Chapter 14: When She was Bad Buffy was sitting alone on a couch in the student lounge, staring into space, when Willow and Xander found her. "Buffy!" Xander called, but she didn't seem to hear him. "Buffy!" "Fine! I'm fine." Buffy said, snapping out of her reverie "Good. It's good that you're fine," said Xander as he sat next to her on the couch. Willow sat down on the couch opposite Buffy and pulled an apple out of her bag. "What were you thinking about?" Willow asked. "Nothing." "Oh, c'mon, you can tell us. We're your bosom friends. The friends of your bosom," Xander said, smiling at his own joke. He pulled a power bar out of his bag. "Xander," Willow admonished him. Xander winced at his power bar. Willow frowned at her apple. They tossed them to each other over the table. Buffy smiled at them. "I wasn't thinking anything, really." "What'd you do last night?" Willow asked excitedly. "Mm. Slept. I had weird dreams," replied Buffy. "Dreams are meaningful," Xander said in his important voice. "Tsh! Tell me about it. The other night I dreamt that Xander..." Willow stopped, blushing. "Uh, I-it wasn't Xander. I-in fact it wasn't me. It was a friend's dream, and she doesn't remember it." "I bet she doesn't," Buffy told her friend. Just then Giles came up the stairs. "Buffy!" he called. "Giles!" Buffy got up. "What is it? You look worried." "This vampire activity, I think I know what they're up to," he told her worriedly. "Well, we'll deal with it," she said trying to calm him. "I hope it's that simple," worried Giles. "It is not to worry. Trust me," she said casually. "Oh, I don't know. I mean," Giles chuckled, "I've killed you once, it shouldn't be too difficult to do it again." "What?" Buffy said, her eyes wide. Giles swung at her, knocking her down onto the table between the two couches. Then he was on top of her his hands around her throat. Xander and Willow just sat on the couches, munching their food. Willow smiled at Xander. Buffy struggled against Giles, but she couldn't break free of his grasp. She clawed at him, and his skin tore away. Underneath was the Master's face. Buffy stared at him with terror. Her eyes shot open and she looked around her bedroom. Sighing, she turned on the light. 'The Master comes back and kills me dream #34,' she thought. She picked up the envelope that was lying on her bed stand and looked at the strange colorful stamps. There was no return address on it, and the stamps had characters in a language Buffy couldn't identify. She supposed Giles would know what it was, where it had come from. But he would want to see the letter, and that was just for her. She pulled it out and looked over the elegant cursive script again. Dear Buffy, With any luck this letter finds you happy and well. I'm sorry to have to send you this letter. It would seem more polite to call, but I don't have access to a telephone right now, and I assume that you are still at your father's. Hopefully this letter will reach you soon after you return to Sunnydale. When I left I told you that I had family matters to attend to. I thought they would be of the routine nature and that soon I would be able to return to you. An unfortunate turn of events has resulted in someone quite close to me being in mortal peril. I have no idea how long it will take to resolve this situation, or even what part of the world I may find myself in. I can no longer promise to return to Sunnydale in the near future, for this I apologize. Of course, I in no way expect you to wait for me, but know that you are never far from my thoughts. Love, Spike This must have been the twentieth time she had read the letter. It still made very little sense to her. Was it really from Spike? It sure didn't sound like Spike. Then again, if someone had kidnapped Spike and was sending her the letter to throw her off the track, then you'd think they'd at least throw in a 'bloody hell' or a 'bollox'. Or maybe write it in his accent or something. Maybe it really was Spike. Maybe he didn't have a family at all, but a girlfriend somewhere and he hadn't wanted to tell her about it so he was making up this whole family thing. Maybe he just realized that he didn't really like her after all, or he'd met someone new. Once again she reread the letter, hoping to find some clue, to find something to comfort her. To make her feel a little less alone. No amount of checking helped her find it.