Buffy was hiding behind a rack of sales dresses. She'd seen Cordelia and Harmony enter the shop and ducked out of sight in the nick of time. She had her face pressed up against a hideous peach number she'd been considering simply because it was her size and extremely cheap. For the moment she was safe from the two girls, who would never be caught dead in the bargain section of the shop. They busied themselves with pulling out the latest dresses and holding them up against themselves in the mirror. As Buffy peaked out at them she noted that the most expensive dresses were not necessarily the most attractive. Harmony's taste seemed especially bad. She was going crazy over an ugly blue dress covered in pink frills. Cordelia quickly ripped it out of the Blonde's hands and replaced it with another less revolting. Buffy laughed quietly to herself until she heard Cordelia say her name. She jumped, thinking they'd spotted her until she realized they were talking about her.

"Can you believe how funny it is that Angel asked Buffy to the Prom as a joke," Cordelia laughed while gathering up a pile of gowns to take into the dressing room.

"I was wondering what was going on. I mean, it was so weird. He could ask any girl in the school and he asked Buffy." Harmony gathered her dresses and headed towards the dressing rooms as well. She looked up to make sure Cordelia wasn't watching and then snatched the ugly blue dress back into her pile.

Buffy couldn't believe it. She was so shocked and filled with grief that she sank down onto the carpeting and put her face in her hands. How could this be true? Angel had asked her to the prom as a joke?

"Angel is actually going with that new girl Darla," Cordelia continued, coming out of the dressing room in a tight red dress. She ran her hands over her slim waist and admired herself in the mirror.

"So he's going to take both Buffy and Darla?" Harmony asked from her dressing room. She had on the blue dress with pink frills. She knew Cordelia didn't like it so she wasn't going to come out.

"No Harmony! Oh my god you're so dumb! He's just not going to pick Buffy up. She'll be left all dressed up with no where to go," Cordelia laughed. "Though there's a part of me that wishes Angel would bring her to the prom just so we could see her in all her hideous, cheap glory".

Buffy glanced up at the horrible peach dress she'd been looking at before they'd walked into the shop, then turned her head away.

"Harm, I found the best here. I'm going to put it on hold and then let's head over to that dress shop in the mall, okay?"

"Okay, I'll be out in just a minute." Harmony waited until Cordelia was up at the cash register and then came out of the dressing room. She stuffed the blue dress into her bag and then darted past Cordelia and out the front door.

Buffy watched her and if she hadn't been so devastated she would have laughed. As soon as she was sure they were both gone, she got up from the floor. She glanced around sadly at all of the beautiful dresses and made her way to the front of the store.

"Did you find anything dear?" The owner of the shop asked her kindly.

"No, I didn't actually. But you do have a lot of beautiful stuff here," Buffy replied, itching to leave.

"Yes I do, and that blonde who just left stole a dress I haven't been able get rid of for years. Not sure what it was doing off the sales racks. I thought about busting her but to tell you the truth, I'm just happy to see it gone."

Buffy smiled at the woman and then walked out the front door. As soon as she was outside she backed up until she felt the cool brick wall against her skin. She closed her eyes and let the tears slip down her cheeks. How could she have thought Angel really wanted to take her to the prom? How could she have been so stupid. Now she understood all of the snickering she heard behind her back as she passed through the halls at school. Now it all made sense. She'd been so blinded by her longtime crush on him. God! She felt her face heat up in shame as she went over things again and again in her mind. After several minutes she opened her eyes. It was getting dark. She needed to head to the bus stop.