Chapter 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N-Warning. Chapter has implied intercourse between an eighteen year old and a minor of sixteen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last year and a half had been a dream come true for Buffy. She had long ago stopped believing that miracles could happen, but she was beginning to think maybe she was wrong about that. It was the only explanation she had for her current situation. Her father had received a promotion to a new position at work that took him out of town, heck out of the country, for very long stretches and not infrequently either.

Buffy had been terrified when she first learned about it, thinking that she would be even more isolated than she had been. She feared she would have to say goodbye to the only people she knew. The only ones who really ever saw past the specter of her father. She was afraid she would be forced to give up her friends. Traveling would've been nice, but not having a drunken and enraged father around was even better. He still popped in for a few weeks here and there, but for the most part, he was gone.

For some reason, Hank decided that he would rather leave her and Dawn here in the care of Mr. Giles and Jenny. They had become the parents she thought no one really had any more. Jenny was an amazing cook. At first, it had been awkward to sit down and have pleasant meals with wonderful conversations every evening.

They were very encouraging with both her and Dawn. They weren't pushovers but seemed to understand that both her and Dawn were in entirely new territory. They still made sure their grades were kept up, and everyone had their share of responsibilities in the house. Buffy could almost pretend that these people were her true family.

Dawn was fast embracing Jenny as a mother figure, and Buffy was glad. She had done her best to be everything she could to Dawn, but with only five years between them, she knew she fell far short. And Giles, who was very much the stuffy type to the outside world, had a determination and sweet disposition that conveyed his concern for them all.

Spike had instantly taken up the big brother position with Dawn, and he indulged her far too often. Dawn was just getting into that phase where boys were dreamy and Spike's cultivated bad boy image was exactly the kind of thing a girl like Dawn could spend countless hours fantasizing about. Spike, for the most part, seemed oblivious to this.

He had also become Buffy's best friend. They spent many evenings sitting together and mocking the shows on TV. It seemed that there wasn't anything she couldn't tell him. It had been that way before, but was even more so now. He was a really good listener. He even encouraged her to share the stories of what she could remember of her mother. His own mother had died of cancer. He had only been a few years older than Buffy was when her mother had died.

Then there was Angel. Even at the age of sixteen, she was certain that this was her true love. He was her protector, her dark champion. He had a kindness about him, and he was always so gentle with her. As if he thought she were made of glass, and he had to protect her lest she break from misuse. He had made a show of dating a few girls in high school, but none of them stayed with him long. His entire world seemed to be wrapped up in her, and the other girls didn't take that very well. Now, her and Angel were officially an item. Which was no small thing, considering she was only sixteen and he was eighteen and about to start college in the fall.

Angel now lived in an apartment near campus, with a roommate; a really creepy guy named Warren that had gone to school with them. Angel didn't like him really, but the rent was cheap and it got him out of the stigma of living in his parents' house while in college. Buffy frequently found herself there, especially on weekends since school was out and her chores were done. It was nice to be able to spend time with a man who thought she hung the moon. Which led her to her current situation.

They were sitting on the couch in his apartment, making very heavy with the smoochies. She was very glad he had an apartment now, because anytime they tried getting a little time alone at the house, Spike or Dawn seemed to choose that exact moment to interrupt them. Now, however, the only person to interrupt them was Warren and he was in his room on the computer most of the time.

This week had been a rough and long one. Her father had been home and it was getting more and more difficult each time to make the transition back and forth. The happiness she enjoyed with the Giles had her resenting being with her father even more. This week he had been a real ass too. He'd even threatened Dawn, whom he usually just ignored. Of course, Buffy had intervened and brought his wrath upon herself.

But he had left town earlier that afternoon, and she was desperately needing to connect with the feelings she had for her surrogate family. Unfortunately, they were all busy today. Spike was off with his insano girlfriend, and Giles and Jenny were having a “date night” as they called it. Dawn was camped out at Janice's, which left her with Angel, whom Buffy was more than happy to connect with.

Buffy mewled as Angel's hand gently caressed her thigh. Their kisses were becoming more and more urgent. They had never gone past the petting stage. Angel had previously forbid it, and Buffy was inclined to follow his lead, usually. But tonight she wanted to be loved and held and cared for; she wanted to feel the tenderness and sweetness and adoration that only Angel had for her. Tonight, she wanted Angel. All of him.

So, she took the proverbial bull by the horns, or horn as it were. This elicited a deep moan from Angel. They had gone this far before, but Buffy found she wanted more, she wanted...

“Love,” she mumbled. “I want to feel loved Angel.”

Angel pulled back slightly as he looked at her with confusion. “I do love you. You know that don't you?”

“Show me,” she whispered, as she looked into his eyes. “I want you to show me.”

Angel's eyes widened as he realized what she was asking. He shook his head, vehemently opposing, though he couldn't seem to find his voice.

Just when Buffy thought he might speak, she brought her hand up and covered his lips. “Sshhhh. I know. I've heard all the arguments. But, I need this right now. It won't matter in the long run if we started a little early. You said yourself you want us to be together forever, remember?”

“God, Buffy, I do!” Angel exclaimed. “But you're still so young. You should be out there having fun with your friends, not making plans for forever with me.”

Buffy looked shocked. She felt rejected. Had Angel grown tired of her? Did he want a girl his own age? She couldn't help it as tears formed in her eyes and fell unbidden down her face. Angel immediately saw them and pulled her in to his encompassing embrace.

“No,” he said firmly. “Don't doubt us, Buffy. I do love you. I do,” he repeated, now rocking her gently. “God knows I've tried, but I can't stop.”

“Me either,” she whispered as she leaned up and pulled him into a kiss. Feather light at first, it soon deepened into a consuming kiss. Both of them desperate to convey the depth of their feelings.

Breaking the kiss, Angel whispered uncertainly, “Buffy, maybe we shouldn't.”

“Don't. Just kiss me.” Buffy answered, leaning back in.

It was the final moment of waiting. As Buffy began to lean back on the couch, Angel stopped her. He scooped her up in his strong arms. As he carried her into his bedroom, Buffy continued their kisses. As they fumbled their way through the awkward right of passage, in her innocence Buffy couldn't help but feel that finally, after eleven years of waiting, she was well and truly loved.