Chapter 2

"Just a second, Wills," Buffy yelled from her hotel room the next night as she finished putting her earrings in. She stepped away from the mirror and critiqued her reflection. She was wearing a black skirt that fell to her knees that had two slits on each side of her thighs and a white halter that draped low in the front and had a spaghetti strap acting as the halter. Satisfied with what she saw, she slipped on her high-heeled, black sandals and ran for the door just as the knocking resumed.

"Sorry, I took so long."

"That's alright, luv. You're most definitely worth the wait."

"Wh-what're you doing here?" she asked with disbelief evident in her voice.

Spike smiled and glanced at the floor before meeting her eyes again.

"I think we got off on the wrong foot last night, luv."

"I didn't know we got off at all, Mr. Hawthorne."

Buffy's hands flew up to cover her face as she realized what she just said. Spike smiled and took one of her hands to pry it away.

"I really just said that, didn't I?" she asked, mortified.

"Don't worry about it, pet. And the name's Spike. Mr. Hawthorne's a little too stuffy for me."

She smiled and relaxed a little bit. Looking down, she realized their hands were still joined and leaving her with a tingly feeling shooting through her body. She swallowed hard before pulling her hand out of his and looking up into his eyes. After he and his friend left the bar last night, Buffy fully expected to never see him again, and now he was standing here, practically in her hotel room.

"Look, Spike, I don't know what you want from me, but I'm leaving town tomorrow, and I can honestly say I don't have a lot to offer a big movie star."

Spike maintained eye contact and reached up to tuck a piece of long golden hair behind one ear.

"Don't sell yourself short, luv," he said in a low seductive voice.

Buffy tore her eyes away from his and looked down, chewing on her lower lip.

"Miss Summers, I just want to get to know you a little better."

Buffy graced him with a slight smile before nodding.

"Okay, I can accept that, but the name's Buffy. Miss Summers is my mom."

Spike opened his mouth to say something when he heard a gasp behind him. Turning, he noticed the cute redhead from the bar and turned all the way around to offer his hand.

"Miss. Rosenberg, is it?"

Willow offered a little squeak in response and took his hand.

"My friend, Xander, told me your name."

That seemed to snap Willow out of her shock. She smiled at Spike before veering off around him and grabbing Buffy's arm.

"Excuse us for one minute," she said, shutting the door in Spike's face. He had to smile at that and looked down at the floor, shaking his head.

Once safely closed on the other side of the door, Willow spun around to Buffy.

"What happened to not wanting to talk about it and just relaxing while you're here?"

Buffy glanced at the door before replying, "I don't know, Wills, it was just like all resolve flew out the window when I saw him standing there. I mean, he actually went to the trouble of finding me and coming back to talk."

Willow smiled at her friend. "Buffy, I'm all for it if you want to pursue this, but you do realize it would be a fling, right?"

Buffy looked back at the door and nodded. "Maybe that's what I need right now. Not a relationship, just something special, but meaningless."

"Honey, you know I'll support whatever you decide, but it's been six months, and maybe you should be looking for a relationship."

"Wills, you know what I think about that. There's just too many factors to consider before I let myself get involved with anyone else. It's not worth it to get somebody else hurt."

"Buffy."

"No, Willow. It's not worth it."

"Okay.and for the record, it was sweet that he went to the trouble of finding you, but you are staying in the same hotel he saw you in last night," Willow said with a smile.

Buffy smiled and shoved her shoulder lightly. "It's the thought that counts."

"Yeah, I know. So are you going to go out there and ask him to go with us, or should I?"

* * * * *

After picking up Xander in the lobby, the four were now sitting around a table at one of the local clubs.

"So, where are you ladies from?" Xander asked.

"Well, Willow's from here, and I'm from a little town about two hours away from L.A. I've just been here this week visiting my mom and Wills."

"And what town would that be, pet?"

Buffy smiled at him and shook her head. "A town which you don't need to know."

"Ooooh," Xander said. "Shot down!"

Spike glared at him over the table before turning his attention back to Buffy. "Would you like to dance?"

Buffy smiled and took his offered hand, letting him help her off of her stool. She noticed the jealous looks of the other women in the club as Spike pulled her body flush up against his. Her arms wound around his neck as his tightened around her waist. She stared up into his eyes as the song started.

I was counting down the minutes
I was wishin' on the stars
I was praying for a sign
And trying to beat the odds
I was dreaming of you
Love before I saw your face
And there you were
Waiting for that day
Then you reached through the hurricane
When you, baby, you called my name

Buffy's head fell to Spike's chest as tears filled her eyes. She wanted this. She wanted happiness and love and passion. She wanted safety from the story of her life and she couldn't have it.

You broke through the storm
And you turned back the night
Baby, you are the fire
Burnin' the midnight sky
And your love
Keeps taking me higher
Just when all hope was gone
Where the hero belongs.
There you were

Spike's hands separated, pulling Buffy even closer to him, one caressing her lower back while the other slid higher until it was met with the bare skin of her back.

Must have broken into heaven
Just to roll back the clouds
Were you on a mission
Were you seekin' me out
Was I that one in a million
Was I that one sacred kiss
That you couldn't chance
That you just couldn't miss
Then you whisper through the silent tears
When you swept away all my fears

Buffy raised her head to look into the brilliant blue of Spike's eyes. His expression turned worried when he saw the tears shimmering in her hazel ones. He brought one hand up to caress her cheek while the other wound further around her back, nearly encircling her waist.

And you broke through the storm
And you turned back the night
Baby, you are the fire
Burnin' the midnight sky
And your love
Keeps takin' me higher
Just when all hope was gone
Where the hero belongs.
There you were

Spike pressed his forehead to Buffy's as he enjoyed the fact that nobody had ever felt this right in his arms. It felt like he was complete.

Standin' in the middle of nowhere
With your arms wide open and you,
You were the reason when there was no reason
In my life
You're the reason in my life

You broke through the storm
And you turned back the night
Baby, you are the fire
Burnin' the midnight sky
And your love
Keeps takin' me higher
Just when all hope was gone
Where the hero belongs.
There you were

Spike slowly lowered his head to capture her lips with his. The smooth caress of her lips gliding over his nearly made his knees buckle. He had never been this affected by a woman, and he realized he never wanted to let her go.

Like the light in the eye of the storm
Tellin' me not to cry anymore
Where I watched my whole world fall apart
Shinin' through like an angel from afar

You broke through the storm
And you turned back the night
Baby, you are the fire
Burnin' the midnight sky
And your love
Keeps takin' me higher
Just when all hope was gone
Where the hero belongs
There you were

Buffy broke the kiss with a gasp for air as Spike heatedly moved from her jaw to her ear. "Do you wanna get outta here?" he asked in a husky voice.

Buffy didn't trust her own voice, so she just nodded. They headed back to their table where Buffy spoke briefly to Willow who nodded and gave her friend a hug. Spike came around the table and put his hand on the small of her back to lead her out of the club.