Chapter 7: William’s Music

William had been fortunate enough to avoid the subject of his passion for music. He practiced every morning for an hour, and then he spent another hour writing songs and playing his heart out on the guitar. Anne enjoyed listening to William play. She believed he had real potential to become a famous musician. No matter what happened between Buffy and William, he didn’t want her to know until he was ready to let her know. It didn’t matter what he wanted though, Buffy would find out on her own.

After the night at the Bronze, Buffy and William remained more restrained. They weren’t going to take their relationship farther until it was time. William was all about timing, Buffy wasn’t. They spent most of the time at either his house watching movies or just hanging out with Willow and Xander. Anne had accepted Buffy as if she had always been there; so Buffy usually let herself in the house after being told several times that she could.

Two weeks after the Bronze, Buffy had woken up unusually early one day and got ready for another day with William. She said bye to her mom and ran out the door heading across the street. Anne was getting the paper just as Buffy walked up the sidewalk.

“Morning, Mrs. Randall.” Buffy said cheerfully. She noticed that Anne was looking rather well today.

“Oh, morning Buffy. William’s in his room practicing.” Anne smiled at Buffy and opened the door letting Buffy into the house. Buffy looked confused at Anne and asked, “Practicing?”

“Yes, his guitar. Didn’t he tell you about his guitar? He practices everyday around this time. He really very good,” Anne smiled and sat down to read her morning paper. “No, he never did tell me,” Buffy said more to herself.

Just then, Buffy heard some music. She followed it upstairs and the closer she got the more of it she heard. She heard William’s voice drifting out into the hallway. He was singing!! When she got right outside his door, she stopped and listened.

You could see me reaching
So why couldn't you have
Met me halfway
You could see me bleeding
But you could not put
Pressure on the wound


He was amazing!! She didn’t know that he could sing like that. Buffy crept a little closer and peeked her head into his bedroom door. William was sitting at the foot of his bed with his back to the door. Buffy didn’t want to make any noise to let him know she was here. She wanted to hear more.

You only think about yourself
You only think about yourself
You'd better bend before I go
On the first train to Mexico

You could see me breathing
But you still kept
Your hand over my mouth.


Buffy held her breath. She recalled the little hints that she had gotten over the past few weeks about William, mostly from Willow. The “hobby” that no one would talk about finally made sense

You could feel me seething
But you just turned
Your nose up in the air

You only think about yourself
You only think about yourself
You'd better bend before I go
On the first train to Mexico


William stopped singing. Buffy tried to duck out of the room as quickly as possible, but the door creaked as she went to close it. William shot his head up looking towards the door. He caught a glimpse of Buffy as she tried to scurry out. William felt his blood drain out of his body. She was listening!? How long was she there? Shit! Shit! Shit! William tried to remain calm as he said, “Buffy? Buffy, I know you’re there.”
Sheepishly, Buffy pushed opened the door and walked into his room. Thinking he was angry, she couldn’t bring herself to look at him.

“How long you been listening?” William cocked his head to the side and tried to remain calm.

“I’m sorry, William. Your mom said I could come up and I heard you singing and it was such a nice song and…” Buffy trailed off. She finally looked at William and saw him studying her. He had a relieved look on his face. He smiled slightly at her and said, “You liked my song?”

“Yeah,” She nodded. “I didn’t know you could sing like that either. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I wasn’t ready, but I guess whether or not I am you should know.”

William put his guitar away and moved over to the bed. He sat down with enough room for Buffy to sit. After she sat down, he looked at her and explained the whole story behind his music. He told her that his dad had been a writer before marrying Anne. He wrote short stories and poems. When she got pregnant, William’s dad decided to get a real job to take care of his family. He only wrote in his spare time. After his father’s death, William found some of his old poems and stories. He wanted to express his father’s work in his own way so he picked up guitar playing and writing music. Eventually, William was writing his own lyrics, but he still played the songs with his dad’s writing for his mother. She always had tears and a smile on her face when she heard the songs. It was like she was reliving the happiest times in her life when she heard them. William felt that his own lyrics exposed too much of himself. Anytime someone heard his music was because he was willing to be vulnerable to them. It was very private to him.

William looked at Buffy, his eyes searching for understanding about why he didn’t tell her sooner. “Buffy?” He spoke softly.

She looked down. Buffy felt terrible for listening the way she did. She looked at William. “I’m sorry William. I didn’t know.” Buffy’s eyes got watery. “It was… is a beautiful song.”

“Thank you,” William smiled at her and cupped her cheek with his hand. “Would you like to hear another one, luv?” Buffy looked in his eyes and nodded her head. “Yes,” she whispered.

William leaned forward and lightly kissed Buffy’s lips. He went to grab his guitar and sat back down next to Buffy. “This one is about you.” William took a deep breath and started playing.

When I'm all alone
When I'm feelin' blue
No one understands me, baby
Nobody but you
Through all the sleepless nights
And the rainy day till' the sun is nowhere in view
The only way I make it through is when I come to you

And in my darkest hour, when the midnight shadows fall
Baby you got the power to make the angels come to call
I just hold you in my arms
And let the music in my heart play the whole night through
When I come to you, I felt so brand new, when I come to you

When I come to you, you make it all right again
When I come to you, you keep me fro…

Buffy cut him off with her lips pressing against his. She ran her fingers through his hair and lightly pushed him back against the bed. William pushed the guitar out of the way without breaking the kiss. He laid back onto his bed while Buffy climbed on top of him and straddled him. William brought his hands down her back and caressed her ass. Buffy felt pressure between her legs from William’s crotch. His cock twitched against her, and Buffy instantly grew wetter than she already was. That song was a huge turn on. Buffy started humping on William. She never wanted him as bad as right now. William moaned and grabbed onto her hips.

Buffy tugged at his shirt until William finally pulled it off. Buffy’s sat back and her eyes roamed over his upper body. She ran her hands across his chest and down his washboard abs. William just gazed at her loving the look of pleasure on her face. Buffy ran her hands back up his abs and lightly pinched his nipple.

“Hey!” William almost shouted. “You pinch my nipple.” Buffy giggled and said, “Yeah, so? What are you gonna do about it?” Buffy’s eyes sparkled, and William smirked. He grabbed Buffy by the hips and tossed her on the bed next to him. He turned over and climbed on top of Buffy. Buffy giggled helplessly and tried to squirm away. William grabbed her waist and started lifting her shirt. He pulled it off of her with one hand. Buffy still giggling but no longer squirming noticed how red William’s face was. William had stopped what he was doing and was just trying to digest the fact that Buffy wasn’t wearing a bra!

He cupped her breasts with his hands and looked at Buffy. She noticed the uncertainty in his face and asked him, “Have you ever seen a naked woman before?” William shook his head. “William, have you ever had a girlfriend before?” Again, William shook his head.

“Before you came along, pet, the only girl I talked to was Willow. She’s just a friend.”

Something clicked in Buffy’s head. She asked him, “Was I your first kiss?”
William looked away from Buffy and nodded his head. William finally removed his hands from Buffy’s breasts and climbed off of her. Buffy sat up and grabbed her shirt. She didn’t know what to say so she wrapped her arms around him and just held him.

After a moment William said, “I have never felt like this before about anyone, But if you don’t want someone as inexperienced as me. I will let you go, if you want to go.” Buffy’s mouth opened in shock. Why would she do that?

“Are you kidding? Your first kiss was ten times better than any other I might have had. I’m not letting you go.” Buffy kissed his cheek, and William smiled at her, relieved. “Besides, I want to be around for all your firsts.” William’s smile got bigger.


A/N: I used the following songs in this part. Incubus "mexico" and Jonny Lang "When I come to you". Please Review!!