Chapter 2: Buffy

Buffy Summers had been unpacking for two hours, but the curiosity was already getting to her. What kind of town had they moved into? Where did all the cute guys hang out? What if her clothes were out of style here? What if she wasn’t accepted!?

Buffy had been one of the most popular girls at her last school. Her long blond hair and bewitching smile drove the boys nuts. She had been a cheerleader so her toned body was always tanned and only wore the latest style. Popularity was her way of living. For Buffy, being popular was who she was, it was all she knew.

After finishing one more box, Buffy decided to check out the neighborhood. She had never heard of Sunnydale and really hoped for something fun to do. Bouncing down the stairs, she called out, “Mom! I'm gonna go check out the town. Be back soon!”, and ran out the door before her mom could protest.

It was almost one, and there were several children playing in the yards. Several cars passed, and a couple of cars honked at her. Smiling, she walked down a few streets and was excited to see a cute cafe called Espresso Pump.

“This place looks friendly” She said to herself while walking up to a table. She ordered a drink and watched people stroll by on the sidewalk for a bit. She watched the people go by and wondered what they were like. It was kind of hard to judge though. Bored, she hopped off her seat and headed home.

That was a nice little break, but I better get home before mom has an aneurism. Stupid packed boxes.

When Buffy reached her front yard, she noticed out of the corner of her eye, a guy around her age staring at her from the window.

Who’s that? She turned her head and smiled at him. He was the first person of around her age she had seen so far, he didn’t look too bad. Buffy decided she would keep her eye on him to see what he was like before she introduced herself. Maybe she could have some fun before school started.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bugger!! She saw me! William thought.

He noticed earlier that day that a new family was moving into the house across the street. It looked like a mother and her two daughters. The younger daughter looked to be about eleven. She talked to her mother while walking toward the car. Her mother kept shaking her head no. William chuckled to himself imagining that the little one was probably trying to get out of helping. Then he saw her.

William felt his heartbeat faster and his face grow hot. She was beautiful. She was strolling out of the house calling for her sister “Dawn”. William could hear her voice from the open window and it was like silk on bare skin. With her blonde hair and beautiful looks he couldn’t help but compare her to an angel.

“I have to meet her,” he said out loud to himself.

“Meet who, dear?” William’s mother, Anne, had walked into the room. She was frail and weak most of the time due to illness, but today she looked really well.

“Mother, you look great today. Would you like to have a picnic?” William hoped the invitation would distract from the beautiful girl across the street.

“Yes dear, that would be lovely.” Anne smiled brightly. William loved it when his mother smiled. He took one last look out of the window and went to help Anne with the picnic.

A few hours later, he found himself back at the window hoping to see the new girl again. After a few minutes, he noticed her walking down the street towards her house.

I should go say hi or offer to show her around. Something!! He racked his brain for a reason, any reason, to talk to her, and was stunned when she stopped and turned her head towards him. She had a sweet smile on her lips when William realized she was smiling at him.

Bugger!! She saw me! William thought. He panicked and ducked out of the window before he could make a bigger fool of himself. He looked out the window again a minute later and was disappointed to see that she had gone inside her house. Suddenly inspired, he ran up to his room and scribbled out a new song. All about how beautiful she was when she smiled.