Chapter 11: Prophecy Girl (Part 1 of 3)

"Three in one night. Giles would be so proud," Buffy said as she brushed vampire dust off of herself. "Crap, I broke a nail."

"Let's hope that's all you ever break, Slayer," Spike said.

"You know, you could actually help instead of just standing there watching me."

She was just teasing him. He'd given her the lecture many times on how it was important she knew that she could handle things herself. Most nights Spike wouldn't even come on patrol with her, claiming that if he was there she would expect him to jump in at the last moment and save her.

"I like watching," he said, looking her over in a way she would have found highly inappropriate if it had come from anyone else.

"Well, I think I've done my sacred duty for tonight, and it seems a shame to let a perfectly good lover's lane go to waste."

She walked over to him and pulled him into a kiss. He pretended to resist for a moment, then his arms snaked around her and he held her tightly against him. She began to lose herself in the kiss. As his tongue explored her mouth, she suddenly felt as if the whole world was shaking.

He broke off from her suddenly, a look of fear in his eyes as he clutched her tightly.

"And here I thought that whole earth moving thing was just a metaphor," Buffy said as car alarms went off all around them.

*******************

The Master stood with his arms spread above him as the earth shook.

"Yes! YES! Shake, Earth! This is a sign! We are in the final days! My time has come! Glory! GLORY!" he cried out.

The earthquake ended as quickly as it had started. The Master looked over at Collin, the young vampire boy who was the Anointed One.

"Whadaya think? 5.1?" the Master asked him.

*******************

Buffy opened her gym locker and began to change into her training sweats. On the bright side, training meant more time with Spike. If she was lucky she could corner him away from Giles and find a way to ask him to the Spring Fling. She had meant to do it last night, but the earthquake had shattered the mood.

Buffy had shrugged it off. She'd been raised in California, and it was hardly her first, or the biggest earthquake she'd been in. But, she figured, they must not have them in England. The earthquake had given Spike a major wiggins.

Giles seemed to suffer from the same thing. When she'd checked in with him that morning, he seemed distracted. He didn't even seem to care about the mess Mother Nature had made of the library.

Still, she had more important things to worry about than Giles. Like how to ask Spike to the dance. And whether her friendship with Xander was going to be okay.

Earlier in the day he had asked her to the same dance. She'd turned him down, and had tried to be as nice about it as possible. Still she had been able to see the hurt in his eyes. Rejection was never easy. Although she felt badly about hurting Xander, she knew it was better for him to understand that she just didn't feel that way about him than to let him think that there was a chance.

She also felt bad for Willow. She knew her best friend had a huge crush on Xander, and now she felt guilty for not realizing that Xander was attracted to her. Maybe if she'd noticed sooner, she could have explained her feelings to Xander sooner and he would have noticed Willow.

She shut her locker door, and played with the stake in her hand. She set it down on one of the sinks, turned on the water, and looked in the mirror, wondering how life could be so complicated.

She looked down and saw blood pouring out of the faucet instead of water. 'Eeww,' she thought. 'Can't a girl wash her hands without the Hellmouth busting in.'

She instantly ran to the library. As she opened the doors to the library she said to herself, "Giles, you are not gonna believe this."

Then she stopped, realizing Giles was in his office talking to someone.

"It's clear. It's what's gonna happen. Uh, it's happening now!" Giles said, clearly upset.

Spike moved into her view and pointed to a book.

"I know what it says. It's why I'm bloody here," Spike told the Watcher.

"Spike?" Buffy said to herself.

Spike continued. "Look, Watcher, Buffy's good. Real good. She'll come through okay; we just have to trust her."

"Listen. Some prophecies are, are a bit dodgy. They're, they're mutable. Buffy herself has, has thwarted them time and time again, but this is the Codex. There is nothing in it that does not come to pass." Giles insisted, emphasizing his point with vigorous finger pointing.

"I've heard the whole thing from Malcolm, and you know what? I don't believe your prophecies. You're wrong."

"I wish to God I were! But it's very plain! Tomorrow night Buffy will face the Master, and she will die," Giles said angrily.

For a moment Buffy was stunned. She couldn't believe what they were talking about. Then she began to laugh. The two Englishmen suddenly became aware of her presence and looked at each other. Buff started to walk slowly away from the office, gasping for breath. When she got to the table she turned to face them. Tears glittered in her eyes.

"So that's it, huh? I remember the drill. One Slayer dies, next one's called! Wonder who she is?" she asked with an edge of anger in her voice. "Will you train her? Or will they send someone else?" Buffy asked her Watcher.

"Buffy, I. . ." Giles started but he couldn't find the words.

"They say how he's gonna kill me? Do you think it'll hurt?" she asked. Her voice was choked with fear. A tear rolled down her cheek.

Spike tried to hug her but she stepped away.

"Don't touch me!" she yelled at him. "You knew. This whole time you knew. Were you even gonna tell me? Either of you?" she asked, hurt.

"I was hoping that I wouldn't have to," Giles explained. "That there was. . . some way around it. I. . ."

"I've got a way around it. I quit!" Buffy said defiantly.

"It's not that simple, pet." Spike said.

She wanted to hit him. He hadn't called her pet since their first training session together. It had always been Slayer. Now that she was being asked to die suddenly she was pet again?

"I'm making it that simple! I quit! I resign, I-I'm fired, you can find someone else to stop the Master from taking over! That's what you came to do, isn't it, Spike? So go do it. I'm tired of fighting all the battles."

"I'm not sure that anyone else can," Giles said sadly. "All the. . . the signs indicate. . ."

"The signs?" She threw a book at him. "READ ME THE SIGNS!" She threw another one. "TELL ME MY FORTUNE! YOU'RE SO USEFUL SITTING HERE WITH ALL YOUR BOOKS! YOU'RE REALLY A LOTTA HELP!"

"No, I don't suppose I am." Giles said quietly.

"I know this is hard," Spike tried to reason.

"What do you know about this? You're never gonna die!" she yelled at him.

"You think I want anything to happen to you, pet? Why do you think I've been training you? Do you think I could stand it? We just gotta figure out a way. . ."

"I already did. I quit, remember? Pay attention!"

"Buffy, if the Master rises. . ." Giles said.

Buffy ripped the cross from her neck. "I don't care!" She calmed down. "I don't care. Giles, I'm sixteen years old. I don't wanna die."

She was on the verge of tears again. She threw her cross down and ran from the room. She could hear Spike calling out behind her, but she didn't care. She put on a full burst of Slayer speed and ran for home.

Her only thought was of Mr. Gordo. At least he didn't lie to her and expect her to give up her life to protect him. All he wanted was a good snuggle.