Chapter 10: New days

William opened the passenger side door to help Anne get out. After two weeks, she was finally coming home. Just in time, too. William was starting school tomorrow. He’d be a senior this year and was looking forward to the school year.

Anne took his hand and pulled herself out of the car. She was still a bit weak, but at the point that she could take care of herself. William still worried. He wrapped an arm around her and glanced across the street at Buffy’s house. It seemed quiet.

He thought about the night he told Buffy he loved her. He awoke the next morning to find her gone. Every time he called, there was no answer. Willow had mentioned that Buffy had been Bronzing quite a bit lately, although it wasn’t known if she was alone or not. William had spent most of his time at the hospital with his mother.

“William, Do you have everything you need for tomorrow?” Anne asked while closing the front door behind her. William snapped back to the present upon hearing her question.

“Yes, I took care of everything last week. Are you sure you’ll be fine while I’m at school?”

“I wish you’d stop asking me that, William James Randall. I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself,” Anne scolded.

He chuckled to himself. He could see that she was better. “Ok mother,” He kissed her on the cheek and continued, “I have an idea. How about I make us a quick dinner and we watch your favorite movie. Just us two.”

Anne’s face brightened, “That would be absolutely lovely. You know how much I love The Sound of Music” Anne appeared almost giddy as she went up to her room to change. William watched her and smiled to himself. With school tomorrow, he hoped he’d see Buffy. He missed her. He couldn’t wait to see her again.

*************************************
The next morning was spent frantically getting ready and running around. William’s alarm hadn’t gone off so he was running a bit late. Good thing he was an early bird. He grabbed his things and went to say bye to his mother.

Anne was sitting at the dining room table drinking a cup of tea when he walked in. She smiled, wished him well at school and gave him a kiss on his cheek. He called over his shoulder on the way out the door, “Bye mother. See you after school.”


Arriving at Sunnydale High, one of the first things William saw was Willow and Xander waiting for him on the steps. He hurried up to them and said, “Hey guys been waiting long?”

Willow turned towards him and exclaimed, “William, can you believe school is finally here? Do you think we’ll get a pop quiz today? I haven’t had one all summer,” the red- head was almost bubbling over with excitement.

“That’s the whole point of summer, Will,” replied Xander. “So we don’t have quizzes and homework.” Willow’s eyes brightened as the mention of homework. William chuckled. That was one thing he likes about her, she was enthusiastic about learning.

“Hey look, there’s Buffy,” Xander said pointing behind William. He turned around to look for Buffy.

Buffy was walking beside Cordelia towards the main doors. She was laughing and talking as, William noticed, Angel came up behind her and picked her up. Buffy started laughing harder and yelling for him to put her down. William wasn’t sure what he was watching. Angel put her down, and then wrapped his arms around her waist. Buffy turned around to face him and wrapped her arms around his neck. No. Not Angel, thought William. Then to his horror, Buffy leaned in and kissed Angel right on the lips.

William felt his heart drop. He looked away in disbelief. This is a nightmare. This isn’t really happening. If I close my eyes and look back they wont be there!! He shut his eyes and silently counted to three. He took a deep breath and looked back. He wanted to die. They were still there. The girl he loved and his worst enemy making out in front of school. He could feel the cracks start to appear on his heart, and he felt like it would shatter.

Willow was looking at the expression on William’s face. She had never seen him look this heartbroken before. Not even with Cecily. “William?” Willow said softly. He looked at her like he was just realizing she was there. He looked once more at Buffy then Willow and went running towards the school. He had to get inside away from everyone. He ran with his head down so he didn’t notice Harmony in his way.

Harmony screamed as William crashed into her. Books and papers flying everywhere, he landed on his back at no other than Angel’s feet. Angel and Buffy looked down at him, a surprised look on her face. William scrambled to his feet and with one last pained look at Buffy ran inside the school. Away from her and the laughter.

Buffy saw the look on William face and realized, finally, that he saw her with Angel. She hadn’t wanted to hurt him. She never wanted that to happen.

**********************************

William sat in the bathroom stall trying to control his breathing. He didn’t want to believe what he had seen, but why Angel? The one guy that went out of his way to make William miserable. Whenever Angel got the chance he would smugly remind him of Cecily by calling him that god-awful name, William the Bloody. Angel had even dated Cecily for a bit and rubbed that in his face too. He knew the right buttons to push William over the edge.

William finally calmed, he opened his eyes and walked out of the stall. He looked at his watch and was surprised to find first period almost over. He decided to wait out the rest of class and slip into second. He walked over to the sink and looked in the mirror. His refection looked back at him with a heartbroken look on his face. He washed his face and heard the bell ring. Time for second period. This was going to be a long day.

**********************************

Buffy kept an eye out looking for William, but it was already sixth period and no sign of him. She wanted to talk to him. He wasn’t supposed to find out like that. She had wanted to tell him in person, but never got the chance. William’s declaration of love for her had scared her a little. Buffy knew she cared for him, but she didn’t know if she loved him. Now Angel was a fun type of guy, and sexy, and a member of Cordelia’s crew. William was just William. She didn’t know if that was enough for her.

**********************************


A/N: I know some people didn't want Buffy and Angel together, but it is needed for will happen in a furture chapter. But I'm not telling you what... Please review. I do like reading what you think.