“Matt Bedford,” Ruby stated coldly as he came into view.
His eyes widened slightly, “Ruby Singer.”
“Leave,” she said bitterly, clutching the knife she’d been cutting apples with. Okay Ruby, let’s jut put the knife down before you charge and start carving.
“Ruby please don’t be like this,” Matt sighed.
“Tara?” Ruby asked too calmly, “Take the knife away from me before I do something I won't regret but do something that’ll get me fifteen to fifty in prison.”
Tara cautiously lent forward and took the knife away from her.
Just then Riley came in. The oaf seemed totally unaware of the tension between the two and just plopped his overgrown ass down on the couch, “Hey man. I’m Riley.”
“Matt,” Matt introduced himself, “Nice to meet you.”
“Same goes,” Riley nodded.
“So,” Willow asked carefully, “How do you two know each other?”
Ruby rolled her eyes, “Oh he just made me feel like I was something special when no one was looking, toyed with me a bit, acted as though I was nothing more than dog shit on his shoe when his friends were around, used me for sex and then threw me away. That clear it up for you all?”
Tara and Willow both blinked a few times before getting twin looks or anger.
“Nice,” Willow gave him a glare, “He seems like a real nice guy.”
Tara may have been a shy, timid person but when her friends were hurting, watch out.
The mousy blonde girl marched straight up to him and stared him down, “I don’t like you.” She didn’t stutter once, “So I’d watch your back I was you.”
It was Willow and my turn to blink. Riley still hadn’t seem to notice what was going on around him.
“Hey,” Buffy came into the kitchen, Spike in tow, “What’s the matter?”
“New guy,” Ruby shrugged, “I know him. Someone I hate actually. Go figure.”
Buffy nodded, “O-kay. I think?”
Spike gave Matt a short wave, “Hey mate.”
Ruby itched her head and looked away, “Hey, I’m gonna get outta here for a bit. I’m in desperate need for some air. Space that doesn’t have him in it.”
“Oh, okay,” Willow said, “Do you want some company?”
“Uhh, no,” Ruby shook her head, “I’m just gonna head down to the Espresso Pump. Coffee is always good for me.”
“Okay,” Buffy sighed, “We’ll see you later than.”
Ruby nodded, “Yeah. I’ll be back tonight.” Maybe.
Ruby gave them all one last smile before heading out of the kitchen and out the door.
Buffy turned to Matt once Ruby was gone, “Well hi I guess. I’m Buffy.”
Matt smiled slightly and gave a half wave, “Hey. Matt.”
“This is weird,” Willow pointed out.
“Yeah,” Matt agreed with a sigh. Was it ever.

**********************************************************

AN: This next part is a flashback just so ya all know

**********************************************************

Ruby stared down at her coffee and gave a deep sigh. Well wasn’t this just fucked up as ever? God her life was one big soap opera. She looked up from her coffee and looked around the Espresso Pump, then back down into her coffee. Matt Bedford. The first love of her life that didn’t return the feelings at all. Oh great, Ruby thought. Time for a trip down memory lane.

“Hey Matt,” a sixteen year old Ruby Singer sighed to her older boyfriend Matt Bedford in the hall. Matt was the Captain of the football team, had the looks and had the money to back them up. He had THE life, “Can we talk?”
“Uhh what about…Rhona? Rita?”
Ruby looked down at her feet. Mistake one, approaching him at school in front of his friends.
“Ruby,” she said with a frown, “Now please. I really need to talk to you.”
Matt shrugged and gave his friends a “isn't she pathetic” look. Ruby took his harshly by the forearm and ripped him down the hall till they were just out of ear shot.
“What the hell was that Matt?” she asked, tears coming to her eyes,
Matt sighed, “Come on Ruby, you know that you can't just talk to me in school.”
Ruby’s eyes bulged slightly, “Matt, I’m you girlfriend! I should be able to talk to you anytime any where and you should know my name!”
“Will you please keep it down?” he hissed, “Now what do you want?”
“What do I want?” Ruby snapped bitterly, “What the hell do you think I want Matt? You say you love me but you don’t do you? I wanted to know why the hell you hadn’t returned any of my calls since we, since we well you know. Now please. Tell me what’s up.”
He sighed deeply and ran his fingers through his hair, “I really wanted to do this in private Ruby. Can we meet up somewhere after practice?”
“Okay,” Ruby nodded reluctantly, “I’ll meet you at my house.”
He nodded back and headed back to his friends. What she heard before she was out of ear range from them broke her heart all over again.
“Oh, no,” Matt scoffed, “Pathetic little girl wanted a date. Tried to let her down easy but she just wouldn’t get the message.”
A tear flowed down Ruby’s cheek which she quickly wiped away. Oh no Matt. She got the message perfectly.
Ruby waited patiently for him to show up. Practice had let out fifteen minutes ago. Oh if that jack ass didn’t show up. She just didn’t know what she would do.
As though on cue, the doorbell rang. Ruby let out a sigh and got up to answer it.
There stood Matt in all of his glory. He leaned in to kiss her but she turned the other cheek.
Matt sighed and shook his head as he entered the house, “You're mad at me.”
“Damn right I am!” Ruby snapped, “Now you said that you wanted to explain in private. Well here we are. Now tell me what’s your deal.”
Matt took a deep breath as he sat down on Ruby’s living room couch, “Ruby, okay here’s the deal. You and me, it never really meant anything.”
Ruby stared at him blankly, her mind still digesting the news, “Excuse me?”
Matt hung his head, “Ruby you know me and you are from two totally different worlds and you can never fit into mine and I’m not going to stoop to yours. It was all a good time. I’m sorry.”
Tears were forming in Ruby’s eyes, “So all of this wasn’t real to you huh? What, you told me you loved me just for kicks? You know what? Get the fuck out.”
Matt sighed for the millionth time that day, “There’s no need to…”
“Get the fuck out!” the floodgates finally opened and the tears were pouring out, “I hate you!”
“Okay Ruby,” Matt nodded, “I’m leaving. It was fun.”
Ruby didn’t reply. She was to busy sobbing. She’d really loved him and she was nothing to him. It hurt. It hurt worst than anything she’d ever experienced. She collapsed down onto the couch with another harsh sobbed and cried.

Ruby wiped away the tears that gathered up in the corner her eyes and stood up from her seat. Time to stop with the memories. The tears were coming now. She sighed and grabbed her coffee which luckily was in a styrofoam cup. She gave the small café one more glance before heading out.

This is the true story of seven strangers, picked to live in a house and have their lives taped, and find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting REAL.

*****************************************************************************

AN: Hope that explained it all. More angst to come. Review pretty please. I write faster with reviews