have both been informed and should be making their way to our training facility in southern California. She'll be there by the time we arrive." The in-flight alcohol that burns his throat is more than welcome. It has been, after all, a very long day.

"Think she'll be pissed off with me?" Spike's question is so ridiculous that a bark of dry laughter escapes him and he indulges himself in a caustic retort.

"That you failed to tell her you were alive? That you allowed her to continue to grieve for you when news of your revival could have stopped her pain?" He raises an eyebrow and is rewarded with a sheepish look from the vampire. "That you lied to her and coerced her boyfriend into lying to her? Knowing Buffy, I think it is fair to assume she will be a little put out, yes."

He nods, accepting the watcher’s answer, then flashes him a wry grin. "Best keep Lotta away when Buffy kicks my ass or things could turn ugly."

"She is protective of you?" He glances again at the sleeping girl, glad that Spike's new consort seems so far unaffected by the malaise that has incapacitated so many of the new slayers.

Spike’s chuckle is wry and affectionate. "Could say that. Couple of months back, a gang of humans jumped me while I was a little bit the worse for wear - you know what Cachaca can be like – anyway, these gits were having a rare old time of it kicking yours truly unconscious until my angel turned up and broke every one of their legs." He laughs at the memory. "Didn’t matter to her that they were human: something threatens me, she breaks it." He touches her face again, and Giles is reminded of the tender protectiveness he showed Dawn while Buffy was in the ground. When he looks back up, there are tears in his eyes. "Goes both ways. Nothing touches my girl."


.............................................

A/N the usual round of thank yous

Hey Enchantress, glad you like

O-k Shippy, Im going to try and take that as a compliment, if I squint and tip my head left it almost looks like one ;-)
I know what you mean about not reading S/other stories I dont usually but you can understand peoples motivation for writing them, we havent ever seen Spike treated well by a woman, so we write in characters to treat him the way we'd all just love to treat him. :)

Ok Millsy you're allowed to hate Angel, but Carlotta's a nice girl and she treats Spike right, give her a break ;-) Hints a Spuffy for you inext and more to come

Lizzy - Were you going to spank my muse, you kinky minx you. Im glad you get it, have you been in my head again?