First Christmas

The scream abruptly shook Buffy from her deep slumber, and brought her to an upright position as fast as any woman six months pregnant with twins could really move. As she thrashed around, trying to disengage the covers that refused to release their captive, Angel stilled her movements with a gentle hand. Buffy’s head whipped around in shock, just as another of Dawn’s screams filled the house.

At seeing the amused twinkle in Angel’s eyes, it slowly dawned on her that the scream was not one of terror or pain, but one born of delight. Even now she could make out the bubbly laughter of her younger sister drifting to the bedroom like a spring flower caught in the insistent, careless breeze.

“I guess Santa figured out where to leave the presents after all,” Angel smiled.

“Santa?” Buffy echoed in a tiny voice. “You didn’t, did you?”

“Who me? Nah. Think I’d give up holding onto you, just to sneak downstairs and leave a bunch of presents for some kid who’s too old to believe in Santa?” Angel asked. “I am kind of surprised he managed to get past Spike though,” Angel answered with an ever widening grin.

Before Buffy could reply, there was a firm knock at the door. “I take it you are both awake, now? Unless you plan on letting Dawn open your gifts, I suggest you make your way downstairs.” Giles amusement could also be heard through the door. “I do believe she’s in a bit of a frenzy, and libel to open anything not already claimed.”

Buffy and Angel quickly made themselves presentable, and then joined the rest of the family downstairs, just as Jenny carried in a tray filled with steaming hot mugs of cocoa. Everyone took a mug and found some place to seat themselves as Dawn’s delight spread to them all like a contagion.

Dawn had situated herself directly in front of the tree, several packages already strewn about her. Bright Christmas wrap lay in piles all around the room, a testament to Dawn’s frenzy. When Dawn noticed that Buffy had joined the rest of them, she quickly set aside the gift she was unwrapping and climbed over boxes and wrap to throw her arms around Buffy.

“Oh my god, oh my god, did you see, did you see? Look, Buffy, look!” Dawn hurdled back to her spot in front of the tree, and began handing out gifts with the joyful enthusiasm usually displayed by children half her age.

“To Buffy, from Santa. To Spike, from Santa,” she called as she generally lobbed gifts to their intended recipients. “Buffy, me, me, Angel, Jenny, Spike, me, Buffy, Giles, Giles,” and so the list went on until all the presents had been allocated appropriately and everyone began to unwrap their gifts.

Buffy could only watch is stunned silence, as the sparkle of ribbons, the smell of the tree and the cocoa, the delighted squeals, and the calls of “cool!” and “how delightful” and “oh honey, you shouldn’t have” enveloped her. Not since she’d been a very small girl had she had a Christmas like this.

Her lap was filled with presents from Giles and Jenny, from Santa, Angel, and Spike, and Dawn. There were even gifts addressed to the twins, waiting for her and Angel to unwrap, and two resting against the wall that she imagined contained bassinets, judging from the size. Everyone was smiling and laughing. The delightful scents of the day’s coming dinner were already beginning to fill the air, and it all overwhelmed her, and she began to cry.

She couldn’t remember the last time she’d cried such happy tears. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d been so showered with displays of love and for the first time in over a decade, she truly felt like she had a family.

As she pondered all her feelings, she felt the twins jostling around in their comfortable cocoon. Even the little one’s seemed to be bounding with excitement. The next thing she knew, Spike was standing in front of her with handkerchief in his extended hand. As she nervously glanced around, it appeared that no one else had noticed her tears, or were making a good show of not noticing anyway. As she looked back up at Spike, she was certain she saw understanding in their depths for just a moment, before a small smile took over as she took the cloth and Spike stepped back to his own spot by the new coffee table.

Buffy accepted the temporary peace offering. Today was special. Today was her first real Christmas as an entire family. The day passed as expanded time, with more happiness, food, laughter, and everyone, even Spike enjoying the newly rambunctious displays the twins made of Buffy’s abdomen. A lifetime of love and care filled every waking moment of this day, and Buffy knew that this memory would certainly stay with her for the rest of her new life.