“No, you’ve got it all wrong,” Spike almost growled as he watched the army of teenage girls try to get into a fighting stance.
Sighing, the girls let their bodies fall back into a comfortable standing position. “Why isn’t Buffy training us today?” One with brown hair asked.
“She’s got some business to take care of with Red. Now…”
---

“Are you sure about this, Buffy?” Willow asked, her eyes wide.

“I’m positive.”

“It’s very risky…”

“I know. But all you have to do is perform the spell near the end of the big fight.”

“Buffy…if something goes wrong…”

“Nothing will go wrong. I promise.” Buffy gave her friend a reassuring smile.

“Where am I supposed to get the power to do that kind of spell? I just went to this place that helped me control my magic…and now you want me to do this?”

“It won’t harm you, Will. And it won’t hurt me.”

“That’s not the point…I’m powerful. But what you’re asking me to do…where do I get that kind of power?”

“You can do this…and Tara can help you. Together you guys will be more than powerful enough.” When Willow smiled and nodded her agreement, Buffy stood up with her own smile.

“There’s another spell I need you to perform around midnight tonight. When everyone’s asleep.”

Willow’s eyes went wide, but she listened as Buffy explained the second spell that would make the potentials real slayers.

---

“Okay, you guys. Rest up, get ready for the big day tomorrow,” Buffy commanded as the teens settled into their sleeping bags.

“I have a question. Why are we going into the hellmouth? Why are we starting the fight? Can’t we just wait for them to come to us?”

“No,” was the blond slayer’s answer. “We’re not waiting for them to come to us. That’s what gets people killed. If we go in tomorrow, they won’t be expecting us, they won’t be ready. We will.”

“We are not ready,” the potential argued back.

“You are. It’s that kind of attitude that will get you killed,” Buffy said with a strict tone. Backing off, the potential just shook her head and let her head fall back on the pillow.

“And where are you going?” Buffy took her hand off the knob of the front door and turned toward the voice.

“Hey Spike.”

“You didn’t answer my question.”

“I’m just going out.”

“Where?”

“What’s with all the questions?” She asked defensively.

“Why aren’t you answering them?” Spike smirked as Buffy’s resolve turned into a slight pout.

“Patrolling. Happy now?”

“No. It’s ten at night; you have a big battle tomorrow. Most vamps and demons have long skipped town by now. No need to patrol.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, opened the front door, and started walking out. She was only a foot outside when she was grabbed by the shoulders and pushed non-too-gently against the wall of the exterior of the house.

With wide eyes, the slayer looked over at Spike and was about to ask what the hell he was doing. Before she could get a word out, she felt herself even more pinned against the wall as his lips came crashing down on hers in an almost bruising kiss. Spike reached one hand over and pulled the front door closed so the potentials wouldn’t see from inside, never breaking the kiss.

Soon, the brutal kiss turned more soft and caring. Finally pulling back, Spike just looked at the bewildered blond.

“What was that for?”

“Because you look like you’re about to go out and do something stupid.”

“And kissing me was supposed to make me not go?” Her eyebrow rose.

“Well, seeing as how you’re still against the wall, and not gone…” He trailed off with a smirk as Buffy sighed.

“I need to go.”

“Are you coming back?”

“What kind of question is that? Of course I’m coming back,” she assured him.

“I meant…is this stupid thing you’re about to do going to get you killed?”

Sensing his distress, Buffy let out a small sigh and quickly gave him another soft kiss. “No. I’m coming back. There’s something I need to do.”

Breaking free from his grasp, the slayer started off the porch. When she was halfway down the sidewalk, she turned to see that Spike was still facing where she had been standing, shoulders slumped.

Sighing for the millionth time, the slayer set out to do her job.

---

“Let her go, Caleb,” the First/Buffy commanded.

Buffy stood on the other side of the room, holding the scythe. Caleb was seething mad, and didn’t look like he wanted to back down. “I said let her go,” the First repeated more firmly.

Before Caleb had a chance to do anything, Buffy fled, running up the stairs and out of the vineyard.

The slayer hadn’t slowed her pace down until she realized she was plenty safe. Sighing, she was about to revel in her victory when she felt herself being tackled to the ground, making her drop the scythe.

Landing on her front side, she let out a small cry of pain. Buffy had tried getting up but found it pointless since her attacker was sitting on her back, pinning her down.

“You. Are. One. Bloody. Stupid. Chit,” Spike ground out slowly, making Buffy sigh in relief that it wasn’t someone else.

“God, Spike. What’s your problem?” She tried getting up, but he just held her tighter. “Ow!”

“I’m not hurting you,” he said with a roll of his eyes. “My problem is you. You said you weren’t doing anything stupid.”

“No. I said that I was coming back. Not that I wasn’t doing something stupid.”

“Slayer…” He started in a warning tone. “You went to fight Caleb. Alone. All to get that stupid shiney weapon!”

“Hey,” Buffy shouted in her own defense. Before she could say anything else, Spike got off of her and she was being pulled off the ground. She expected him to let her go, but he just held both of her upper arms tightly, so she was facing him. “And for your information, that scythe is really important in this battle!”

“How do you know? Is that something you learned while seeing the future?”

“Yes!”

Suddenly, Spike’s look of anger changed before her eyes to vulnerability. His grip on her arms loosened until he finally let go and backed away.

“Spike?”

“I need you to talk to me Buffy.” She cringed inwardly at how broken his voice sounded. “You know how to win this battle…you know what’s going to happen. But you’re not letting anyone in. You won’t tell me what’s supposed to happen…and I know you’re hiding something.”

“Spike…”

“No. You’re willing to let yourself get killed in this war, and I’m not willing to lose you!”

When she saw the single tear slip from his eye, Buffy’s eyes went wide. Not hesitating, the slayer took a few steps forward and put her arms around him. He didn’t waste a second before hugging her back to him. “Buffy…”

“I won’t die, Spike. I won’t die. We’re going to get through this. Both of us, alive. Trust me, okay?”

Spike just nodded slightly and she smiled as she rested her head on his chest, hugging him tighter. “I love you, Buffy.”

She moved her head back slightly to look at him. “I love you too.”

[i]Oh God…

What if I really don’t make it?[/i]