Buffy’s expression didn’t even change as her friends and family tried to kick her out.

“Buffy…I…” Dawn started.

“No,” was Buffy’s answer. “I’m not leaving.”

“That’s right, she’s not leaving,” Spike said, his angry side coming through.

“Buffy, we understand that you want to help. But you didn’t even think today.”

“I thought plenty,” Buffy said in a casual tone. “Now that we’re done with this discussion, is anyone hungry?” She asked as if the conversation was really over.

“Buffy…”

“You’re being careless!” Rona shouted and a few other potentials agreed.

“No!” Buffy yelled back, losing her cool. “I’m being a leader!”

“Being a leader means getting people killed?” Giles asked. “We clearly warned you of the consequences and you ignored them!”

“Okay…” Buffy said in calm tone. “I’ll tell you what. Anyone who doesn’t like my tactics and leadership. Get out of my house. But once you walk out that door, don’t you dare expect me to protect you against the First.”

“Do you just think you’re better than us?” Anya asked. “You think you’re the only one who can protect us?”

“No. Spike can help,” Buffy retorted.

“Buffy. We just think you need some time to cool off.”

“And do you think that by kicking me out of my own house, in a city where I’m wanted dead, that I’m going to cool off!?” Buffy yelled. “Six damn years! Six years I’ve protected you, so don’t you dare tell me that I’m being careless, or that I need to leave.”

“In Buffy’s defense…”

“Shut-up, Bleach Boy,” Xander cut off Spike.

“No. He’s in this too. As much as you may not like it. He’s in this.”

Everyone in the room looked a mixture of angry and shamed. “Um, can I say something?” Andrew asked. At Buffy’s nod, he cleared his throat. “Buffy’s a good leader. She fights stuff and keeps saving you guys. So just because you guys don’t agree with her, doesn’t mean you need to get all selfish with the leader position.”

Jonathon spoke up. “Yeah, I mean…she’s done this for six years, and now you’re putting her out there with nothing. No one.”

Spike stepped forward. “Um, actually, she goes, I go too.”

Bravely, a shy potential stood up. “Me too,” she said strongly. “You guys, Buffy’s done everything possible to protect us. She can’t insure that some of us won’t die…but she’s been trying pretty damn hard. So…if she goes…I’m going with her.”

Dawn took a deep breath. “We’re just saying-”

“No. This conversation is over, Dawn. I’m staying. You don’t like it? You leave.” Dawn was taken aback by Buffy’s harsh words and looked hurt. “Don’t you do that. Don’t you tell me to leave and then act wounded when you get the same retort. Doesn’t work like that Dawn.”

Dawn was about to say something when suddenly, there was a knock on the door. “Buffy, it’s me!” Buffy heard Angel call.

Smiling, she went to the door and let him in. “Whoa…guess you’ve got some company.”

“These are the potentials, Angel. So, do you have it?”

“Have what?” Giles asked.

“The amulet,” Angel answered.

But at the same time, Buffy shouted out “Nothing,” not wanting Giles and the others to know. Luckily, her voice drowned out Angel’s so the others didn’t hear. “Where is it?”

Angel sighed and brought it out, but didn’t hand it to her. “I can’t let you have it, Buffy.”

“Hell you can’t. Give it here.”

“Buffy…I researched it. This thing is beyond dangerous. It requires a sac-” Buffy knew he was about to say ‘sacrifice’ so she cut him off.

“I know it’s dangerous. But it’s the key to winning this, okay.”

“Buffy…”

“What is it, Buffy?” Spike asked quietly. Both Buffy and Angel turned to him.

“What are you doing here, Spike?”

“He works for us,” Buffy explained as Spike walked over. She looked at him for a second before smiling. He returned it and Angel looked confused.

“Wait. Am I missing something? Buffy…is he…”

“What?”

“Ya know…your boyfriend?” Everyone in the room had wide eyes as they waited for her answer.

“No,” she replied as if it was crazy to think. Spike looked down; he’d known that would be her answer. Buffy then smiled a little. “But he will be.”

There were whispers and gasps going around the room, but Angel’s look of confusion made Buffy’s mouth twitch into a smile.

“Buffy…you can’t be serious.”

Spike was smiling now too. “Oh, I think she is,” he said with a smirk aimed at Buffy.

Buffy seemed to come out of the moment quicker than any of them. “I need the amulet.”

“Buffy, you have no idea what this thing does.”

“Yes I do,” she said quietly.

“Buffy…there isn’t a written record about what exactly it does except the fact that the sacrifice needs to be something with a soul, but more than human.”

Everyone gasped but Buffy ignored them. “Which would be me. Now give it.”

Spike pulled Buffy a little roughly so she’d face him. “No. You’re not doing this.”

“You don’t even know what I’m going to do!”

“You mean besides kill yourself!?”

“What?” She asked, and then sighed. “Oh, God…Spike. I’m not going to be the sacrifice, okay.”

“Then how do you plan to do it?”

“Easy…or, I’m hoping it is. I wear it, it works, then I take it off and run for my life.”

Buffy heard Dawn giggle behind her and it made Buffy smile a little. “Buffy…” Angel started, and as he did Buffy took the amulet from him. “Hey!”

“Ha. Might want to work on those reflexes, Angel,” she teased. Angel sighed and smiled.

“Buffy…be careful, okay?”

“I promise.”

Buffy took a step forward and Spike thought for sure they were going to kiss. But instead, Buffy gave the older vampire a friendly hug. “Thanks for this.”

“You’re welcome, Buffy.” He pulled away and smiled at everyone else before turning.

But all of a sudden, he turned around, facing Spike. He’d sensed that something was different when he’d first walked in, but now he thought he knew what it was.

Taking a few steps forward, Angel looked into Spike’s eyes. “Hey, Peaches…if you’re trying to kiss me, I should probably let you know I’m not like that.”

Angel rolled his eyes and then focused on Spike again.

With slightly wide and confused eyes, Angel turned to face the blond slayer. “You didn’t tell me he had his soul.” Buffy’s and Spike’s eyes went wide also.

“What!?”