Buffy left work as soon as she could that afternoon, hoping to draw off the paparazzi so her colleagues could go home in peace. It worked, but then she was stuck having to deal with them.

She was glad Spike had sent a driver like he said he would. She didn't much like driving anyway, and she doubted she would've been able to handle driving all the way out to his place while being followed. This way, she could just hide behind the tinted windows and let it all be in someone else's hands for a change.

When the gates in front of Spike's home closed behind the car, Buffy felt a small amount of relief. The reporters were locked out, and anything past this point would classify as undeniable trespassing. Maybe she could have a moment's peace now.

The driver let her out near the front door, and she stepped out of the car, smoothing down her skirt as she stood. Spike opened the door almost immediately, and she rushed to him as fast as she could in her high heels. Buffy threw her arms around him, burying her face against the side of his neck as he returned her embrace.

"I've missed you all day," Buffy said, holding him tighter. "All I could think about was how I wanted to get to you."

Spike let out a deep breath as he felt a rush of relief go through him. She wasn't going to leave him… Apparently, Mona had been right. Again. One of these days, he'd stop doubting her. Maybe.

He kissed the top of Buffy's head before he said softly, "Let's go in where we can have a little more privacy, all right, luv? Bloody telephoto lenses and all of that."

Buffy pulled back slightly, though not away from him. "Okay."

Spike waved to the driver who responded with a nod before he got back into his car. Then, he brought Buffy into the house with him. "Do you need anything, kitten?" Spike asked as he locked the door.

"Just you," Buffy replied. She smiled. "I'm already feeling a little better."

"Good."

"So are there like servants around or anything like that?" Buffy asked.

Spike shook his head. "No. I just have a maid service that comes in three times a week. No permanent staff or valets or anything like that. Most stuff I can handle by myself, and the idea of someone always in my house like that kind of weirds me out."

Buffy chuckled. "Good. I didn't really feel like dealing with anyone who's not you right now."

"You don't have to."

They walked together into the living room, taking a seat on the couch. Buffy leaned against his chest, relaxing as Spike ran his hand through her hair.

"I'm sort of scared to go home," Buffy admitted after a moment. "I'm not even sure if they know where I live yet, but if I went there, then they'd definitely find out. Besides, I don't have a gate. They could just camp right outside my door—which they could be doing right now, for all I know."

"You can stay here until this all blows over," Spike offered.

Buffy looked up at him. "I'm glad you offered, because I was planning to anyway. Dawn's at her friend Kit's dorm on campus. She didn't want to go home either. She said she might come camp out here later, but I think she wanted to give us some time alone."

"She's more than welcome, too. She's already got a room here anyway. Do you want me to call Mona and Rory and ask them to go by your apartment and get some of your things? At least enough so you don't have to go back into work in the same outfit you wore today."

"You think they'd do that?" Buffy asked.

"Of course. They just live right up the road. I'll just ask them to come by and get your apartment keys and then they can go get whatever you need. Rory's good at losing trailers anyway. He gets a kick out of messing with them."

Buffy giggled. "Somehow, that doesn't surprise me."

Spike kissed her softly before he got off the couch. "I'll go call them."

Buffy relaxed against the cushions of Spike's couch, trying to tell herself everything was going to be okay. The paparazzi couldn't possibly show this much interest in them forever, could they?

Either way, it was becoming very clear to Buffy what her life with Spike was going to be like—even more so than it had been when she'd thought about it in the abstract. Everywhere they went, he'd be recognized. Their privacy was going to be very limited. On top of that, she was apparently now a person of interest as far as the tabloids were concerned, which was something she'd never really fully considered before. She'd thought the majority of it would be focused on Spike. It had never occurred to her that she'd have to face things like a gaggle of reporters outside her work. And she'd certainly never considered the possibility that she'd ever be afraid to go home the way she was now.

"Rory and Mona will be over in a few minutes," Spike said as he walked back into the living room. "They said they don't mind helping out like this at all."

Buffy looked down at her hands. "I feel bad for not keeping in touch with her. I thought about her a lot, but after what happened between you and me, I didn't know what to say to her. I knew she'd manage to wheedle the truth out of me, and I didn't really want you to know."

Spike sat down beside Buffy and cupped her chin so he could tilt her face back up towards his. "I know, luv. But it's okay. Mona will understand. She still likes you."

"I still feel bad."

Spike kissed her forehead. "It's all right. The past is done with. You're sticking around this time, aren't you?" He'd felt since Buffy threw her arms around him at his front door that she probably wasn't going to dump him again tonight, but he still wanted the assurance of hearing her say the words.

"Of course I am. I love you, Spike. I want to be with you."

"I love you, too, kitten."

"Do you realize you've got enough people to start another Woodstock outside your house?"

Spike turned sharply towards the sound of Mona's voice. "Why did I give you people a key again?"

"So we could barge in your house whenever we wanted," Rory replied. "Hi, Buffy."

"Hi, Rory. Hi, Mo…" Buffy trailed off, her eyes widening. "Oh my god, Mona, you're pregnant!"

Mona laughed. "Yes, I am. Eight months along, as a matter of fact." She put her hand to her rounded belly. "The stud over there is quite pleased with himself," she added, jerking her head towards Rory.

Buffy got off the couch, though stopped short right before she reached the couple. "Well, congratulations." She paused and began to wring her hands. "And it's good to see you again."

"You, too," Mona said with a warm smile. She opened up her arms. "Come here. Give me a hug if you can reach me."

Buffy smiled back, hugging Mona the best she could over the auburn-haired woman's pregnant stomach. After a moment, she pulled back. "I'm sorry I…"

"Didn't call? Didn't write?" Mona supplied, though her smile was teasing. "It's okay, Buffy. I thought you were completely nuts for leaving Spike, but I could get why you were distancing yourself. And well, after Spike told me what Travers did…" She paused and cleared her throat. "Lynch mob anybody?"

"I can get torches," Rory offered.

Mona rolled her eyes. "He's a pyro," she mock-whispered to Buffy, making her giggle. "Anyway, Blondie over there says you're in need of our paparazzi-evading services."

"You really don't mind going over there for me?" Buffy asked.

"Not at all," Mona replied, shaking her head. She added with a wink. "I never pass up an opportunity to rifle through someone's things."

"Well, knock yourself out with mine, you won't find anything interesting," Buffy said with a laugh.

"That's what they all say."

"Just give us a list of what you want us to get, Buffy," Rory said. "I'll make sure she behaves herself."

Mona snorted. "Please don't tell me you're still under that delusion, dear."

"I'll go make the list," Buffy said, laughing. "Spike, do you have paper around somewhere?"

"There's a study down that hall," Spike said, pointing. "Third door on the left."

"Okay. I'll be back in a few minutes." Buffy walked off, unable to keep from chuckling as she heard Mona and Rory bickering behind her. Even after three years, being around them felt comfortable, familiar.

Eventually, everything with the press would calm down. She was sure of it. Spike had said any sort of problem they faced where this was concerned would just blow over in time, and she believed him. After all, he'd been in this world for three years now—shouldn't he know better than her?

It was only temporary, and the effects wouldn't be lasting. She was back with the man she loved and she had her life going exactly where she wanted it with her job. Things were perfect, paparazzi be damned.

With a smile, Buffy switched on the light in Spike's study and began to search for a pad of paper.

*** *** ***


"Would you mind if I asked them to stay for dinner after they get back?" Spike asked once Rory and Mona had set off for Buffy's. "I know you said you didn't want anyone around but me…"

Buffy shook her head. "No, I don't mind at all. They are going way across town to get my things for me after all. Besides, I've missed them. It'll be nice to catch up."

"Good." Spike leaned in and gave her a quick kiss. "I'm going to fix something to eat then. Keep me company in the kitchen?"

Buffy grinned. "Ooh. I always loved doing that. You're so sexy when you cook."

"So you've claimed in the past," Spike replied with a laugh.

They walked together to the kitchen, and once there, Buffy took a seat on one of the counters. Spike smiled, the familiarity of seeing her there—even a different kitchen than it had been in the past—warming his heart.

"Whatcha gonna cook?" Buffy asked as Spike went over to the refrigerator and started digging around.

"Chicken alfredo. It's easy."

"Says you, Mr. I-Could-Be-On-the-Food-Network," Buffy said. Suddenly, a memory popped into her mind, and she smiled. "Hey, that was the first thing you ever cooked for me."

Spike started setting ingredients out on one of the non-Buffy occupied counters. "Yeah, it was."

"I was surprised to see you could cook anything. Little did I know, that was just the tip of the culinary iceberg."

"Well, somebody had to feed you," Spike said, closing the refrigerator door. "You were scarily thin. I had to get some meat on your bones before you blew away in the next strong wind."

Buffy responded by sticking out her tongue, and Spike chuckled. "I've told you to keep that in your mouth unless you're advertising, luv," her said her with a leer.

"You have got the dirtiest mind in the world," Buffy informed him with a roll of her eyes.

"Well, what do you expect me to think?" Spike asked. "I know what that tongue of yours can do." As if emphasizing his point, he shivered at the memories.

"I'll blow you later, dear. Right now, you make with the delicious, carb-filled goodness."

Spike shook his head, laughing as he turned back to the food. His earlier doubts were quickly fading faster as he and Buffy seemed to slip easily back into domesticity. At the moment, it wouldn't even take much to pretend the past three years hadn't happened at all.

He put the chicken in the microwave to thaw, then put on a pot of water for boiling the noodles. When he turned back to Buffy, she was watching him, a smile on her face that he couldn't help but return. He met her eyes.

"I love you."

Her smile widening, Buffy replied, "I love you, too."

*** *** ***


Apparently several people didn't like the scene with Amanda in the last chapter. I'm sorry if people found it irritating and/or completely unrealistic. Yes, I do realize Buffy shouldn't have that sort of conversation with her student. However, people don't always do exactly what they should. It was neither a conversation she initiated nor one she wanted to have, and the reason I had it in the story—and let it go that way—was to show both how tired and exasperated Buffy was with everything and how caught up the school is in Buffy's life now. I guess from some of the reviews I got I didn't do a very good job of expressing that for everyone, but I think given the situation and the personalities involved, it's a plausible scene, and I stand behind it as being a justifiable part of the story.

Also, I know this chapter is a day early. This is the Friday chapter. I'm leaving to go out of town very soon and won't be here tomorrow to update, so I'm posting it tonight. There will be no new chapter tomorrow. The next new chapter will be Monday.

Please review!