And With This Power

Chapter Eight: No Matter How I Try


Buffy’s eyes fluttered open and slowly adjusted to the dimly lit room. She was in her own bed, safely tucked in. But the blinds were closed and the curtains pulled shut tight so that no direct sunlight filled the room. She could tell that it must have been early morning though.

The last thing she remembered was admitting her love for Spike…and then black. She’d passed out.

Spike had carried her home, receiving hell from Xander.

Xander kept throwing accusations that Spike must’ve done something to her.

Surprisingly, Spike just glared hatefully, but didn’t reply to the allegations. He was still stunned by what Buffy had told him. ‘I love you, too.’

He figured it was the dizziness talking. But he’d be damned if he was going to mess up his chances by getting in even worse with her friends. So, he ignored the threats from Xander’s mouth and carried Buffy up to her room, closed the blinds, and silently left.

Buffy continued to stare out the window, wondering if Spike had believed her last night.

She’d kick his ass if he didn’t.

She was torn from her thoughts as a very meek Jonathon and Andrew came through the door, looking at the ground.

“Buffy, we, um---” Jonathon started, but looked away.

“We’re sorry for summoning that demon, cos now you’re hurt,” Andrew finished, looking a little sad.

Buffy had been tensed, but she forced herself to relax. Still, she didn’t speak.

Jonathon brought a mug from behind his back. “So we want to make it up to you.” He gave the mug to Buffy, and she cringed at the contents. It looked like old blood.

“You guys---this is---sweet, but I’m not a vampire,” she pointed out.

“No, it’s not blood,” Andrew corrected her. “Spike went out last night and killed that demon. The one that is making you have those visions of being in another realm---which is kind of like an episode of---”

“So this is the antidote?” Buffy interrupted, clearly annoyed about his short attention span.

“Yep, straight from his claw,” Jonathon informed her.

Buffy rolled her eyes good-naturedly and gave a small nod. “Thanks you guys,” she said softly.

“So---does this mean you still love us?” Andrew asked hopefully.

“Not even close,” Buffy said with a smile still on her lips. Both boys shared her smile and began to walk out of the room. “Guys?” She called and they both turned around. “I’ll love anyone who gets me some hot chocolate.” This said, both of the young men raced down the steps. Sighing, Buffy rested her head back on her pillow and drank the antidote.

“Ugh,” Buffy complained as soon as it was all down. “I swear if I ever have to drink that again---I’ll settle with killing my friends,” she joked with herself.

“So, we still have that problem of talking to ourselves, now do we?” Spike asked, standing from the doorway.

“How long have you been there?” She asked, running her fingers through her hair, cursing herself for having tangled, morning hair.

Sensing her distress, Spike chuckled a little before sitting in the chair next to her bed. “You look fine, pet,” he assured her. “And I was standing outside your door when those two dorks were in here,” he told her.

“Oh, why didn’t you come in?” She asked, a little puzzled. That was at least ten minutes ago.

“Saw you in here drinking up the cure,” he said quietly then sighed. “And I was deciding whether or not I should beat the two downstairs so I could get you that hot chocolate,” he said with a small smirk. She rolled her eyes and sipped some of the water that was on her nightstand.

“You don’t have to get me cocoa,” she assured him. “I love you anyway.”

She said it so simply, as if she did it everyday. Spike’s expression was frozen in astonishment that she’d actually say it again. Realization hit him and he shook his head.

“Look, Slayer, Buffy. I know you’re not yourself just yet. Still a bit out of it due to the mauling you received last night. What you said last night? I understand that it was just--- a glitch.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and gave him a deadly glare. “I’m gonna kick your ass,” she told him flatly.

“Excuse me?”

“I told myself that if you denied it, I was going to kick your-”

“Okay, I get your point.” Slowly, it sunk in. Everything she had said was settling. “So you really? I mean. Not that I. But, it’s just. You?”

“Me,” she affirmed and smiled. “Me loves you.”

Slowly, a smile appeared on his face as he gradually removed himself from the chair to sit on the bedside.

“Buffy…” Before he could finish, he felt Buffy’s fist make contact with his cheek. “Bloody hell! Slayer, what was that!?” He asked, standing up.

With a smug smile she shrugged. “Me kicking your ass,” she replied wryly. Slowly, his hand stopped holding his hurt cheek and lowered to his side. Taking his place back on the bed, he narrowed his eyes, making her smile even more.

“Yes, well next time you intend to kick my-” She shut him up with three little words.

“I love you,” she said gently. She knew it would keep him quiet, because she knew how much it affected him. Looking satisfied she sighed. “Look at that. I have found a way to make Spike speechless. Hey, now whenever I need you to shut up I can just-” She was interrupted by Spike pressing his lips against hers.

Immediately responding, she deepened the kiss. Putting her arms around his neck, she pulled him closer as his arms found their place around her waist. Having to pull away for breath, Buffy let her forehead rest against his.

“And whenever I need you to shut up I can just…” He trailed off, the same smug smile on his lips. Rolling her eyes, Buffy gave him another quick kiss on his cheek as she leaned back against the headboard. After a minute, Spike leaned forward again.

“What’s wrong?” Buffy asked, seeing his expression.

“You said that when you got to see the future, I had a soul,” Spike started. “Is the soul what made you love me?” His tone was soft, as if he already knew the answer.

“No.” His head shot up to meet her gaze. “Spike, you’re the gray in my world of black and white,” she told him simply. “I always saw things simply. Soul equals good; no soul equals evil. But you proved that theory wrong. Even after you had the soul, you were still the man I knew you could be.” She paused and closed her eyes, trying to put it into words. “You’re not the Big Bad anymore, Spike. Anyone could easily see your soul.”

Her words left him speechless and he just continued to stare at her, a look of astonishment frozen on his features.

[Later, Xander’s Apartment]

“And Spike should be paired with Buffy to walk down the aisle,” Anya told Xander as they were going over wedding arrangements.

“Ahn, I agreed to letting Spike come to the wedding. He is not going to be in it, and certainly not paired with Buffy,” Xander said, losing his patience.

“Why not?” She whined. “The connection between them has become more than obvious since Buffy’s return. In fact, I think Buffy would find it most pleasant if-”

“Anya. Why don’t we put away the wedding plans for now, okay?” Anya’s smile returned and she closed her notebook. “We’re supposed to meet Giles and the others at the shop anyways.”

[Willow and Tara’s room]

“Morning, Sweetie,” Willow said as Tara entered the room.

Tara didn’t reply, except with a short smile. “Tara?” Willow asked, a little concerned.

“You’re still doing it, Willow,” Tara said firmly. “The spells for the simple things. You said you wouldn’t use so much.”

“It’s just- well, I-”

“No. It’s too much.” Tara sat down on the edge of the bed. “This may not work anymore,” she said sadly.

“Are you…are you saying you’re gonna leave me?” Willow asked, tears already pooling in her eyes.

“I don’t know…you have to try harder…or I’ll have to…” Both sat in silence, trying their hardest not to cry.

[Later, Xander’s apartment]

“Giles, what’re you saying?” Buffy asked, sitting down in the chair, Spike standing next to her. Willow and Tara were both standing near the shelves, talking about something else. Anya was counting her money behind the counter, Dawn doing her schoolwork, and Giles standing next to Buffy also. Xander however was trying to escape the insanity of this meeting as he wandered aimlessly through the aisles.

“I’m saying that I think something might be coming. Demon activity has slowed, because they all seem to be leaving town. We just need to keep an eye on things.”

Behind the shelves, Xander was acting like he was going through things, while he was really listening to Tara and Willow’s conversation.

“I promise, I’ll use less. Just don’t leave,” Willow whispered sadly.

“One week, Willow. Just one without magic, and I’ll think about staying.” Xander thought about their problems…then about his and Anya’s.

And now some new evil was in town.

Xander’s gaze fell on a necklace..

Bring singing and dancing to the town? Picking up the necklace he thought about it. That’s what they all needed- something to relax them through everything that was happening. Putting the necklace in his pocket, he walked back to the table.

Outside, a young girl stood, looking very angry. Slowly turning, she began to walk away from the Magic Box. Suddenly, the girl morphed into Jenny Calendar. “This’ll be too easy,” The First/Jenny said in a seething tone and continued walking.