Joyce made good on her promise to her daughter. The next afternoon Joyce found herself in her husband’s library. She knew it was going to be difficult but didn’t think Hank would totally reject what she was saying.

“There is absolutely no way I’m going to let that…that servant be with my daughter!” Hank roared as he went to his liquor cabinet.

It wasn’t a good sign when Hank would turn to liquor for comfort.

Joyce walked to him and put her hand on his shoulder as he poured himself a healthy shot of scotch.

“We promised her she could marry for love. William is a wonderful boy and he loves her and she loves him. It doesn’t matter that he isn’t a man of title or his family is wealthy beyond all means….”

“Yes it does! Damn it, Buffy is the daughter of the Earl of Summerhaven she doesn’t get to marry someone who is beneath her,” he yelled as he threw back his head and downed his shot.

“I think you are being very arrogant in your thinking. William is an excellent choice for Buffy. Get off your pompous ass and get over the fact he doesn’t have a title,” Joyce chided as she placed her hands on her hips.

“And you are right. You are the Earl of Summerhaven, you can give him a title and his own lands.”

Hank almost choked on his scotch.

“Give him his own lands? Are you out of your mind?”

“What is wrong with you? Are you that much of a snob? Your daughter loves him. I thought that would be enough. But instead all you care about is your precious reputation. Did it ever occur to you that everyone follows what you say? That you lead by example,” Joyce yelled, her anger radiating off her body.

She looked him straight in the eye disgusted that she had married such a jerk. She shot him a dirty look and turned her heel, her yellow skirt swishing around her.

She stopped when she reached the door and turned to him.

“I remember when you asked my father if you could marry me. You were hardly a man of wealth. You had a title yes but your family was poor. I can’t believe I would ever see the day you would pass judgment on someone else who is almost in the same predicament.”

With that she opened the door and stepped out into the hall.

Please God; help Hank realize the wrongness of his way of thinking before he does something he will regret, She thought as she raised her eyes heavenward.

*~*

“I love this,” William said, Buffy tucked firmly in his grasp. They were leaning against their tree watching the sun play with the water in the creek. He ran his hands through her long blond hair and kissed her forehead.

“Me too,” She sighed snuggling closer to him. She closed her eyes and breathed deep, marking his scent on her person.

They had been in their own intimate world for a little over a month. They continually stole time together, sneaking off into their wooded area to be alone.

Buffy sighed again, delicious tingles running up and down her spine. William had made love to her several times since he had taken her virtue. He had taken her by the lake while the sun shone and the birds sang, in the stables amongst the hay and neighing horses, in the rose garden surrounded by the scent of blooming flowers.

“I want to marry you,” William said, his voice breaking through her reverie. Buffy pulled back and looked into his clear blue eyes.

“You want to marry me?”