A/N: I will update my other stories today as well, no worries!! Well, read on…oh, and review. Or I’ll kick your butt. :P lol. Just remember that I live on reviews. If you don’t feed them to me…I’ll die. And then this story will never get finished. So, review please!


Red lights flashed throughout the dark city street as the ambulance made its way to the Sunnydale Hospital, carrying the young woman patient.

When she was finally wheeled into the emergency room, doctors rushed around, trying to find out what was wrong.

“Name?” One doctor asked a physician who had brought her in.

“Buffy Summers,” he replied as the said unconscious girl was pushed into a room.

---Flashback, a few hours ago---

“Hey, Scott,” Buffy said shyly, walking up to the ally behind Willy’s. “I-I’m not sure what I’m doing here…”

“Sure you are. You’re in pain. You want it to stop, right?”

Buffy’s eyes glazed over with sadness. “More than you know.”

“Come on.”

Scott led her inside, setting her down in a chair. After she’d been injected, she’d seemed okay for a few minutes.

But soon, she’d began to clutch at her head, complaining about the pain, her breathing was getting short, and was also getting dizzy.

Willy had come back and had no choice but to call the police when Buffy went unconscious.

---End of flashback---

---Hospital, five hours later---

Buffy sat in her hospital room, barely able to hold herself up. As she sat emotionless, propped against her pillows, a nurse came into the room.

“Ms. Summers?”

Buffy simply looked up, not saying anything. “Do you remember much?”

Buffy remembered going to Scott…but not much after that. Shaking her head ‘no’, Buffy looked down again.

“You were found with a large dose of cocaine in your system, Ms. Summers. We believe that you’re going to be okay, but there’s always risks of…” Buffy didn’t even continue to listen as the nurse babbled on and on. Finally, Buffy looked back up. “It’s getting close to 3 in the morning, Buffy. Is there a guardian we could call?”

There was no way in hell she would give them the names of her aunt and uncle. She wanted Spike and Giles to be there. But they would see the new bruises from her uncle, and she couldn’t have that.

“F-faith,” Buffy answered shakily. “Faith Sheldon.”

“Is that a friend of yours?” Buffy nodded. “Miss, we need the name of a guardian…”

“Bring her, or get the hell out.” The nurse was a little shocked, but nodded. Buffy felt bad for snapping at the woman who was only doing her job. “Hey, get her here…I’ll give you the names you need after I see her, okay?” The nurse seemed happier, so she left the room to call Faith.

---An hour or so later---

Faith cautiously walked into the hospital room, seeing Buffy asleep on the hospital bed. She held her breath as she made her way to the small blond.

“Faith?” Buffy asked as she opened her eyes.

“Oh, God…I’m so sorry, B--Buffy…I’m so sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“I’m the one who took you there. Damn it, Buffy, I told you to stay the hell away from that stuff.”

“Faith…” Buffy seemed to be a little distressed, but the other teen didn’t notice.

“I mean it, B-”

“No. Faith, I…” The steady beeping on the monitor became frantic as Buffy’s eyes rolled shut.

---Sunnydale High---

The bell for first period was ringing as Faith sat on the floor against the wall with her knees pulled to her chest. She was shaking and had tears in her eyes, but no one saw because they were in their classes.

The doctors had assured Faith that they would get Buffy stabilized, and that the best thing to do would be to go to school, and come back later.


As Spike walked down the hallway, he saw the familiar brunette crying up ahead. He’d been looking for her anyway. When Spike had gone to pick up Buffy that morning, she hadn’t been there.

“Faith?” She looked up at him, but didn’t say anything. Spike knelt down in front of her. “What’s wrong, luv?”

“Sh-she’s…oh, God…it’s my fault, Spike…”

“Buffy?”

Faith nodded her head and worry spread throughout Spike. “What’s wrong with her?”

“She…I don’t even know. All the doctors told me that she had gotten into illegal drugs at Willy’s bar…She wouldn’t have gone if I hadn’t taken her there…”

Spike felt like screaming, but he knew Faith felt bad enough. “Is she okay?”

“She went unconscious…and then they made me leave. God, Spike…she was just laying there. I made her like that…”

Faith seemed so broken that Spike pulled her into a comforting hug. “I can’t ever be like that…I…I don’t wanna die, Spike…”

“Then you’re going to have to get help, okay?” She just looked down, but nodded slightly. “Come on, let’s go see her.”

---Hospital, short time later---

“I wanna see her,” Spike said calmly for the third time.

“And I told you, no visitors until she gives us the names of her guardians. They need to come in and sign some paperwork.”

That was when Giles stepped in. His son had called him just as they arrived at the hospital. Rupert hated to do this…but he knew he had to. “I’ll give you the names you need along with the correct phone numbers if you let my son in to see him.”

The doctor reluctantly agreed as Spike rushed past him toward Buffy’s room.

When he got to the room, Buffy was laying down with her head propped up somewhat. There was no emotion on her face, and she looked mostly dead.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Spike walked over beside her and took one of her hands. “Hey.”

Buffy didn’t even move for a few moments, but finally, she turned her head to look up at him, still not saying anything.

“How’re you doing, luv?”

Buffy blinked a few times and her grip on Spike’s hand tightened as tears threatened to fall. “It hurts so much…”

Spike cringed and sat down in the chair next to the bed, still holding her hand. He felt his eyes watering up, and kept wondering why he was getting so worked up over a girl he’d only met a week or so before.

Just because she was a friend. Not because he was attracted to her in any other way. Of course not…

“Why’d you do it, Buffy?”

“To make it stop.”

“To make what stop?”

“The hurting, the memories, the stupid freaking bruises on my arms!”

Spike looked down and saw the new bruises on her lower and upper arms and felt a wave of anger wash over him. And then he noticed for the first time, the large bruise on her jaw. Swallowing his anger, he calmed down. She needed comfort now.


“Buffy…I want to help, but I don’t even understand what’s wrong.”

She didn’t say anything for a full five minutes and it was starting to scare him. Finally, she took a deep breath and began to talk. “It was two months ago,” she started, not looking at him. “Mom was driving us home from the store. Dawnie, my little sister sat in the back seat and I was sitting up front. It was getting pretty dark so I looked at the car clock and I still remember that it said 7:04. Mom stopped the car on the side of the road and asked me if I wanted to drive the rest of the way home. I had driven before, but not very much. Still, I was really excited, so I switched places with my mom.

“It was getting sort of dark, but mom didn’t seem to care. So I was driving down the road, and mom kept telling me how good I was doing.” Buffy paused and swallowed the large lump in her throat. “Logan and his friends were driving drunk down the road. I saw them ahead, but they were on their side of the road, so I kept driving. Then…right as they were about to pass us, Logan got a bit dizzy and plowed into the front end of our car. Dawn hadn’t been wearing her seatbelt and the impact was just to much for mom.”

Spike stared at her, concern, shock, and anger evident on his face. “Buffy…I…”

“Ya know what makes my heart hurt even more? Mom and Dawnie were all broken and you could hardly recognize them…I walked away with a few bruises. It’s not fair…”

Spike stood from the chair and quickly wrapped his arms around her as her tears started to fall. “Why wasn’t it me instead of them?” She sobbed as she clung tightly to his shirt.

He pulled her back slightly so that she could look at him. “Buffy, the accident was not your fault. You don’t deserve to be punished, okay?” Buffy only shook her head violently.

“No! The crash happened less than a block from my house, Spike! If Mom hadn’t stopped to let me drive, we would’ve made it home before we caught up with those guys! O-or if I had just driven a bit faster instead of 5 miles below the speed limit!” She was crying again as Spike put his arms back around her.

“Buffy?” A familiar female voice said from the doorway. When Spike and Buffy turned, they saw Darla standing there with wide eyes.

She’d obviously heard the whole thing.

But what caught Buffy’s eye was the fact that Darla was near tears. Before Buffy could ask what was wrong, Darla turned from the room and hurriedly went out into the hallway.

“Do you want to talk to her?” Spike asked, and to her own surprise Buffy nodded.

As Spike was walking out the door, her voice stopped him. “Spike?” She paused for a second, trying to build up her courage. “I think I might really like you,” she said with a smile.

Spike turned completely and walked toward her. When he reached her side, he leaned down and gave her a soft kiss, lasting only a few moments. “I think I might really like you too, Summers,” he replied with a hint of a smirk before turning to go get Darla.