Chapter 28: What's My Line (Part 2 of )

Buffy knocked on Spike's door. She was starting to freak. It was bad enough the way Spike had reacted to the ring, as if she was some girl who couldn't protect herself. But Giles, upon hearing about it, had reacted the same way. He actually thought she should hide.

His tales of unstoppable assassins hadn't helped. Buffy had walked through the halls of Sunnydale High thinking that anyone and everyone might be after her. Sure, Spike had stopped the one-eyed man, but according to Giles, this order would have sent more. They wouldn't stop until she was dead.

Well, if she was going to hide, she figured she'd hide with Spike. Recent events had kept her from having much quality time with him, and she thought that if they didn't do some serious making out soon, she'd explode.

So there she was, waiting outside his door for an answer.

When no answer came, she softly called through the door, "Spike?"

She tried the doorknob, but it was locked. So she twisted the knob hard, breaking it and opening the door. She slowly entered and looked around. She closed the door behind her and turned on the lights.

Buffy made her way to his bed and lay down on it, breathing in his scent from the pillow. She curled up and fell asleep.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Spike stepped into Willy's. It was after hours and Willy was sweeping up.

Willy didn't look up, just shouted, "We're closed! Can't you read the sign?"

Spike stepped in front of him.

"Oh, uh... hey, Spike. I didn't recognize you in the dark there. What, uh... what can I do for you tonight?"

"I need information."

"Yeah? Man, that's too bad, 'cause... I'm stayin' away from that whole scene. I'm livin' right, Spike."

"Sure you are, Willy. And I'm taking up sunbathing."

"C'mon, man. Don't be that way! I-I treat you vamps good! I-I-I-I don't hassle you, you don't hassle me... We all enjoy the patronage of this establishment. Everybody's happy, right?"

Spike wouldn't be put off. "Who sent them?" he menaced.

"Who sent who?"

"The Order of Taraka."

"I-I. . . I tell ya, I haven't been in the loop." Willy was getting more and more nervous.

"Let's try again, mate. The Order of Taraka, they're after the Slayer."

"C'mon, man."

"Was it Angelus?"

"Look, Spike, I-I got some good pigs' blood in, good stuff, my fence said. . ."

Spike grabbed Willy and smacked his head into the bar. Then he pressed down hard on Willy's
head with his hand. It was hard for Spike not to hurt Willy more. Everyone Spike cared about was in danger, and not from just anyone. From Angelus. Even when Spike had been soulless he'd hated the elder vampire.

"Damn it! Ah. . ."

"Been a while since I killed a man. Might take me a couple tries to get it right," Spike growled.

"Oh, Angelus will draw and quarter me, man!"

"Don't worry about Angelus, he's not long for this world."

"You know he ordered those guys! Angelus's sick of your girl getting in his way!"

"Where do I find him?"

"I tell you that, I'm gonna need relocating expenses! It'll cost you!"

Spike jerked Willy up and slammed him against a wall.

"Didn't quite hear that. What did you say?"

"Okay! Okay! He and that freaky chick of his are. . ."

Before Willy could finish, a foot suddenly connected with Spike's face. Both he and Willy fell to the floor. Spike looked up to see a young pretty girl standing over him. She had a beautiful dark face. Her long black hair fell in waves from the ponytail high on her head.

She smelled human, but she didn't hit like one. There was something in the way she stood, in the look in her eyes that was familiar to Spike. If he hadn't known better, he would have sworn she was the Slayer.

The girl grabbed the broom Willy had been using, and broke the handle off. Then, using it as a stake, she attacked Spike. He rolled out of the way of her thrust.

Willy took the opportunity to flee from his own bar.

Meanwhile, Spike got back to his feet, only to duck another swing from the strange and quiet girl. She tried a direct thrust with the stake which Spike just knocked aside, but she followed it up with a punch to the face from her other hand and used her momentum to spin around for a kick that sent him through the door into the back room.

He crashed into several cases of beer. Angry, he vamped as she charged him again. He was stuck fighting this girl who didn't speak. As she knocked him to the ground, he once again noticed that she seemed to have the strength of a slayer.

Not only that, she was a good fighter. Although he got several blows in, she took them without flinching, and forced him backward. Too late he noticed the cage she had driven him into. She knocked him to the ground, then slammed the door of the cage shut.

"Who the bloody hell are you?"

She laughed - the first sound she'd made since she'd shown up - as she stepped back.

"You think this is funny?" he asked.

She shut the bolt, locking him in.

"I tink it is funny now. Dat girl. De one I saw you wit before?"

"Piece of advice. Stay away from her."

"I'm afraid you are not in a position to treaten."

"When I get outta here I'll do more than threaten!"

"Den I suggest ya move quickly." She looked up at the windows. "Eastern exposure. De sun will be comin' in a few hours. More dan enough time for me to find your girlfriend."

"Come back her you bleeding stupid bint!" Spike yelled after her as she left.

Then he attacked the cage door, trying to force it open. The cage held though. He had no idea why Willy needed a cage in the back of his bar, but it had obviously been made to withstand demonic strength.

He couldn't give up. The sun was rising, and if he became a pile of dust, he would no longer be there to help Buffy. Not to mention the kissing.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Instinct woke Buffy. Without thinking she rolled to the far side of the bed as a hatchet struck the pillow where her head had been.

A dark skinned girl was holding the hatchet and swung it at Buffy again. Buffy was a step ahead of her, however, and flipped herself off the bed over the girl's back and onto the floor behind her, ready to fight.

"You must be number two!" Buffy said.

The girl swung the hatchet at Buffy who ducked the swing and grabbed the bed curtain. She pulled it down and over the girl's head and knocked her to the floor with a kick to the head.

The girl quickly scrambled out from under the curtain and stood with the hatchet up and ready.

"Thanks for the wake-up, but I'll stick with my clock radio," Buffy quipped.

The girl swung again but this time, Buffy caught the hatchet by the handle. The girl pulled her around and slammed her into the wall, pushing the hatchet into her chest. Buffy pushed the hatchet up and away from her. The girl pulled down on it, flipping Buffy over onto her back. She bared down on Buffy.

"Come on, don't make me do the chick fight thing," Buffy grunted.

"Chick fight?"

"You know."

She let go of the hatchet with one hand and dug her nails into the girl's hand. She gritted her teeth and grunted in pain, but refused to let go. So Buffy grabbed her arm and rolled her over and away. They both scrambled to their feet.

Buffy kicked the hatchet out of the girl's hand. The girl tried two kicks which Buffy easily blocked. Buffy ducked a swing to her head and swung back, but the girl grabbed her arm in mid-swing and flipped her over onto the coffee table, smashing it. Buffy winced, not so much because of the pain, but because Spike didn't have much furniture, and she hated destroying what little there was.

Buffy kicked the girl as she reached down and knocked her to the floor. They both got up and circled each other.

"Who are you?" the girl asked.

"Who am I?" Buffy was incredulous. "You attacked me! Who the hell are you?!"

"I am Kendra! De Vampire Slayer!"

Buffy looked at her in utter disbelief.

A little winded, Buffy asked, "Okay, one more time. You're the who?!"

"I'm de Slayer."

"Nice cover story. But here's a tip: you might wanna try it on someone who's not the real Slayer."

"Ya can't stop me! Even if ya kill me, anodder Slayer will be sent to take me place."

"Could you stop with the Slayer thing? I'm the damn Slayer!" Delusion girl was beginning to piss her off.

"Nonsense! Dere is but one, and I am she."

"Okay, a scenario." Buffy held up her hand in a peaceful gesture. "You back off, I'll back off, but you promise not to go all wiggy until we can go to my Watcher and figure this out."

"Wiggy?"

"You know. No kick-o, no fight-o?"

Kendra considered the offer a moment, then relaxed her stance and crossed her arms.

"I accept your scenario," came Kendra's formal reply.

"So. You were sent here?"

"Yes, by my Watcher."

"To do what, exactly?"

"To do my duty. I am here to kill vampires."