“Buffy?” Spike repeated as Andrew, Jonathon and Tara ran out on the front porch. “Buffy!”

Buffy finally blinked and by reaction, jumped away from Spike.

“Luv, it’s alright, I promise,” Spike soothed as he inched closer to her and kneeled before her.

“You’re…I mean, why…it just…”

Spike silenced her by pulling her into a hug. “A spell, Buffy. The First used a spell on me a couple months ago.”

Tara sighed in relief that her spell had worked and she went closer to the couple.

“Come on, Buffy. W-we’ll get you some tea and tell you what happened, alright?” Buffy accepted Tara’s hand and the five went back inside.

----

The next morning, Buffy woke to the sunlight streaming across her face. Slowly sitting up, she decided to make her way down.

When she entered the dark living room, she remembered that they had closed the blinds because Spike had decided to sleep on the couch.

She sat down in the chair in the living room, turning the TV on low volume so she could watch it. When she was sure Spike wasn’t going to wake up, Buffy picked up the telephone and dialed a number.

“Hey, Giles…yes, I’m fine. Uh, Spike’s good too. I don’t think there’s any side effects from the spell…yeah…Oh, right, um…I need you to call the council. Tell them to send the potentials over here to Sunnydale tonight at the latest…yes, I’m sure…Thanks. Bye.”

Buffy hung up the phone and made sure Spike was still sleeping before she picked it up and dialed another number.

“Angel?” She started in a whisper. “No, I’m fine…because I don’t want to wake Spike up…no, he’s not in my bed!” Buffy immediately calmed down and sighed when she realized Spike was still asleep. “Listen, I need you to do something for me…There’s an amulet. Supposed to be worn by a champion, something with a soul but greater than human…yes, it’s dangerous, but I really need it, Angel…Don’t do that. Don’t try to protect me. This is my job. I need that amulet….Thank you, Angel…One more thing. Don’t mention the amulet to anyone, okay? Keep it between me, you, and whoever you have to talk to in order to get that amulet…Thanks. Bye, Angel.”

Buffy sighed and put the phone back in it’s cradle. Standing up, she walked from the living room and into the kitchen.

Spike opened his eyes in the living room. The confused expression on his face was enough to show that he had heard both phone conversations.

---Next night, Buffy’s living room---

Twenty potentials sat scared in the confines of the living room. Xander, Anya, Giles, Tara, Dawn, Andrew, Jonathon, and Spike sat there also, wondering why Buffy had called them there.

Finally, Buffy walked into the large living room and took a deep breath. “I’ve just contacted Willow. She’s on her way home.” Walking into the room a little further, Buffy just glanced to each potential. “Hi, um, everyone. You’re all probably wondering why I brought all the potentials here…” After a short pause, she continued. “This isn’t going to be a battle, you guys. This is going to be a war. That means a bunch of big battles that result in death.” When everyone stared at her with wide eyes she shrugged. “But, hey…life of a slayer. Means you die. Then again, everyone dies.”

“Um, is this supposed to be helping us?” A potential asked with narrowed eyes. Even her friends were a little shocked at how she was talking.

“Wars result in death,” she continued. “Just make sure it’s none of you that are doing the dying.

“I’ve gone through countless battles with my friends, and they’re still here. They aren’t slayers, or potentials. But they get the job done and come out alive. You can do the same.”

“So, why did you call us here?” Another potential asked.

“Because tonight’s battle number one. And to be in a battle, I need an army.”

“Wait,” Xander said suddenly. “How do you know there’s a fight tonight? Did we get threatened?”

“No. I’ve decided I’m not waiting around for them to pick us off. We start the battle and we’ve got the advantage. You guys done asking questions?” Her tone was slightly annoyed.

“Now, hold on, Buffy. You can’t just jump into a battle without making plans,” Giles told her.

“I have made a plan. We go to this vineyard. It’s where Caleb, ubervamps, bringers, and the First hides out.”

“Ubervamps? Bringers?” Dawn asked.

“Ubervamp is a really ugly-looking vampire. Also very strong. Stronger than me. Bringers are eyeless guys who are out to kill us all.”

“And we’re just going to walk into their lair? I’m not liking this, Buff,” Xander said.

“Look, I don’t even know if they’ve raised an ubervamp yet. And bringers aren’t that strong.”

“So, you’re willing to take a chance?” Dawn asked, feeling very skeptical.

Buffy was getting very annoyed. This was the second time she’d had to go through this. All she wanted to do was get it over with. That’s why she was being extra bitchy.

“Fine. You know what? You all can stay here while I go out and do this.”

Spike chose now to cut in. He grabbed her arm before she got to the door. “Hey now. Stop right there. You’re certainly not going in alone.”

“I’m going in whether you guys come or not. And since it looks like everyone’s staying here, I guess I am going alone.”

“Buffy. Now, Spike is making a good point. You cannot face all of this alone.”

“Watch me.” Everyone’s eyes softened at the pain they heard in her voice. They had no idea how hard it was to go through all this again.

She’d been all tough and commander-y because it helped to hide the pain. But when Giles had said she couldn’t face it alone, it brought up old memories and she couldn’t help how her voice cracked.

“Wait, you guys.” Xander stood up. “Now…Buffy’s never been wrong about these things. Even when we doubt her. So…let’s get ready and we’re following you, Buff.”

Buffy smiled at her friend and nodded. “I’ll meet you all outside.”

---Outside, just a few minutes later---

Everyone was still getting ready as Spike stepped out on the porch to stand by Buffy. “You had visions about all this in Heaven didn’t you?”

“I already told you I did.”

“No…you didn’t tell me the specifics about the First.”

“No, I didn’t.”

“I’d like it if you did. You’re planning something, Buffy. And you need to let me in, or you’ll get yourself killed.”

“Spike-”

“We’re ready, Buffy,” Dawn said as she opened the door for the potentials, Xander, and Tara to step out. “Giles, Anya, and the nerds are staying here with me.”

Buffy nodded as they set off for the vineyard.

She had to get the scythe tonight.

---Vineyard, middle of the fight---

Buffy swung around, landing a kick into a bringer. So far, they hadn’t seen any ubervamps, so that was of the good.

“Buffy!” She heard a girl shout. Turning, she saw a potential in the hands of Caleb.

When they got here, Buffy had quickly learned that Spike stabbing Caleb with the sword wasn’t enough to kill him.

“No!” Buffy yelled at Caleb. “Let her go!”

“That’s not the way these things work, Slayer.”

“Xander, get everyone out!” Buffy shouted at him as she ran toward Caleb. By the time she’d gotten there, Caleb had already broken the girl’s neck.

“Oops. Guess I bent her poor neck the wrong way.”

Another potential, who had been distracted, felt a sword slide through her lower abdomen and she fell lifeless to the ground.

Xander had managed to get the rest of them out. The only ones left were Spike, Buffy, and the two dead bodies.

Without hesitating, Buffy ran forward, delivering hard fast blows and kicks. Caleb didn’t have time to react as she blocked him in a corner and backhanded him to the ground.

Now she turned and started running for the entrance where she knew the scythe was. But suddenly she was pulled back. Turning, she realized that the one holding her back was Spike.

“Buffy, we need to get out!”

“Let go, Spike!”

“Slayer, I’ll carry you out if I have to. Preacher Boy’ll get up any second. Let’s go!”

Spike had to drag Buffy out and when they got there, they were met with the eighteen remaining potentials, and an expressionless Xander.

---Later, Buffy’s living room---

“I did not make a mistake tonight, Giles,” she argued.

“How can you say that!” A potential yelled. “We just watched two of our friends die! We warned you, and you led us down there!”

“Because I had to.”

“Why, Buff?” Xander asked, finally talking. “What did we get out of this?”

“He has something down there, Xand. It’s the key to winning this.”

“Even if you are right, and it is down there…where is it? It’s still down there, Buffy!” Anya practically yelled. “You acted like you knew you would win. But you didn’t. Do you think you’re better than us?”

Buffy’s eyes widened. This conversation was sounding way too familiar.

“You’re being careless,” Rona pitched in.

“We can’t win if you’re leading us,” Anya said, not sounding very sorry.

“Which is why you should go,” Dawn said in almost a whisper. “I love you, Buffy. But…this is big and we can’t have you making big decisions that get everyone killed. You need to leave.”

Buffy looked around, and no one looked like they would object.

Except Spike who looked pissed off and ready to kill everyone in the room bar Buffy.

“I’m sorry, Buffy. But you can’t be apart of this anymore.”

A/N: I loved the “Touched” episode. But, unfortunately, things are going to go way different. Buffy’s not giving up like before, so she won’t even need a comforting speech. Just wait for the next chapter when this conversation is continued.