Chapter 15: School Hard (Part 1 of 3)

A vampire with a goatee came to stand before the Anointed one. "The Master is dead. Someone has to take his place."

Another vampire broke in, "As long as the Slayer's alive, whoever takes his place will be sharing his grave."

"Then let the soul who kills her wear his mantle," said the first.

"Can you do it?" asked the Anointed One.

"Yes," the first vampire replied. "This weekend, the night of St. Vigeous, our power shall be at its peak. When I kill her, it'll be the greatest event since the crucifixion. And I should know. I was there."

"Now that is what I call hyperbole," said a new voice with an Irish brogue "After all, ye have to figure, a Slayer dies, what every five years or so. But the crucifixion was a one time event."

The new arrival casually strolled into the main part of the factory. The stranger was well dressed, as if he was a person of importance who moved freely among human society. Unlike these other vampires who lurked around the edges. He wore a black silk button down shirt, with a black blazer and matching slacks that had obviously been tailored for him.

"I oughta rip your throat out," challenged the first vampire.

"Not that I haven't been guilty of an exaggeration or two me-self," said the new arrival, turning his back on the others. "But I think ye'd agree that stretching of the truth is the least of me sins."

The vampire who had challenged him rushed him from behind. Without even looking, the Irish vampire swung his fist, knocking the other vampire out.

"Who are you?" asked the Anointed One, intrigued.

"Ye don't know who I am? I'm hurt. To be forgotten by yer own family. I'm Angelus, lad. And you must be the Anointed One. I remember Darla mentioning something about it in one of the Master's beloved prophecies. Fat lot of good they did him, eh?"

"Bite your tongue," demanded the Anointed One.

"Now, now. That's no way to be speaking to yer elders, lad. But I'm not here because of any of that rot. Would I be wrong in guessing that it was this Slayer that killed me poor Darla?"

"Her and the traitor Spike."

"Spike is here?" Angelus demanded.

"No, but he comes back, clipity-clop clipity-clop to catch the bird that's flown the nest," came a woman's voice.

Angelus sighed in exasperation. "Drusilla, I thought I told you to wait outside."

"Look at all the people. Are these nice people?" she asked.

"We're making friends right enough," Angelus told her.

She stared at the boy vampire, "This one has power. I could feel it from the outside." She walked over to the boy. "Do you like daisies? Hmm? I plant them, but they always die. Everything I put in the ground withers and dies." Her eyes lost focus for a minute as she stared into space. "Daddy? I'm cold."

"That's because ye're dead Dru." Angelus turned his attention away from the whimpering vampiress and back to the Anointed. "I'll tell you what. Seeing as how your Slayer offed me Sire, I'll do ye a favor and take care of her for ye.

"Can you?"

"Aye, that I can. Not twenty years ago I got rid of one in New York. This one should be no problem."

*************************

Angelus watched as the Slayer and a redheaded girl sat at a table in the Bronze pouring over a French book.

"La vache... doit me... touche... de la... jeudi." The Slayer looked at her friend. "Was it wrong? Should I use the plural?"

"No. But you said, 'The cow should touch me from Thursday.'"

"Maybe that's what I was feeling," Buffy said, defensively.

"And you said it wrong."

"Oh, je stink."

"You're just not focused. It's Spike missage."

"Yeah, I just wish I knew if he were safe, or what part of the world he was in, or something."

Just then a boy approached the table from the dance floor.

"Guys, I'm all alone out there. Somebody has to dance with me," he pleaded.

"Well, we are studying," the red-head insisted.

"C'mon, one dance. You've been studying nearly twelve minutes."

"No wonder my brain's fried," the Slayer said as she got up.

The other girl started to protest, but the Slayer and boy drug her along with them. None of them noticed the vampire watching them.

Angelus watched them all with mild fascination. He was so intent on watching her, he didn't notice the young black man watching him.

What a silly creature the Slayer seemed. As if she didn't take her duty seriously. Still, he had to know how dangerous she was, so he went over to the bar where the vampire who had been bragging earlier stood.

"Why don't you get yerself something nice and young to eat."

Angelus waited a few minutes before walking to a group of people near the Slayer, and said loudly in his most regular American accent, "Where's the phone? I need to call the police. There's some big guy out there trying to bite somebody,"

The Slayer overheard him and ran for the door. Giving her just a moments head start he followed. He got outside just as the other vampire rolled to his feet.

"Slayer!" cried the vampire.

"Slayee!"

She spun around and kicked him in the face. To his credit, the vampire only flinched a bit. He swung at her but she sidestepped the blow. As she swung at him, he grabbed her arm and threw her into a warehouse loading door. She fell to the ground, but quickly got up again. He swung again and hit the metal door with his fist when she ducked.

At that moment the boy and girl she'd been dancing with arrived. The Slayer blocked the vampire's punch and held on to his arm. She looked behind herself at the others.

"Get her out of here!" She told her friends.

Then she began to punch the vampire repeatedly in the face.

As the young red-head grabbed the near victim and pulled her out of the way, the Slayer yelled over her shoulder, "And a STAKE would be NICE!"

The goofy looking boy ran inside.

Angelus was torn between being impressed by her skill, and thinking her stupid for rushing outside without a weapon. 'She obviously depends on her friends,' he thought. That could be used against her.

The vampire pulled free from her grasp and punched her in the face hard enough to send her spinning to the ground.

Then the fool loomed over her and said, "I don't need to wait for St. Vigeous. You're mine."

'Idiot,' Angelus thought. 'If he'd just snapped her neck, or bit her, she wouldn't have had time to recover. But instead he had to hear himself talk.'

The vampire bent down to get her, and she kicked him in the face. He staggered backward as she got to her feet.

"Angelus! Gimme a hand!" he cried.

At that point Angelus had half a mind to stake the vampire himself. To his dismay, the Slayer followed the vampire's gaze and saw him in the shadows.

The boy had returned with a stake. "Buffy!" he yelled as he tossed the stake to her.

She turned to catch it, and Angelus used that opportunity to leave, he'd already seen everything he'd needed to.