Chapter 1

A/N This is my first attempt at writing fanfiction so please be gentle. Also a very special thank you to my awesome Beta, Allison, who is super fast.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffy Summers sat in the hotel bar surveying her surroundings. She had been waiting for her friend for over twenty minutes when she felt someone sit down beside her. Spinning on her stool, a smile lit up her face. When she met the eyes of the person sitting next to her, a shocked and confused look over took her features.

"I think I liked the first look better, luv."

'This is what going into shock must feel like,' Buffy thought. She stared into the brilliant blue eyes of the man who was currently the biggest action star of the decade.

Spike Hawthorne sat staring at the blonde in amusement. He had seen her sitting alone when he arrived at the bar ten minutes before, and it had taken that long for him to get up the nerve and walk over to talk to her. He was a movie star, for crying out loud- he had women flocking to him by the hour. Even more so now that his paycheck had been raised to ten million dollars a movie. The only problem with his so-called loyal fans was that the women who wanted him, more often than not, wanted the characters he played. Either that, or the money. He had yet to meet a woman that just wanted to get to know him. When he spotted the blonde, he had been floored. He barely even caught a glimpse of her face, and he couldn't keep his eyes off her. She was wearing an elegant black dress that fell almost to her knees. The long sleeves angled out a little to partially cover her hands, and with the amount of skin that wasn't shown, it was more than made up for with the neckline. The slightly off-the-shoulder deep V-shape in both the front and the back had his heart racing. The brilliant smile that he was briefly flashed made him want to keep that look on her face permanently.

"You know, pet, it's impolite to stare," he said with a smirk.

She seemed to snap out of it then, shaking her head slowly as if she was trying to shake the images out of it.

"You're not my friend."

Spike smiled and glanced down almost sheepishly. "Well, not yet, but I was kinda hoping we'd see where the evening takes us."

"No, I-I'm sorry. What I mean is, I'm meeting someone, and you're not them.but I guess you already figured that out, what with knowing who you are and all." Buffy closed her eyes, mortified by her babbling.

Spike smiled, absolutely amazed with this woman.

"You wanna get out of here, pet?"

That got her attention. Her eyes snapped up to his face, and she felt her body relax for the first time since he sat down. Over his shoulder, she noticed her friend sitting down at a table and giving her a look, obviously wanting all the details of what was happening. Buffy then met Spike's eyes again before responding in a very calm voice. "The name's not 'pet', it's Buffy." She began gathering her purse and standing. She saw the way Spike's eyes lit up when she stood, obviously thinking she was accepting his offer.

Leaning over him, Spike thought he would pass out at the extraordinary look at her cleavage, and then he felt her breath on his ear.

"And I'm not a groupie," she whispered before turning and walking away. Spike watched her backside sway gently and was in shock. No woman had shot him down, and that just made him want her that much more. He noticed her sit down at a table with a pretty red head and glance up at him. Spike shook off his feelings and raised his glass at her in a salute. He smiled at the pretty flush that tinted her skin and took a sip of his drink.

"Man, that was just sad."

Swiveling on his stool, he saw the owner of the voice.

"Give me time, Xand," he said, turning his attention back to Buffy. "This one is definitely worth the effort."

* * * * *

"Okay, missy, I want all the details. Why were you having a conversation with Spike Hawthorne, and more importantly, why are you not still over there?"

Buffy smiled at Willow's train of thought but didn't respond immediately since she was lost in her own. Willow studied her friend for a minute, looking at Buffy's slightly tilted head as she stared at her fingertips tracing patterns on the tablecloth.

"Come on, Buffy, at least tell me what you were talking about."

Buffy sighed. "It was nothing, Wills. He was just flirting a little, and he asked if I wanted to leave, and I told him I wasn't some groupie and then came over here to meet you." Buffy finally raised her eyes to meet her friend's. Willow smiled halfheartedly at her friend.

"Buffy, I know you don't wanna hear this, but."

"You're right, I don't, so let's just drop it, okay?"

"Buffy, you need to get back out there and start dating."

"No, Willow, I'm not getting into this conversation tonight. I just want to relax and have fun with my best friend, okay?"

"Okay, sweetie."

* * * * *

"So, Spike, what do you wanna do tonight?"

Xander noticed his friend's gaze still fixed on the blonde and couldn't help but smile. He had been friends with Spike since high school and couldn't remember ever seeing him so fixated on a girl. Well, except maybe Drusilla, but that relationship was just a train wreck waiting to happen.

"Actually, Xand, I was thinking of following those two lovely ladies wherever they're heading out to."

"Okay.Spike, I'm your friend, which is why I'm saying this with complete respect, but that's called stalking!"

"Look, mate, I know what it sounds like, but I just want to get her last name, okay?"

"Well, why didn't you just say so?" Xander said while hopping off of his stool, starting to head in the direction of the women. Behind him, he heard the frantic tones of his friend's whispers, trying to get him to come back.

"Excuse me, ladies, but I was just wondering if I could have a moment of your time. You see, my friend over there at the bar seems to have quite a hang-up on you," he said, gesturing to Buffy. "And I would really like to be able to go out and do something tonight, and I don't think he's going to be coherent enough to leave this bar until he gets your last name."

Buffy looked up at him with a stunned look. She was about to tell him exactly what he could tell his friend when Willow cut her off.

"It's Summers. Buffy Anne Summers."

"Willow!"

"What? It's not like he's some serial killer. We've seen all his movies, and I don't think he would be nearly as popular if he went around killing all his fans."

Buffy's head immediately fell into her hands, mortified.

Xander smiled and extended his hand to the redhead.

"Thank you, Miss.?"

"Rosenberg, but call me Willow," she said, taking his hand.

"Thank you, Willow."

And with a nod of his head to Buffy, he turned to start walking back to the bar and had to suppress his laughter when he saw Spike trying to subtly bang his head against the mahogany surface.

"Hey, man, the last name's Summers, and if you're real nice to me the rest of the night, I'll even give you her middle name."

Spike stopped the banging to stare up at Xander incredulously.

"She just gave you her full name?"

"Well, no, but the cute little red-head did, so you've still got it either way."

This time Xander did laugh as his friend dropped his head back to the bar surface.