"Buffy where have you been all night? I was worried about you." her mother said as Buffy got home late the next morning.

"You were worried, why? It's not like I come home every night."

"Riley called last night, looking for you. He said you two had a fight. I was just worried when you didn't come home. And now you're limping."

"It's nothing, I'm okay. I was really mad at Riley so I went out patrolling, ran into Spike, and spent the night at his place. Which is why I'd really like to take a shower now and get some real sleep."

"Of course dear, but you might want to give Riley a call, he was very worried about you. I got the impression that he was calling everyone to look for you."

"I don't really want to talk to Riley right now. Could you maybe call Giles for me. No point in worrying everyone."

"Sure thing honey, but if you and Riley are fighting, the sooner you talk to him the better," her mother said. Buffy winced as she started up the stairs. "Are you sure you're all right?"

"I'm fine Mom, just a little sore." That seemed to satisfy her mom.

Actually, she was a lot sore, but she didn't want to worry her mom. It's not like she'd been fighting or anything last night. Well, except for the lava monster.

When she got to the bathroom, Buffy decided that maybe a bath was a better idea. Nothing better for sore muscles, especially ones she didn't know she'd had until last night, then a nice hot bath with lots of bubbles.

Hopefully that would also relax her enough to shut out the guilty and confusing thoughts floating through her head.

She couldn't help but feel bad about sneaking out of Spike's crypt before he'd woken up, but she'd been really tired, and had wanted a shower and her own bed. She could vividly remember the times she had woken up to find the man she'd spent the night with missing. It wasn't a fun experience. It was in fact, one of the things she loved most about Riley. He was always there. Every time they slept together she either woke up next to him or found him in the room doing his morning calisthenics. She never had to worry that he'd turned evil on her.

Not that that was a concern with Spike. He was already evil. Even so, she figured, why give him the chance to throw her out? Laugh in her face the way he had done when he'd seen Parker break up with her.

Not that it mattered to her if he did. It was just that kind of scene was too much of a hassle. It's not like she was looking for a relationship with Spike anyway.

Slowly she got into the tub. As careful as she was, it still stung when she sat down. Crap! Evil vampire, how long would it be until she could sit down again? Not that she hadn't asked for it, literally.

The hot water rushing over her sex and thoughts of Spike combined to make her moan.

What's wrong with me? Buffy wondered. All that sex I had last night and I want more? Maybe I shouldn't have snuck out. If I'd stayed and woken Spike up, maybe we'd be having sex right now.

Absently her hand sank under the water and between her legs, as she began to rub herself. Memories of the night before flitted through her head. Spike inside her, Spike on top of her, Spike beneath her, Spike's head between her legs, Spike's cock in her mouth, Spike-

KNOCK! KNOCK!

"Buffy, it's Riley. I'm so sorry. . . I need to talk to you. . . Can I come in?"

Crap, thought Buffy, but I guess mom's right. The sooner we talk the better.

"Come in Riley."

"Buffy," he started, as he opened the door. Then he saw her. "My god Buffy, what happened to you?"

For a moment she was confused, then she remembered all the marks Spike had left on her body.

"Spike." she said simply.

"The chip stopped working? You staked him right?"

"What? No. The chip works, it just turns out he can hurt you if he's not trying to hurt you." Riley looked at her with a blank expression on his face. Buffy sighed and said matter of factly, "I'm sorry about what I have to tell you Riley, but I love you and you deserve to know. I slept with Spike last night." His eyes went wide. "It's not anything I meant to happen. I wasn't looking for him or anything, I just ran into him when I was patrolling, you know to work off some anger. Anyway, somehow one thing lead to another. I thought you should know."

Riley just stood there unable to process what she'd just said.

"What? . . How? . . " Finally he got his thoughts together. She could see he was angry, and waited for the yelling to begin. Instead he just stood there looking at her as if she'd grown a third eye in the middle of her forehead.

Eventually he spoke as if he wasn't really there, "Buffy, I don't think you're well. You should probably rest. I'm going to call Giles. That demon, it's spit. It must attract people to demons. That's why. . . You would never. . . I have to go."

He got up and left the bathroom.

Buffy sighed. That hadn't gone as well as she hoped. She and Riley still had all sorts of relationship issues to discuss. She didn't follow his rambling about demon spit. She didn't think the lava monster had been interested in sex. But there was nothing she could do about Riley right now, so she went back to thinking about Spike.

************************

It was the conflict of his senses that woke him. He could smell her, but when he tried to reach for her she wasn't there. Still the bed smelled of her. The sheets were even still a little warm from where she had been sleeping.

Slowly he opened his eyes, shifting to his game face so that he could see more clearly in the dark lower level of the crypt. Looking around he could clearly see that she had gathered up her clothes and left.

Suddenly he felt very cold.

He shifted so that his head lay where she had slept and he breathed deeply of her scent. His hands reached beneath the covers and he began to stroke himself.

He could feel it all crumbling around him. His evil scheme had turned on him. She had been so vibrant, so alive, that for the first time since the government put the chip in his head he felt alive too.

She had been amazing. Completely unskillful, but so eager, so desperate to learn the limits of her body as if it were brand new, and so delighted by every new discovery.

And what a body it was. Spike had always had an appreciation of Slayer's strength, having fought three, but he had never so directly tested it. At one point she had decided to take over, straddled him, and held down his arms, challenging him to get up. He'd used every bit of strength he had and hadn't been able to lift his arms up off the bed. It had only made him want her more, made it all the sweeter when he had held her exhausted form in his arms.

Suddenly he heard the door to his crypt swing open and a familiar thump thump as someone walked overhead. Riley.

Spike had no illusions of what might have brought Riley to see him. Somehow soldier boy had found out about him and Buffy, and Spike was sure Riley had brought a stake.

Luckily he had simply dropped his clothes at the foot of the bed when he had undressed for Buffy last night, so it was easy to scoop them all up and run for the sewers before Riley found him.

Spike might not be able to fight Riley, but he was a vampire, and was easily able to put enough distance between them for him to stop and get dressed. It was humiliating to have to run from a mere human like Riley, but Spike had no way of fighting Riley and no intention of being dusted by him.

Knowing he couldn't return to his crypt, Spike made his way to one of the lesser known demon bars, one he was sure Riley didn't know about, since he figured that Willie's was the next place Riley would look for him.

At this time of day, he was the only vampire in the establishment, which meant he drew a few looks as he sauntered in. He bought an entire bottle of whiskey. Maybe if he got drunk enough, he could forget not only that he'd ever shagged the Slayer but that she might just have been the best fuck of his life.

He settled in a booth near the back, grateful that none of the breeds of demon present hunted by smell since he was still covered in Slayer.

He'd had a couple shots, when he heard the word Slayer come from across the room. Suddenly he was alert, listening to what the two Harf-zdan demons were talking about.

"I know it's tacky to attack in broad daylight, but if we wait until tonight, every vampire in Sunnydale will be after the Slayer. If we want a chance at her we have to do this now," said the smaller of the two.

"You're sure about this? So some leech claims he saw her fighting a Charoite demon. We're talking about the Slayer. Doesn't mean the Charoite managed to infect her," the other one said.

Charoite demon, thought Spike, so that was what was up with Buffy last night. It all made perfect sense now. Not just the sex either, but why she had obviously not kept it a secret from Captain Cardboard.

Spike was up out of his seat. First he walked by the table where the two Harf-zdans were sitting as if they just happened to be on his way to somewhere. As he passed them, he grabbed the nearest one by the head and snapped it's neck before it even knew what had happened.

The other one tried to leap over the table to grab Spike, but he ducked out of the way, grabbing a half empty bottle off their table and smashing it down on the remaining demons head before it could regain it's footing. The demon went down hard. Just for good measure Spike snapped it's neck too. He was disappointed at how easily they had gone down. Maybe he shouldn't have bothered. Even in her present condition the Slayer probably could have dealt with them.

Still now he figured he had until sunset before Buffy was in any real danger. Which gave him plenty of time to find the Charoite's mate, and get some of its spit so that Red could work her magic.

He realized that the other patrons of the bar were staring at him.

"No one kills the Slayer but me," he said matter of factly, and that seemed to satisfy the other patrons. He walked up to the bartender, threw the last of his cash down on the bar and asked, "Heard anything about where a couple of Charoites might be staying?"