A/N: Sorry it took so long but with the great computer crash last week, I've had to reinstall some programs and stuff. Please review. I want to know what you think.


Chapter 9: New Friends?

Buffy had called William several times, but no one answered. She thought about stopping by his house until she noticed that no lights were on. She had given up on contacting him, and decided to go meet Cordelia at the Bronze. She thought she looked great so with one last look in the mirror, she grabbed her purse and headed out the door. Time to have some fun.


Arriving at the Bronze, she saw Willow and Xander going through the door. She was pleased to see them and hoped William would stop by later. She walked in and almost immediately spotted Cordelia surrounded by a group hanging on every word. It seemed like Cordelia was the one to know.

“Cordelia!” Buffy called walking up to the group.

“Buffy!” Cordelia pushed people aside making room for Buffy. “You must meet everyone. Especially…” She turned Buffy around to face Angel. Buffy’s mouth almost dropped open when she saw him. He was gorgeous!!! Definitely one of the hottest guys she had ever seen.

“Angel, this is Buffy. Buffy, this is the star quarterback and best looking guy in school, Angel” Buffy looked into Angel’s eyes and felt her knees grow weak. She felt flush; she tried to play it off as cool, as though she wasn’t affected by his looks.

“Hello, beautiful.” Angel took Buffy’s hand and gently kissed it. Buffy melted. Cordelia smiled then squeezed between them. She introduced Buffy to the rest of the group, and then pulled her away to grab some drinks.

Buffy was still a little dazed from Angel when Cordelia asked, “You like him don’t you? I can so see it on your face. I dated him last year, and he is definitely worth dating.” Buffy glanced in Angel’s direction. Harmony was chattering away at him, but his eyes were fixated on Buffy. She blushed slightly and looked back at Cordelia.

Cordelia was looking at her like she was waiting for an answer. Buffy asked her, “What was that?”

“I asked if you met anyone else yet?”

“Yeah, my neighbor, William.” Buffy could still feel Angel’s eyes on her, but kept her eyes locked on Cordelia.

Cordelia’s eyes bulged. “His last name wouldn’t be Randall, would it?” Buffy nodded.

“He’s such an incredible loser. We call him William the Bloody.” Buffy looked confused, why would they call him that?

Cordelia explained, “Our freshmen year, he had this major crush on this uber popular girl named Cecily. She transferred here from England a couple years before. I mean she was like prom queen for two years. One day he sent her some poem that he wrote. She read it out loud at lunch and just laughed and said ‘William, you are beneath me. That was by far the worst poem I’ve read. William the Bloody Awful Poet’. The name stuck with him even after she moved away.”

Buffy sighed. That’s horrible what happened to him. She felt terrible about it. William was so sweet, and that was so cruel. Cordelia was smiling at some guy standing behind Buffy. Before walking up to him, she looked at Buffy and said, “Call an ambulance. That guy will need one when I’m done.”

Buffy watched her go. She saw Angel walking through the crowd towards her with a sexy smile on his face. She really liked William, but she wanted to be included in the “IT” crowd. She knew now that she couldn’t have both, only question was, which one did she want more? Right now, she still wasn’t sure.

******************************************

William’s eyes opened to see his mother looking at him. She was smiling at him and said gently, “My dear boy, you look exhausted. You’ve been here the whole time, haven’t you? You should go home and rest”

“Not until I know you are well, Mother”

“Pish Tosh, What good is it if I’m well if you’re not?” Anne chastised.

William smiled weakly and sighed. “O.k. mother, do you need me to bring you anything back?”

“I don’t want to see you until tomorrow, William. You are to go home and call your friends. I will be fine. Don’t argue. Now give me a kiss and go,” Anne said firmly. William nodded a little shocked at his mother’s firmness. He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. He stood up and grabbed his keys. With one last glance at his mother, he walked out the door and went home.

************************************************

Buffy was walking home alone reliving everything that happened at the Bronze. She had a blast with Cordelia and Angel. He had danced with her
several times and she felt like she was still blushing from some of the things he hinted at. The three of them had a crowd around them most of the night and Buffy loved it. By the end of the night she had given Angel her phone number and made a date for tomorrow night. She couldn’t wait.

She looked over at William’s house and noticed a light on. Immediately she ran over and knocked on the door. The door swung open to reveal William looking slightly exhausted and half naked. His hair was a mass of wet curls. He was shirtless wearing only black pajama bottoms and stood there with a look of confusion on his face.

“Buffy?” William stepped closer to her and glanced around. “What’s wrong? Did something happen?”

She was really liking how he look right now, but the concern in his voice shook her out of her trance. “Huh? Oh no, nothing happened, but I have been trying to get a hold of you. Where have you been?” Buffy was the one to have concern in her voice now.

William looked down and said quietly, “My mum got really ill, so I took her to the hospital. They want to keep her for a while til she’s better. I’ve been with her the whole time.” He sighed.

“Oh my…” Buffy didn’t really know what to say to comfort him. “Do you want me to stay here for a bit to keep you company? At least until your able to relax.” She genuinely worried about him. She knew how much he worried about his mother.

William just looked at Buffy as if considering it then stepped aside and invited her in.

“I’m not keeping you from something, am I?” He asked indicating her clothing.

“No. I was on my way home.” She walked into the living room and sat down. William followed her and sat next to her. It felt like a month since the last time he saw her even though it was only yesterday. She picked up the remote and started flipping through the channels. “I have found the best way to relax is by watching some sappy movie on TV.”

William watched her, amused at her annoyance with all the informercials. She finally found a movie channel that was showing something decent. He couldn’t remember the name of the movie, but knew Buffy had made him watch it before. It was the part where the geek was offering money to the cute girl to pretend to date him.

Buffy cuddled up to William as she got comfortable. He wrapped an arm around her as her head rested on his bare chest.

They watched about half the movie when he noticed that Buffy’s breathing had slowed and she hadn’t seem to move in a while. He tilted his head to look at her face. Her eyes were closed. She must have fallen asleep just a bit ago. She looked like an angel.

William stroked her hair and decided to tell her how he felt, with no chance of rejection, right now. He kissed the top of her head and softly whispered to her, “My mother once told me that when you love someone, you should tell them. I never thought that I would find someone to tell that to. Then you came along. You have changed my life in more ways than you will ever know. I’ll be a better man just for knowing you. Buffy, I love you, and I know that no matter what I always will.”

His voice had gotten shaky. He took a deep breath and kissed Buffy again. William was suddenly exhausted. He leaned his head back and closed his eyes. Almost instantly he fell into a deep sleep; otherwise he might have felt the tears from Buffy’s tightly closed eyes falling onto his bare chest.
****