When Buffy had gotten inside the door the night before, she was too drunk to think to look for Angel, Darla or her father. Luckily, none of them were there. Hank, Angel, and Darla had gone out late in Angel’s car the night before.

When Buffy woke up, she almost cried out at the headache she was having. She’d gotten up to throw up a few times in the past hour, so she figured it was out of her system.

To get rid of her headache, Buffy went to her bathroom and opened the medicine cabinet.

And it was empty.

That’s when she remembered that Spike had taken all her medicine. “Damn,” she muttered and went to her room.

Even though her head was pounding, Buffy managed to get ready. The odd thing was that she wasn’t dressed in her usual sweatshirt and jeans. Today she had on a pair of nice jeans, a white clingy shirt, the black jacket Faith had let her borrow, and a pair of her black boots.

She let her hair down, the natural waves falling over her shoulders and framing her face.

For once in a long time, she was happy with the way she looked when she left he house.

And for the first time, she left the house without a confrontation from her dad, uncle, or aunt.

Today was good.

“BEEP!”

Ow…except for her raging headache.

Buffy walked toward the car near the road that had just honked. “Morning,” Spike said as she climbed in.

“Yeah. Same to you.”

“Someone’s not in a good mood,” he replied with a smirk.

“Yeah, well, someone just spent the entire of last night drinking into oblivion,” she reminded him.

“Speaking of which…” He fumbled around in his book bag, coming up with bottled water and two aspirin. “Thought you might appreciate it.”

Gratefully, Buffy took the medicine, feeling her headache calming a little bit. “Thanks.”

“Want to talk about last night?” He asked as they approached the school.

“Not really.”

“Buffy…”

“Look. I can make my own decisions, okay?” When the car parked, she undid the seatbelt, but Spike leaned across her and held the door handle.

“Buffy?”

She just looked at him, feeling like she couldn’t breathe because he was so close. “Yes?”

He just looked at her for a second. “You look really nice today, luv,” he replied with that familiar smirk. He then got out of the car and started walking toward the school without another word.

Buffy let out the breath she’d been holding and watched his retreating form. “No, my life isn’t complicated,” she mumbled to herself before exiting the car.

Catching up with Spike, neither acknowledged what happened in the car. But the silence wasn’t uncomfortable either.

“Hey, B!” Buffy turned toward Faith’s voice and smiled.

As Faith began to approach, Spike turned to Buffy. “I’m not sure I like you hanging out with her…Buffy…her and her friends, they…”

“Do illegal crap and have the time of their lives? I know.”

“That’s not what I was going to say.” He sounded frustrated, so Buffy didn’t interrupt. “She’s the reason you were drinking last night.”

“No, actually, she tried to stop me. It was my choice. Don’t blame her.”

Faith finally got to them and smiled at Buffy. “So, B, how’s that head of yours.”

“Better,” she replied. When Spike waved to her and started walking off, she gave him a smile and waved also.

“Good to know. You really can’t hold your alcohol, Princess,” Faith sneered playfully.

“Hey, it was my first time drinking.” Faith raised an eyebrow and smiled again.

When Kat, Taylor and Micha all pulled up in Kat’s car, Faith sighed. “I’ll talk to ya later, B. Maybe we can Bronze it again soon.” She started walking away, but then turned to face the blond teen. “Oh, and Buffy? Keep the jacket. Looks better on you anyway.”

Buffy smiled and nodded a thanks as she went into the school.

---Just a few minutes later---

“Buffy, how are you?”

“Good, Giles. You?”

“I’m fine. There’s something we need to talk about…”

Buffy froze. If she got suspended, her uncle would use that as ammo against her. “Oh…”

“Calm down, Ms. Summers. I managed to cut you some slack with the principal. Because of what happened with Logan in Las Angeles, there won’t be a suspension. It’s a warning. That’s all.”

“Hold up. I screwed a kid’s face up and almost knocked out a teacher…and I get a warning?” Giles nodded with a slight smile at her wording. “Ah! I love you!” She enveloped the older man in a hug before running out and to her next class.

---Biology, a few hours later---

“Honors system,” the teacher replied after handing out the tests. He had to leave for a few minutes and expected his students not to cheat.

Not less than ten seconds of him being out the door, a note was flicked onto Buffy’s desk. Slowly, she opened it.

Buffy,
How’re things going with your uncle? Anything I should know about?

-Spike
P.S. What’s the answer to number 3?

Buffy smiled and wrote him back and threw it back at him as she got back to work on her test.

Hey,
Not any better…but not any worse. I can’t really tell. I haven’t talked to him since yesterday, really. And…he won’t do anything when my dad is there. BTW, Hank’s leaving this afternoon. Before I get home I think. So, hope Angel’s in a good mood.

-Buffy
P.S. You’re smarter than I am!…but, um, now that you mention it…what is the answer?

When Spike read it, he smirked a little and tossed the note back when he was done.

If that git tries anything, Buffy…we’re going to have to let people know. You don’t deserve this. (I think it might be…C.?)

Buffy quickly replied, not liking where the conversation was going.

I deserve it more than you may think. Don’t worry, though. He can’t hurt me too much. (Hmmm…C…sounds right. Thanks.)

Spike wrote quickly, hoping to finish this discussion before the teacher got back.

And when are you going to tell me about the mysterious LA incidents that left you thinking you deserve to be hit?

When he got his answer back, he smiled softly in her direction.

Soon enough…when I’m ready.

They both began working on their tests when Faith came to the classroom window and opened it. “Hey, B.”

“Faith?”

“Yep. Hey, Blondie,” she waved in Spike’s direction. Spike waved, but still glared in her direction.

“So, Princess, Kat and the others want to know if you wanna go have some fun?”

“You mean as in skipping?” Willow asked timidly from the seat behind Buffy.

“Yeah, as in skipping,” Faith replied with the roll of her eyes. “You in?”

Buffy looked over in Spike’s direction. His pissed off look told her she had better not go.

“Yeah, I’m in,” she answered, getting up from her seat before Spike could protest.

“Sweet,” was Faith’s reply as Buffy climbed from the window and the ran toward the parking lot.

With four hours left before they were supposed to be home, they had plenty of time.

A/N: Okay. Now, the next chapter is going to be mostly Faith and Buffy’s day out. But, it’s going to be sort of dark, and a more weak and stupid side of Buffy is going to show through. So, just warning you.