"Wow, Buffy. That's really…well, freaky. I mean, it would freak me out if I was in your shoes," Willow said after Buffy had used a lull during work to relate to the redhead the story of Faith.

Buffy shrugged. "It's no big. I mean, I guess it is for Faith—and that guy she killed—but, I mean, I haven't seen her since she dropped out of school at the beginning of our junior year. And we hadn't really been hanging much before that either."

"Still, your former best friend going to prison…"

"She made some bad choices, and now she's dealing with the consequences," Buffy said as she grabbed a rag and stared to wipe off the counter. "But hey, on a good note, Spike hooked up with a band, so there will now be more money coming into my household."

Willow raised an eyebrow. "Spike's an official part of your household now?"

"Uh, well, it's not like his name's on the lease or anything, but he doesn't act like he's going anywhere soon. He might as well help with the paying of the bills."

"That all?" Willow nudged Buffy's arm. "I saw you two at my apartment the other night."

"That's because we were both there. If you hadn't seen us, you would've been blind."

"No, silly." Willow leaned down, whispering almost conspiratorially. "The sparkage."

Buffy's eyes widened. "Sparkage? There was no sparkage! As a matter of fact, there was the opposite of sparkage! There was negative sparkage!"

Willow held up her hands. "Fine, be denial girl if you want to be, but I saw sparkage—especially when we were eating dinner. Tara saw it, too."

"You're both insane."

The door opened, and Willow and Buffy looked up. They relaxed when they saw it wasn't a customer but Anya, who immediately came towards the counter, fixing her hair as she did. "Anya Jenkins—late? Is the world ending?" Buffy asked, grateful for the distraction from the turn her conversation with Willow had taken.

"I had car trouble," Anya replied as she came behind the counter.

"Uh, you don't have a car," Willow pointed out.

Anya rolled her eyes. "I had trouble in a car then."

"What sort of trouble?" Buffy asked.

"Okay, fine. I had sex in a car. I met Xander when he had a break between classes, and we sort of lost track of time." Anya glanced around. "Is Rat Man here?"

"Nah, Snyder hasn't shown," Buffy replied.

"We were kinda hoping he died," Willow added.

"I had a dream he was eaten by a giant snake," Buffy said perkily. "We were pulling for it to turn out to be prophetic."

"That's something even I'd willing fork over money to see," Anya said. "He drives me crazy with his inability to properly and efficiently run a money-making operation. That, and his beady little eyes disturb me. I can't wait until I have everything settled enough to start my own business."

"How are things coming with that?" Buffy asked.

"Good. I think the bank's actually going to approve my loan, and I've found a space I'll be able to afford. If everything goes smoothly, I should soon have joined the proud ranks of the American small business owners."

"And you'll remember us when you're Snyder-free, right?" Willow asked with a smile.

"Of course!" Anya replied, putting one arm around Willow and the other around Buffy. "Who would I want working for me but my two favorite girls?" Anya giggled, pulling back from them. "Well, I'm off to balance the books. Have fun selling food!" Anya went into the back office, shutting the door behind her.

"Wow, she's in a good mood," Willow said once she and Buffy were alone again. "She didn't even rant about the lack of customers in here."

"I know," Buffy replied. "Maybe she should have sex before work every day."

"With Xander and his libido, that can probably be arranged." Willow shuddered. "And I really don't want to go there."

"Neither do I, but if they're happy, I'm happy for them."

"It may not be the match I would have envisioned him making, but I like it when my friends are happily attached," Willow said, giving Buffy a pointed look.

"What? I'm happily unattached, thank you very much. Besides, it's not like I have any worthwhile prospects anyway."

"Whatever you say, oh denier of Spike sparkage. And even if he doesn't do it for you, there's still Riley. You can't tell me you haven't been at least a little tempted by his offers."

Buffy sighed. "Yeah, Riley can be rather…tempting, but I just don't know, Will. He's very nice, and I've been tempted by the nice before—it didn't end well."

"You mean Parker? That was years ago, and I know Riley can't be that much of a jerk."

"Parker and, well, other things. I had a relationship in high school that didn't end well."

Willow nodded. She knew something had happened to Buffy back in California, but she'd learned in her time as Buffy's friend not to pry. It only made Buffy shut down more. "Maybe Riley could help you move on," Willow suggested. "He really is a good guy, Buffy."

"I know, it's just… Customer!" A man walked in, and Buffy put on her best "may I help you" smile as she went over to the register, effectively putting an end to the conversation.

*** *** ***

Buffy walked straight to the couch as soon as she got home, flopping down ungracefully. "Long day?" Spike asked from beside her. Buffy grunted. "I'll take that as a yes."

"I want to curl up and sleep for a month. Ooh, maybe a year. Or better yet, maybe I can learn Rip Van Winkle's secret. God, I hate it when I'm stuck working both jobs on the same day."

"Are you hungry? There are some leftovers in the fridge I could heat up for you."

"Would you really? I'm starved."

"Sure thing, kitten. You just relax, and I'll get you all fixed up."

"I'm going to change out of this horrible uniform they make me wear, and I'll be back in a minute," Buffy said. "That is, if I can get my legs to work."

Spike stood, holding his hand out to her. "Come on, princess. To your feet."

"My painful, swollen feet," Buffy muttered, taking his hand. As Spike pulled her up, she wobbled slightly, falling forward against him. Spike slipped an arm behind her to keep her from falling backwards, too, managing to pin her against his chest in the process. Buffy stared up at him, her eyes wide. She could feel his warmth even with their clothes between them, and her heart started beating rapidly.

To either her relief or disappointment—she wasn't sure which—Spike set her upright again and let go of her. "Careful there, pet. Don't want to hurt yourself."

"It was just a little stumble. No big."

"All right then. You go change, and I'll get your dinner."

Buffy nodded and went into her room. As soon as the door was shut, Spike let out a deep breath. Two seconds of Buffy in his arms, and his nerves were going haywire. She'd looked up at him with her big green eyes, and it had taken all his willpower not to kiss her senseless. He knew he shouldn't be feeling this way towards her, but he couldn't help it. She was so strong, yet vulnerable at the same time. He wanted nothing more than to make her pain go away, to give her everything she could ever need.

"That's the same kind of thinking that got you hurt with Drusilla, mate," he muttered to himself. "You opened your heart to her, and she tore it out."

Spike rolled his eyes, realizing that Buffy not only had his emotions in a tizzy, but she was also causing him to talk to himself. He sighed and went to the fridge, pulling out the Tupperware containers with the leftovers from the meal he'd cooked earlier in the week.

*** *** ***

After dinner, Buffy and Spike returned to the couch, settling on some mindless television to watch. Spike could see the circles under her eyes, exhaustion written clearly on her features. "Feet still hurting you, luv?" he asked.

"A little," Buffy replied. "They're letting me know they did not approve of the amount of standing I did today."

Spike patted his lap. "Swing 'em up here."

"Huh?"

"Would you just trust me?"

At that, Buffy did as he asked without any further argument, and Spike took one of her feet in his hands, massaging it gently. Buffy sighed happily. "You're really good at that," she said.

"It's a useful skill," Spike replied, smiling at the look of bliss on Buffy's face. "This helping you, pet?"

"Yes. Thank you."

Spike switched to the other foot, giving it the same treatment. "I give a pretty damn good back rub, too."

"Really? I might have to take you up on that sometime."

"Anytime you want, these hands are yours."

Spike's words and the look he was giving her made Buffy's stomach flip. Why did he have to be so damn sexy? This would be so much easier on her if he looked like say, Peter Lorre. But no. He had to be gorgeous. Wait…when had she decided Spike equaled gorgeous? Buffy frowned.

"Something the matter?" Spike asked.

"No. I was just…thinking."

"This isn't making you uncomfortable, is it?"

"No, not at all," Buffy replied. And honestly, it wasn't. The problem was it was making her a little too comfortable.

After a moment, Spike stopped. "Better now?"

"Very. Thanks."

"Just glad I could help."

Buffy moved her feet off Spike's lap, noticing how much better they really did feel. The thought "magic hands" went through her mind before an image of what other "magic" they could be capable of flashed through her mind, and she had to look down to hide her blush. She couldn't believe she was having these thoughts about Spike. She decided to blame Willow and her damn "sparkage" claims. It was just her mind reacting to that conversation. Nothing more.

Spike stretched his arms up, resting his hands behind his head as he watching the television. His new position pulled his shirt taut over his chest, and Buffy could see each one of his muscles clearly defined. Her mouth went dry as her fingers itched to touch him.

This was bad, Buffy decided. Very, very bad. She stood up, forcing a yawn. "Well, I'm beat. See you in the morning."

"Rushing off so soon?"

"It's late. I have to work tomorrow. Have a good night, Spike."

"Sleep well, Buffy."

Buffy gave him a nod and practically ran into her room. As soon as she was safely inside, she sat on her bed, taking a deep breath. She forced herself to calm down, reminding herself that it was just Spike. No need to get worked up.

She turned off the light and got under the covers, fighting her thoughts until she finally went to sleep.

*** *** ***

The sounds coming from Buffy's room were soft, but Spike knew they were what had woken him. He went to the door, opening it slowly and peaking in. Light trickled in from a streetlamp outside the window, and he could see the tears streaming down Buffy's cheeks as she tossed and whimpered in her sleep.

Spike went to the bed, sitting on the edge and shaking her gently. When she didn't wake, he pulled her up so she was sitting, his hands on her shoulders. Buffy's eyes snapped open, her look wild and confused. She blinked as she became aware of her surroundings. "Sp…Spike?"

"Yeah. You were having a bad dream, pet."

Buffy sniffled. "It wasn't just a dream," she said softly. "It…it…" He voice trailed off as she began to cry again, slumping forward on Spike's chest.

Spike held her loosely against him, rubbing her back as he whispered softly against her ear. When the sobs wracking her tiny body finally subsided, her lowered her back down to the bed, tucking the blankets around her. "Are you going to be okay, luv?" he asked, wiping her tears away with his thumb.

"I…I don't know." Her voice was small and scared, and Spike wanted more than anything to be able to take her pain away, whatever was causing it. "Could you maybe hold me? Like you did last night?"

"Of course, Buffy. Whatever you need." Spike got into bed next to her, opening his arms to her. Buffy moved into his embrace without hesitation, burying her face against his chest as she cried. Spike held her tightly, trying to be strong for her when she felt weak. "I'm here, Buffy," he said softly, pressing gentle kisses into her hair. "You don't have to be alone anymore."

Buffy shook at his words, her grip around him tightening. "It…it hurts so much," she said. "So much…"

"I know, luv. I know. Let it all out. I won't let you go."

Buffy did as he told her to, crying against him until she was too tired to cry anymore. Still clinging to him, she fell asleep.

*** *** ***

If you're reading this, please review. It would be very much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has reviewed so far!