Three months. That’s how long it had been since the first appearance of the First.

Buffy had calmly explained to her friends that she’d had a vision about the First. But she definitely did not tell them about how she saw most of the future.

---Flashback, three months before---

“I-I had this dream. A few nights ago. I didn’t know what it meant until the First just showed up.”

“Didn’t it say something about seeing the future?” Dawn asked.

“Y-yeah…talking about my dream…that’s all the future I got to see,” she lied in assurance.

“So, is this something we should be worried about?” Xander asked.

Buffy and Giles shared a knowing look. “You should be more than worried.”

---End flashback---


Immediately, Buffy had the council round up all the potentials they knew of. They weren’t going to be brought to Buffy’s house, but put in a safe haven somewhere in England.

Buffy had no idea how she was going to work this out.

Willow had called a week after her disappearance and assured Buffy and Tara that she’d be back soon. She didn’t tell them what she was doing, just simply that she’d come home soon enough.

Sometime or another, Buffy would have to get Willow to do the spell to make all the potentials slayers. They’d need the muscle once the fighting started.

None of the Scoobies had anymore encounters with the First since that day.

But, none of them had yet to see Spike either.

Even Giles had been concerned for the bleached vamp the other day.

Huh. Who would’ve thought?

As Buffy continued to dry the dishes, waiting for Dawn to get home from Janice’s house, she never heard someone open her front door.

As Spike walked in the front door, he was a little confused. Hadn’t Buffy said he’d no longer be invited? Shrugging it off, he put on his best ‘I love you’ face and started slowly toward the kitchen. Buffy was humming some tune while washing the dishes over the sink.

Buffy felt her slayer senses kick in and she turned quickly.

But she couldn’t prepare herself for seeing him.

After three months of no word at all.

He was just standing there, smiling, like he would every other day.

“Hey,” he said in a monotone voice.

“Hey? Gone for three months and all you have to say is ‘hey’?”

“Hey, you’re the one who-” Suddenly, Spike stopped himself. Fighting with her wasn’t going to get her on his side.

“I’m the one who what?”

“Nothing…I just needed to think, okay?”

“And it took you three months? Brain must be slower than I thought.”

Okay, now he was just getting pissed off. He was trying to be ‘nice guy’ here, and she threw it back in his face.

Okay, technically, he just wanted to bite her.

But he had to wait. The First assured him he could be the one to kill the slayer.

“Sorry,” Spike mumbled.

Buffy just shook her head. “You should be. God, what were you thinking!?”

“Hey, now!” What was she so worked up about? Oh yeah, new evil that wants her dead. Funny.

“You were gone! What am I supposed to think? I mean, there’s this damned First Evil that wants to kill me, and I’ve got a couple dozen slayers piled up over in England just sitting and waiting for me to give them an okay to move. And you! You weren’t here!”

Spike would’ve laughed if he could. Seeing a slayer so worked up over something.

But no. He had to play pretend now.

“Oh, Buffy…I’m so sorry, luv.” Buffy blinked back tears and nodded her head.

“Listen…it’s late, Buffy. I guess…I’ll go.”

“No. I mean…with this new evil…it’d be nice if you could…stay?” Spike smirked inwardly. It was so easy to get her exactly where he wanted. The more he was around her, the more he would find out about her plans.

“Okay.”

---Next night---

Spike walked into the caves the First used and leaned against the wall. When the First finally appeared, it took the form of Kennedy. “So?”

“I’m in. Also got some info for you.”

“…Well?”

“She was talkin’ to me last night. Told me that the girls were over in England in some little fort they set up.”

Kennedy’s form smirked and then cracked her neck. “I love it when things work out my way.”

“Uh, yeah, great for you.” He didn’t sound like he cared. “Why is the Slayer acting like she never told me to piss off when she met up with me that day?”

The First knew he would ask that. “Forgetting spell I had Caleb do. I leave the fairytale stuff to him,” she said, sounding like Kennedy still.

Spike was still skeptical. He wouldn’t care whether Buffy had really said it or not. He hadn’t felt this free in a long time.

He didn’t love or feel.

Which made everything so much easier.

“Lemme ask you somethin’ then. You take the forms of the dead. Can you look like Buffy?”

“No.” It was a lie, but it couldn’t have Spike thinking that it was all a setup. “I can only take the forms of the currently dead.”

Spike smiled slightly and then pushed himself off the wall. “Well…when do I get to play with her?”

Smiling, the First answered, “Let me kill those pesky potentials first. Then you can have her.”

With a smirk, Spike started walking away.

---Same time---

“No, Superman could totally-”

“It was a figure of speech, Andrew.”

Andrew just smiled, knowing he was annoying Buffy.

Last month, Buffy had upgraded the basement a little and made it as comfy as she could. Andrew and Jonathon actually had separate twin beds to sleep in now. And they were no longer ‘guestage’…just guests. They’d tried to prove themselves worthy a couple of times by trying to help with patrol, and Buffy couldn’t help but give them some slack.

“So…Spike’s back,” Jonathon said, changing the subject. “What’s that like?”

“Confusing.” Buffy’s shoulders slumped a little as she admitted this. “He’s just been a little weird.”

“Well…I can make cupcakes,” Andrew offered. “Or, hey! Movie night! Just us three, the couch, a couple of chick flicks?”

Buffy had an amused smile on her face, but then shook her head ‘no’. “Sorry…I’m a bit tired from all the waiting. For the First to make it’s move, ya know?”

They both nodded and Buffy got up from the couch, heading toward her room.

As she was about to get into bed, she was surprised when Spike came walking though her bedroom door. “Hey,” he said softly.

“Hi…”

She remembered how nice it felt when he had just held her those few nights.

He knew what she was thinking. She was a woman. What else would she want besides having him hold her and be there just to comfort?

Okay…Caleb’s personalities were definitely rubbing off on him.

Note to self: Not so much training time with Caleb.

As Spike held her that night, both of them had separate thoughts. Buffy wanted to know what was causing this odd gut feeling.

Spike just wanted to know when she’d fall asleep so he could go get an update with the First.