A/N April is so much more than a proof reader... If any one spots a clever pun in this chapter, credit her :)

.................................

"Just give me a minute, Angel. I'll be right down." She struggles to keep her voice even; she can't talk to anyone right now, least of all him. The cold water she splashes on her tear-streaked face does little to remedy the redness of her eyes, and she frowns accusingly at her pale, blotchy reflection. Typical that she's doing a fair impression of a bloated, washed-up corpse just when Spike turns up with Miss South America 2005.

Another soft knock on the door and her temper snaps. It's unusual and it surprises her. She and Angel so rarely argue, so rarely even snap at one another. "For God's sake, Angel, I said I'd be down in a minute," she barks, voice frustrated and angry. Why won't he let it go? It's not like him to push.

"No problem, pet. You take your time." She jumps in surprise and is wrenching open the door before she even has time think about her actions.

He stumbles, grasping the doorframe to keep from falling on her, and she can't help but smirk at his inelegant floundering. What kind of moron leans against a door he just knocked on? His grin is a little embarrassed as he finds his balance. "'Lo, pet. Can we talk?"

She considers his request for a moment. She'd hoped to put off the inevitable conversation for a little longer, but she knows she'll have to face him soon, so she steps back and waves him inside. He flashes the small lopsided smile that she pictured so many times in her mind’s eye as she anticipated their reunion. And it is so very vulnerable, so hopeful and so very much his own that she is compelled to return it.

They study each other for a long moment. He looks the same; it's comforting. To know that despite the lies and the separation, despite the pages of painful history they have written between them, he remains the one constant in the unpredictable course of her life. He breaks the silence with and awkward apology. "I guess 'sorry' isn't gonna cut it then?" he asks sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck, glancing up at her through his lashes.

"Not really," she agrees, crossing her arms and fixing him with a accusing look that demands explanations she has no intention of accepting.

"You wanna kick my ass?" He is only half joking, but he makes the suggestion with a boyish hopefulness that makes her smile despite herself.

"If I did, you'd deserve it. You know that, right?" Her unladylike snort makes him grin, but it is gone in a moment and his eyes are soft and sincere again.

"I know," he begins tentatively. "But you get it, right? You get why I did it?" He is so vulnerable at this moment, so apprehensive, that all she can do is nod, because his eyes tell her what Angel's confused explanation could not. That his betrayal was an act of love. He begs forgiveness and understanding with his eyes and she finds she is incapable of withholding either from him now.

"I get it," she assures him, and the relief on his face is worth the slight dishonesty. "I don't like it, but I get it." And perhaps she is starting to.

He breathes a sigh of relief and seems to decide an attempt to lighten the mood is in order. "So, trouble in paradise?" he asks with a devilish smirk. "You and the big poof scrapping like cats and dogs?"

She rolls her eyes and smiles - happy to be slipping into the easy familiarity of their banter - and gives the expected response. "Hardly," she tells him with a haughty toss of her head. "Paradise is trouble free and perfect, as always."

He softens again and she feels herself thrown by his pendulous moods. "I'm glad," he tells her, and his eyes sparkle with gentle affection. "I always was, in theory like, but I gotta admit it's a surprise to see it works in practice." He gives her another wicked grin. "You've still got the worst taste in men, slayer, but I'm happy that you’re happy."

She feels her smile begin to fade and fights to hold it in place, keeping her tone light and friendly as she replies. "And you?" she eyes him speculatively. "You happy? Your slayer's a very pretty girl."

"Yeah." His expression is distant and affectionate as he thinks of the other woman.

Jealousy rises, sour and unwelcome, its cold fingers twisting in her gut and she feels her smile turn brittle and hopes her eyes do not betray the bitter turn of her thoughts.

"Carlotta's an angel. Don't know where I'd be without her."

"Well, then, I'm happy." Her face is beginning to hurt from the effort of smiling, but she tilts her head and holds fast to the façade. "That you’re happy."

His laughter is bright and genuine and the sound washes over her like a warm relaxing wave. "Well, isn’t this nice?" he drawls sarcastically, humour dancing in his eyes.

She laughs, too, at the ridiculousness that they should be having this conversation. "Yeah, go us with the mature well-wishing."

He grins back, and for a moment there is no tension between them. It is as if years have not passed, as if all those hurts had not been conceived and borne.

"You ready to come down, then?” he asks with a tilt of his head. “Watcher’s about to give us the skinny on this slayer disease." Worry clouds his expression and she feels for him.

"Right. Go on. I'll be right there."



...................................

A/N Wow loads of reviews for the last chapter, I'm glad it wen't down well, I know all this S/Other stuff is trying for all of you. Hold tight it wont last for ever.

Pin - Buffy has two methods of dealing Punch and Ignore, we'll see how she goes

Thanks CordyKitten not too much of a surprise that Buffy ran away it is kinda her MO

tayhaangel - I just thought kennnedy had to grow up or Willow wouldn't still be with her, plus I don't know if I'd be able to write her so I changed her :)

Thanks Vamps, Spike with another woman, who wouldn't sob :)


TheBear would pat all the lovely reviewers on the head but she has big clumsy paws and doesn't know her own strength