Chapter 3: First Impressions

The next morning, Anne called for William just as he had finished getting dressed. William ran into her room worried that she had fallen.

“Mum, are you alright?” William called Anne mum when he was worried about her.

“No, dear, I’m feeling a little unwell. I’ll be fine. I just need a little rest today.” Anne said. She still lay in bed “I need you to do something for me, William.”

“Yes mum, what do you need?” William had sat next to his mother on the bed.

“I was to take that basket to the new neighbors today, but I don’t feel very up to it. Could you do it for me, William?” Anne was a member of the welcoming committee back when she was well. Since she’s been sick, William has been taking over her duties.

William instantly stiffened at the thought of taking one of the baskets over to see her. That wouldn’t make a very good first impression, would it? But he couldn’t say no to his mother. She was ill and it was his place, as the man of the house to look after. He had promised himself that he would, and he intended to keep that promise.

“Yes mother. I’d be happy to take it over for you.”

“Oh thank you, dear. I’ll just rest up today and be all better tomorrow. You’ll see,” Anne promised.

William kissed his mother on the forehead, wished her sweet dreams, and picked up the basket on the way out of her room. He was going to go over now and hope he didn’t humiliate himself in front of her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

William walked up to the door holding a large basket with various coupons and small welcoming gifts. He paused before knocking to steady his breathing. Just calm down, William, No reason to be nervous. I’m just delivering a basket and probably won’t even see her.
He raised his hand to knock when the door suddenly swung open.
The younger sister was standing there looking at him like she was expecting him to burst into song and dance. He remembered her sister calling her Dawn. She's a cute kid. Name suits her.

“Hi. I’m William. Is your mother home?” His eyes quickly scanned the area looking for any signs of the other sister.

“Yeah. Who are you?” Dawn glared at him while crossing her arms.

“Dawn? Who’s at the door?” A voice he instantly recognized called out. He tensed.
Dawn turned away from the door and said, “Just some boy.”

William looked in the direction Dawn was looking and saw her. She was walking toward him with a small smile on her face. William thought she looked even more beautiful up close. She looked right at him and said, “Just a boy? He doesn’t look like just a boy,” she said, emphasizing the word boy.


She walked right up to him and said, “Hi, I’m Buffy. You are?” She tilted her head to the side and smiled brightly at William. William felt his face grow hot. Buffy! Her name was Buffy! He would always remember how she looked right at this moment. He couldn’t seem to stop himself from staring.

She raised her eyebrows at him waiting for an answer when William realized he had to actually talk to her.

“Uh… I’m…William. My Mum is feeling ill so she asked me to bring this over to you. As a welcome kind of thing” He said a little quickly, like he would forget if he didn’t say it right away.

He couldn’t take his eyes off of Buffy. She was beautiful!! He went to hand her the basket when he all of a sudden he dropped it. Everything spilled out onto her feet. Buffy started laughing and said, “It’s alright, William. I sometimes get nervous doing things for my mom, too.” She bent down to help William pick everything up. He kept his head down and desperately tried to prevent her from seeing how embarrassed he was. “It’s like I’m afraid I’ll mess things up and she’ll never forgive me.”

“Buffy? Who are you talking to?” Buffy’s mom walked into the room and noticed William, beat red and trying to reorganize the large basket he had with him. William stood up and looked at her. “Hello ma’am. I’m William Randall. My mum is ill right now so I came on her behalf to welcome you to the neighborhood.” William could feel Buffy looking at him with a smile on her face. Buffy probably thinks I’m a fool. My one chance and I blow it.

“Thank you, William. My name is Joyce Summers. These are my two daughters Buffy and Dawn. Would you like to come in?”

William looked down and replied, “No thank you ma’am. I must be getting home to check on my mum. It was a pleasure meeting you all.”

William turned and hurried away. He moved as quickly as his legs would carry him. He reached his house and ran inside.


Buffy watched him run to his door and laughed slightly. She thought He seemed sweet He's cute too. William, this will be a summer you won’t soon forget. At least, not if I have anything to do with it. With that thought, Buffy closed the door and planned for a great summer that would start later that day. She wanted him; she would have him.