"Joyce, get me Rupert Giles on the phone." Riley asked his trusted secretary.

"Yes, Mr. Finn"

Riley waited impatiently for Joyce to notify him that Mr. Giles was on the line.

"Mr. Giles on line one."

Riley wasn't interested in exchanging pleasantries. He wanted to get right down to business.

"Do you have something for me...that quick...I want to meet today. I'll have my secretary pencil you in for a 2:00 appointment."

Riley hung up the phone then called his secretary.

"Joyce, pencil in Rupert Giles for 2:00."

"You have an appointment with Faith for that time...do you want me to call her to reschedule?"

"Cancel it but I'll call her myself."

"Yes, Mr. Finn."

Riley looked out the 83rd floor window of his building. He needed some time to collect himself before Rupert Giles showed up. He wanted to prepare himself for what he was about to hear. He called the private detective after he suspected Buffy had been cheating on him. There was things in her apartment that didn't sit well with him, the wine glasses, the extra toothbrush, the birth control pills, and her jumpiness whenever her phone ringed. There was no way he was going to take time out of his day to find out, making money was more important so he hired someone else to do it for him.

Rupert Giles was a private investigator he's used in the past to spy on some of his clients. Using him helped Riley with his business deals. He would find out about his clients daily routines, hobbies and minor family stuff to get to know his client on a personal level. It worked like a charm. Riley would pretend to have the same hobbies, show up at places he knew his clients would be as if by accident and lure them into talking about business. He would mention names of their family members as if he cared about how they were doing. This time it was different. His ego wanted confirmation. He wanted to who she was seeing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffy had been avoiding Riley for the last two days telling him she was busy with work. The truth was she was trying to enjoy her rose garden before all the flowers wilted and died. She wrapped her arms around herself reliving sweet and intense moments with Spike. She ran a hot bath, lit some scented candles, and placed rose petals into the tub. She reclined against the waterproof pillow and read the beautiful erotic poems he'd written her. His words allowed her to travel back in time to immerse herself in her memories. Buffy laughed, cried, and became aroused thinking about everything she shared with her passionate and insatiable lover. Her heart swelled with nothing but love for him. Spike made her feel alive like she mattered and most all to him, Riley on the hand didn't. Although he was trying to make improvements, the nagging feeling it wasn't genuine still remained in the back of her mind.

The writing had been on the wall for so long and she chose to ignore it based on a nice speech Riley probably prepared before he returned from Japan. She realized she deserved more, feeling stupid she let him convince her he was worth a second chance. Everything was crystal clear now. She was going to break up with Riley tonight over dinner. Then after dinner she was going to tell Spike she was a fool, apologize for being an idiot and tell him she was ready to be loved.

Riley paced back and forth in his office waiting for Rupert. He was fifteen minutes late and that annoyed the hell out of him. He reclined back into his chair, grabbing a folder to help him take his mind off things. The moment was short-lived. Joyce buzzed in informing him Rupert had arrived. Riley stood up from his desk and watched the nervous man enter his office.

"You're late."

"Yes, I know...my apologies...another case I was working on delayed me."

"What do you have for me?" Riley asked.

"Ah yes...well since you called me on short notice...I must admit I didn't think I would have anything for you. Fortunately, Ms. Summers proved me wrong." Rupert said, handing Riley a folder containing pictures and a time log of Buffy's where abouts.

Riley opened the folder, trying to decipher the man's handwriting but it was useless.

"Jesus man...don't you believe in typing your notes...this is the twenty first century...I can't read this...could you help me out."

"Yes...sorry"

"Going by the information you'd given about her work hours, it seems Ms. Summers left work early on Monday, heading home. She reemerged two hours later, hailing a cab wearing different clothing. I followed her to an address on the lower west side and watched her enter an apartment that later I found out belonged to a Spike Williams. Once I established her location. I waited outside the building approximately five hours at which time Ms. Summers and Mr. Williams emerged from the building." Giles said, pulling out the photographs he'd taken of Buffy and Spike.


Riley snatched the photos out of Rupert's hands looking through them quickly. There was a photo of the smiling lover's holding hands leaving the building, hugging on the sidewalk, kissing goodbye with Spike's hand on her ass and the finally photo showing a handsome blonde man looking dead into Rupert's camera.

Riley's mouth dropped opened when he recognized the man from the photo. It was the same guy he ran into outside Buffy's building when he returned from Japan. The same guy he found oddly attractive.

"I knew it...I knew that bitch was seeing someone else." Riley shouted, throwing the photos onto his desk. He turned his back on Rupert and stared out his window.

"Who is this guy?"

"Oh...Mr. Williams is employed by Speedy Cab Company."

"A fucking cab driver...she's been balling a cabdriver." Riley shouted then chuckled.

"Yes it seems so" Rupert replied.

"A cabdriver...that is so beneath her...I'm ten times better."

"Give me his address...no better yet...give it to my secretary so she can write it down...I can't read your damn writing."

Mr. Giles stared at the gentlemen waiting for further instructions.
Finally, he stood up and asked.

"Will you be needing me for anything else, sir."

"No...you've done well Rupert...on your way out my secretary will give your fee."

"Ah yes okay...thank you"

"Oh I almost forgot...It seems Ms. Summers had a floral delivery to her apartment. I tracked the delivery to a Manhattan florist and bribed the teenage clerk into giving me the source of the delivery. It turns out Mr. Williams paid the florist $2500.00 to deliver 1,000 red roses to Ms. Summers."

"Really...looks like the guy is a romantic...what a waist of $2500.00." Riley replied shaking his head from side to side, staring back out his window.

Riley could finally laid his suspicious to rest. He was pleased that he was right about Buffy. He was meeting her for dinner tonight and decided he was going to have a little fun with her. He had no intentions of confronting her about Spike. He didn't care. After all, he had Faith and was thinking about dumping Buffy sooner than he thought. He told Buffy to meet him at Baldwin's but he changed his mind thinking he would rather see what 1,000 red roses looked like.

"Joyce will you get me Buffy on the phone"

"Yes, sir"

"Buffy on line one...Mr. Finn."

"Hey sweetheart...are we still on for dinner tonight?"

"Yes...I wouldn't miss it for the world." Buffy smiled sadisticly.

"Glad to hear that...honey there has been a slight change in plans...it seems I can come pick you up after all. I had a meeting run late and it's near your home so I thought I just swing by and pick you up."

Buffy didn't respond, looking around her apartment trying to figure out how to get rid of the flowers she had planned on keeping around at least for day.

"Buffy are you there?" Riley asked, knowing Buffy was probably going out of her mind.

"Ah yes I'm still here...are you sure you want to do that...I prefer if you went without me and order for me since I know you like to surprise me with some new exotic dish."

"You're right...but I miss you and I can't wait to see you...I know you look gorgeous and I want you on my arm when we walk into the restaurant."

Buffy hesitated.

"Buffy are you still there...what are you doing?"

"Oh nothing...I just remembered I wanted to drop some of my clothes off at the cleaners before I met you for dinner. I was going to be leaving an hour early before our date...I'm sorry honey I want be here but I'll tell you what I'll wear something extra special for you okay."

Riley covered the phone with his hand, laughing at Buffy. He was amused at the lengths she was going to, avoiding having him come to pick her up. He figured he stressed her out enough and gave in."

"I see...well okay...then I'll meet you at the restaurant...oh and Buffy...I prefer it if you wear my favorite black dress...you know the one that requires no panties."

Buffy swallowed hard the tone in his voice was such a turn off.

"You got it." She said, knowing she wasn't going to wear the dress. She was breaking up with him. There wasn't a need to please him anymore.

"Okay honey...bye."

As soon as Riley hung up with Buffy he called Faith.

"Faith baby how would you like to meet for dinner at Baldwin's?"