Chapter 9

Things were getting back to normal. As normal as they ever could be for Buffy, anyway. Giles and Jenny had spoken at length to Principle Synder, and he had grudgingly conceded to have Buffy's class schedule arranged so that either Willow or Xander, friends she intimately trusted, were with her at all times. Spike, Xander, and Willow usually walked her home each day. Willow would frequently stay with her, while Xander and Spike whiled away the hours becoming somewhat reluctant friends. When either Angel, Giles, or Jenny came home, Spike usually left for Harmony's house, only returning at ungodly hours of the night. Buffy was never left alone, except when she was in her room at the Giles' house.

Despite vehement protests from her surrogate family, Buffy had adamantly opposed any more counseling sessions. She'd attended a few, but the counselor had wanted her background and Buffy had a deep seated fear that if she told anyone everything that had happened in her short life, she would be locked away in a mental institution for good. The counselor refused to progress with further sessions since Buffy would not open up or be completely honest with her. Buffy felt certain this pattern would only repeat itself and thus refused to see a new counselor. So she dealt quietly, on her own, with help from the ones she considered family.

Spike hadn't walked her home today. He'd left school with Harmony in tow, but promised Angel that morning that he would be home by seven, since Angel had a school meeting at the college and Giles and Jenny would be out having some time to themselves. Buffy had been adamant they not cancel their plans, since she felt the couple certainly deserved any time they could get after everything they'd done for her and Dawn. Spike was a little late making it home however, and Angel had to rush out the door as soon as Spike showed up.

Buffy could have sworn she'd heard Spike utter one of his trademark Angel insults as he flung himself down on the living room couch. She watched as Spike pulled a mostly empty bottle of cheap whiskey from under his duster and proceeded to unscrew the top and drink down half of what was left. Buffy stood aghast at the sight before her. She'd heard Spike arguing with his father the last few weeks when he would return home at night, and he smelled suspiciously of alcohol lately, but she'd never seen him openly drinking. Something inside her railed against what Spike was trying to do to himself, and she had no idea why he was even doing it. She marched over to the couch and stood in front of him, blocking his view of the Monster Garage episode that he'd quickly become engrossed in.

"Just what the hell do you think you're doing?" She demanded, arms crossed in obvious anger.

Spike looked at the remote in his hand, and then up at Buffy, his face set in amusement. "'S that a trick question, luv?" He asked, a heavy slur evident in his voice.

"Are you drunk?" Buffy asked, incredulous at his behavior.

"Utterly pissed!" He responded, a proud smile lighting up his face.

"Gee Spike, what's next? You've got the booze, how about a hooker to go with it?"

Spikes face took on a little smirk as he spoke. "Why pay for the cow, when you can get the milk for free, pet?"

Buffy was absolutely livid. "Speaking of cows, how is Harmony? What do you even see in her, Spike?"

Spike's face became a mask of cold hard anger, and Buffy felt as if his eyes were burning holes right through her as he bit out his reply, "Something that I can't have."

She was completely taken aback. This anger was directed at her, and she had no idea why. Confusion marring her face, she backed out of the room and fled to her own before the tears could come. She would not give in to that anymore. She was better than that. She would be strong and he would not hurt her. Besides, it was only the whiskey talking, something she knew all about. This was not the Spike she knew. Once he slept it off, he would be her Spike again. The true friend she had come to know.

Thirty minutes passed before a knock sounded at the front door. Buffy ignored it, assuming either Spike or Dawn would get it. After several seconds the knocking came again, more demanding this time. The doorbell starting ringing over and over as the pounding persisted. Buffy sighed in exasperation and made her way down the stairs to find Dawn standing a few feet in front of the door, visibly shaking and with a hand clasped over her mouth. Buffy quickly glanced over at Spike, who was soundly sleeping on the couch and completely oblivious to the noise. As Buffy pulled Dawn aside and looked through the glass, she discovered what it was that had Dawn so scared...her father. As her eyes widened with her own fear, Hank's eyes met hers and he momentarily stopped his attempt to beat down the door.

The pounding soon renewed and was joined with shouting as Hank demanded that Buffy open the door. She didn't have any idea why he was angry, just the absolute certainty that he was. Buffy's mind began fishing for options. She quickly eliminated the possibility of escaping the house. He would find them eventually, and his wrath would be even greater. She couldn't ignore him either. He would find a way in, and again he would be even more upset when he did. Buffy decided that the best thing to do would be to let him in and preoccupy him until Angel or Giles made it home, and she set into motion.

She instructed Dawn to wait until she told her to, and then let him in. Dawn frantically shook her head, but Buffy assured her that she and Spike wouldn't let anything happen to her. She could tell Dawn was still scared as hell, but she seemed to calm somewhat. Buffy ran over the couch, grabbing the phone off the side table and dialed Angel's cell number. It went to his voice mail, and she uttered a prayer of thanks that he had purchased a pager also in his need to ensure her safety. She quickly dialed the number and entered the code 911. With her free hand she was shaking Spike, almost violently, trying to rouse him. He simply mumbled something unintelligible and flipped over on his side.

Knowing Angel would call Giles and they would arrive in only minutes, Buffy decided she had done all she could. She calmly replaced the phone and nodded to Dawn as she straightened her clothes and hair as best she could and readied herself to look as demure and passive as possible. Dawn slowly crept to the door which was threatening to soon give way and she ever so slowly opened it.

Hank quickly pushed the door wide open, sending Dawn stumbling backward, as he strode into the entryway. His steely gaze took in the surroundings and seemed to assess everything around him, until his eyes settled on Buffy. "I'm going to ignore the fact that you deliberately tried to keep me out, young lady," he said as he took on the air that said he held all the control in the situation. Then he snorted, "well that's not quite right, is it?"

Buffy's mind almost froze in her fear that he had somehow found out everything that had happened in the last few months. Together, the group came to the decision that it would be best for everyone concerned if Hank not know what had transpired recently. There was no predicting his behavior if he discovered the exact nature of the relationship between Buffy and Angel, or her currently gravid state. Given his previous act of "selling" Buffy to Mr. Buchanan, and the contempt he seemed to hold Buffy in, they also felt his reaction to the assault would be less than favorable. So they didn't tell him, and held their breath while hoping against hope that by the time he did find out, a plausible explanation would be formulated, and a solution would have his hands tied.

But Buffy had no idea how much he did or didn't know, so she feigned innocence and hoped he bought it. He apparently didn't, since he grabbed Dawn by the arm and started dragging her small but protesting little body to the door.

"We're leaving, Dawn. I won't have you corrupted by a two-bit little snot-nose who spreads her legs for every boy in town," he seethed.

Dawn began pleading in earnest with Buffy, alternating her cries with shouts for Spike to wake up. Buffy's heart clenched as Dawn sobbed to her, "You promised! Buffy, don't let him take me! Buffy, please!"

Buffy reacted instinctively as she raced over to her father and grabbed the arm that wasn't struggling with a desperate Dawn and began pulling in the opposite direction. She realized a second later that it probably wasn't the smartest thing she had ever done, as Hank's movements ceased and he focused his undivided attention on Buffy. It was a small consolation to Buffy as she noted that in doing so, he released his grip on Dawn who promptly scrambled away. Dawn would have a hiding spot, and Buffy simply prayed it was a good one.

"You want to know why I'm home on an unscheduled visit?" Hank asked. Buffy simply nodded her head in agreement, looking only through her eyelashes to see his demeanor as his spoke. "I really didn't have much choice. You see, I was tracked down in Paris by Mrs. Meers, who told me this really funny story about you accusing her son of rape. So then I had to fly half way around the world to come take care of what Mr. Giles apparently can't handle."

Buffy didn't look up, but had enough steel left in her to counter his statement. "It's true daddy."

"Oh please. I've seen the way you behave. We both know it's all a lie, so we are going to clear up this little embarrassment by going down to the police station so that you can tell them the truth," he ordered, as he grabbed Buffy by one arm and shook her, as if to shake the truth out of her.

"I already did, daddy. Please believe me," Buffy pleaded.

"What I believe, is that you're a lying little bitch who's probably been sleeping around with half the school!" Hank replied, his anger rising to dangerous levels again. "What happened Buffy, did you get yourself knocked up and cry rape so everyone would feel sorry for you?"

Buffy's face would have been readable to a four year old child as she reeled in horror that he had guessed she was pregnant, and her free hand covered her abdomen of it's own volition. In her horrified stupor, she didn't even notice the look that crossed his face as he noted her reaction. Hank's other hand came around in a sharp backhand across Buffy's face that sent her flying backward into the coffee table, sending its contents flying, as he shouted at her, "You stupid slut!"

Buffy had a half second to note that, thankfully, Spike was now rousing and looked to be trying to get his drunken brain to process what the hell was going on. As she turned to check where her father was, and where she could scramble to, she saw a massive dark blur of coat and limbs send a fist flying straight into her unsuspecting father.

The world seemed to go into a surreal slow motion, as she watched Hank Summers lurch backwards and land in a heap a few feet away from her. She made no move, just simply stared at the sight before her. For the first time in her life, she saw her father scrambling backwards for purchase as he tried to figure out just what had happened. She continued to stare at him as she felt strong arms pick her up and gently place her on the couch. She heard sounds, and felt someone softly stroking her hair. Finally a name cut through her fog. It was her own.

Buffy could only manage a mute look as she noted it was Angel who was talking to her. She heard him spit out a command to Spike to take care of her as Angel turned away from her and strode over to stand over her father. Buffy felt certain with every cell of her being that Angel was about to kill Hank, and she called out to stop him as he bent over Hank. Buffy saw the look of terror cross her father's face, but Angel had frozen, his fist in mid-air. He glanced over his shoulder a moment before he dropped his fist and instead, he reached down and picked Hank up by his shirt front. From the corner of her eye, she saw Giles come skidding into the house, followed quickly by Jenny.

"Buffy is mine now. If I ever hear you speak to her like that or come anywhere near her, I will not hesitate to beat you into a bloody ooze," Angel spat as he shook Hank then threw him backwards.

Hank had the gall to look disgustedly at Buffy whom Spike was holding protectively, before he started laughing. One hand came up to wipe at the blood that was dripping from the river running from his lip to his chin. "Managed to finally reel you in did she? And here I always figured it'd be your brother who'd finally take what she was throwing out there. In fact, he probably did." A nasty little smile lit up his features as he looked Angel in the eye, "Did you know she's pregnant? It takes a pretty big man to raise his brother's child."

Angel leaned dangerously close to Hanks face. "In case you haven't noticed, I am a bigger man than you. But, it doesn't matter, because both Buffy and those babies are mine," Angel said, growling his final word.

Hank looked between Buffy and Angel for long moments before a truly evil smile took over his face. "Well, this is interesting. It seems I'll be going to the police station after all. They'll be very interested to know about your little activities with my minor daughter. I'm sure they will have no problem accepting that you sucker punched me to keep me from reporting your little sexcapades. And I have all the proof I need in Buffy."

Angel held a look of incredulity for a moment before he burst out laughing and stepped back from his place over Hank. Buffy looked worriedly from him to a confused looking Giles, and then to Spike, who still didn't seem to be quite up to speed just yet.

"You really are stupid aren't you?" Angel finally asked, still laughing. "You just assaulted your daughter, who you evidently knew to be pregnant, in front of two witnesses. I'll bet the Sunnydale police will be very happy to finally have the proof they need to nail you."

Hank had the intelligence to look suitably frightened as understanding took over. He looked around to each of the people in the room and finally looked to be resigned that he had lost this battle. He picked himself up and straightened his rumpled appearance with mock dignity before he stalked over to the door, beating his final retreat. At the door, Giles hand shot out and roughly shoved Hank against the door way with his forearm pressing insistently into Hank's neck. As his airway was cut off, Hank began clawing and pulling at the larger man's arm, trying to free himself.

"It would be best if you didn't come back, Hank," Giles said, spitting out the name with ultimate contempt and fixed him with a dangerous glare that sent shivers through everyone in the room. Except for Jenny who's face lit up with a knowing smirk. Hank managed to nod once, and Giles released the pressure against the man's throat. As Hank started to leave, Giles once more slammed him back against the door.

"One more thing, if your rash behavior has harmed Buffy's children in any way, there will be no where you can hide that I will not find you. Do you understand?" Hank again managed a slight nod and when Giles released him, he quickly escaped out the door while he felt he still had a chance to.

Silence reigned in the household for a moment as everyone processed that the threat of Hank no longer hung over everyone's heads. They were all finally free. It was Spike who finally broke the rare sound of stillness.

"Um, what just happened here?" Spike asked, still slurring somewhat.

Buffy was startled by an unholy roar from Angel as he launched himself over the coffee table and proceed to start pounding on Spike. The couch only absorbed a minimum of the blows as Angel held Spike with one hand and beat him with the other. After the first few punches, Spike started responding by kicking, bucking, and punching. He managed to throw Angel off of him and into the coffee table, which finally had taken too much abuse and shattered. Spike jumped onto Angel and was returning the beating Angel had been issuing him.

Buffy watched the spectacle before her, unsure who seemed to be winning the brawl. She looked to Giles and Jenny imploringly. Jenny moved to intervene but Giles held her back, shaking his head in a resolute "no." Buffy sighed, a bit relieved as she saw Dawn creep up behind Giles, her eyes wide. She was relieved Dawn had come out of hiding, but had more pressing matters at the moment. She turned back to the pair in front of her, a tangled mess of limbs and blows, and began shouting at them to stop. Buffy's emotions had taken the last strain they could stand that day when repeated shouts and pleas didn't seem to break through to them, and she collapsed into the floor next to them, a puddle of sobbing girl. Oddly, this seemed to reach them when nothing else could.

The fight stopped, and both remained frozen at the sight before them. In the years that they had known her, Angel had never seen her in such a state, and Spike had seen it only once. Angel seemed overwhelmed by it, and immediately looked contrite that he had at least partially been the cause of it. Spike however, scrambled off of Angel and over to Buffy. As he tried to pull her into a comforting embrace, Buffy shoved hard against him, pushing him away as she stood up. She wobbled dangerously for a moment, but Angel came to his knees and held her steady.

"Buffy," Spike started to say, holding a hand out to her. A desperate look in his eyes, which were already starting to swell from the fight.

"No!" Buffy interrupted. "You want to know what happened? I'll tell you. Dawn and I needed you and you were too damn drunk to help us. That's what happened." Buffy finished, teeth clenched against her anger. As she watched her words register with Spike, her expression softened to one of great sadness. "I trusted you to take care of us Spike. You promised me. 'Till the end of the world', remember?"

Spike reeled as if Buffy had physically struck him. As he stepped back, he tripped on a piece of the shattered coffee table and fell hard on his arse. He simply sat there, staring off into the space in front of him as Buffy turned and ran from the room, followed closely by Angel. To Giles and Jenny, and a still trembling Dawn, it was quite obvious that Buffy's words had hurt Spike more than any of the punches Angel had thrown.

"God, what have I done?" Spike asked, his words finally clear.

**********

Everyone had left Spike to contemplate the repercussion of his actions. Spike knew he deserved everyone's contempt, but no one could be harder on him than he would be to himself. Everything hurt, inside and out. He was still sitting in front of the couch, praying for any mercy that any god would bestow on him, and knew he was deserving of none. Someone had been listening however, as the combination of emotion, alcohol, and pain finally overtook him and he slipped into an uneasy sleep...

**********

"We're not all gonna make it. You know that." Buffy said. A simple statement of fact as Spike pulled various weapons from the chest.

"Yeah. Hey, always knew I'd go down fightin'." Spike acknowledged.

"I'm counting on you... to protect her." Buffy informed him.

A resolute look crossed his face, "'Till the end of the world. Even if that happens to be tonight."

"I'll be a minute," Buffy said, turning to proceed up the stairs to retrieve more weapons and change into more suitable, end-of-the-world-battle clothes. She was halted in her progression up the stairs by Spike's quite but firm words.

"I know you'll never love me." Spike paused as Buffy turned around on the stairs. "I know that I'm a monster, but you treat me like a man. And that's..." Spike's words halted and he couldn't seem to finish his thanks. "Get your stuff, I'll be here."

Seeing that nothing further would be forthcoming, Buffy turned to resume her task.

The battle was vicious and Glory's minions had been fervent in their duty to prevent them from stopping the ritual to bleed Dawn. The gang had watched as the upper hand seemed to alternate between Buffy and Glory. Each one fighting fiercely to get to Dawn, who stood tied at the top of the tower awaiting her fate. Whatever that may be.

As Buffy continued to battle with Glory, the scoobies had regrouped, with the exception of Willow and Tara, who were stranded on the other side of the workyard. The group had tried charging the minions to get to Dawn on the tower, but had been beaten back and they were now trying to formulate another plan when Spike noticed that someone was up on the tower with Dawn.

Suddenly Spike heard Willow's voice as clear as day telling him to "get up there." He'd given slight resistance, wondering just how he was supposed to get through the throng of minions, when Willow told him to "go... now!" So, he took off and charged at them, and the minions parted like the red sea. As he rounded the top, it became clear who was there with Dawn.

"Doesn't a fellow stay dead when you kill him? Spike asked, cautiously approaching the two figures in front of him.

Doc smiled, "Look who's talking."

"Come on, Doc. Let's you and me have a go." Spike said, drawing the attention away from Dawn.

"I... do have a prior appointment," the elderly looking man responded, bouncing the knife off his index finger.

"This won't take long," Spike offered, still inching forward.

"No, I, I don't imagine it will," the little man stated.

As Spike charged forward, the strange man was suddenly no longer in front of him but behind him, and Spike was being held by throat and the butcher knife was stuck in his right kidney. A shocked cry of pain erupted from him, before he freed himself from Doc's grip. The knife clacked noisily to the platform as Spike spun around and put himself between Dawn and the deceptively fast creature. He would apparently keep his promise or die trying.

"You don't come anywhere near the girl, Doc," Spike snarled the order.

The little man looked bemused. "I don't smell a soul anywhere on you. Why do you even care?"

"Made a promise to a lady," Spike informed him.

"Oh?" Doc replied, sending his tongue shooting out towards Spike's head. As Spike leaned sharply to the side to dodge it, Doc dropped down and swept Spike's feet out from under him and sending him crashing to the grate. Spike quickly recovered and jumped to his feet. He wasn't quick enough however, as Doc again grabbed him from behind, pinning Spike's arms behind him in a firm grip.

"Then I'll send the lady your regrets," Doc offered.

A moment of pure clarity shone on Spike's face as he realized he'd failed. He saw the moment it also occurred to Dawn, as her eyes widened in fear and she shook her head. This couldn't be it. He'd made a promise...

"No..." he whispered, and shifted to break away again. With nothing further, Doc threw him off the tower. He tumbled through the air for what seemed like an eternity, watching the ground rising up to meet him. He crashed down with a heavy thud and bounced slightly. Several bones must have shattered at the impact, and his head had surely exploded. Despite the darkness that threatened to overtake him, he tried to push up but instead found himself nearly unable to move. He could only listen as everything around him continued.

Buffy obviously got the better of Glory, and abandoned her to make another break for the tower and Dawn and Giles approached the fallen god, now in its human form.

"She could've killed me," Ben told Giles.

"No, she couldn't. Never. And sooner or later, Glory will re-emerge and... make Buffy pay for that mercy, and the world with her," Giles informed the young man, who was shallowly gasping now. "Buffy even knows that, and still, she couldn't take a human life. She's a hero you see. She's not like us."

The sounds of struggle could be heard, followed finally by silence for a few moments. The battle seemed to be over. Then suddenly Dawn's cries of pain sounded, followed shortly by Doc screaming as he took the same way down that Spike had. And then all hell broke loose. Literally.

Spike felt the ground opening up beneath him and rolled free of the fissure just in time. Seconds later, the chaos stopped and all was deathly quiet. Minions lay scattered, some alive, others not. The scooby gang all made their way toward their fallen hero.

Despite his shattered leg that refused to respond, and his countless other broken bones, Spike managed to pick himself up and drag himself toward Buffy. As her lifeless body came clearly into view, he stumbled and found he couldn't get his body to go any further. He looked upon the woman who held his heart. He had failed to save Dawn, and now Buffy was lost to him forever.

Spike unconsciously tried to cover his face...and he wept.

**********

Spike awoke with a start. His hands covered his face as the unbidden tears flowing freely. Oh God, what had he done?

**********

Buffy awoke with a start as a thought crossed her mind. She was no longer the one chosen one. No longer would she have to be the one to sacrifice. Her calling was over. She was finally... truly... free...



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n-mwa, ha, ha. What an evil place to leave it, no? Was that a nice little twist? Whose dream was it? Are you certain?

For my wonderful Spuffy devotees, take heart. We are almost there. I promise.

Oh yeah, dream sequence courtesy of "The Gift", written by Joss Whedon. (as if you didn't know!)