~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 5: Lean on me, part 4


“So Harris, now that you and Red saw Buffy, you’re off to get weapons like we talked about earlier.” Spike had taken his jacket off and was now addressing the Scoobies, taking his role as the replacement leader seriously.


Buffy was surprised by his change of attitude, but it was a nice change. She knew he had it in him to take charge, but he never really bothered. Taking the second place next to her, satisfying himself by bitching, making snarky comments and dragging his feet as the reluctant sidekick. Fighting was more his thing, but he could also be a great leader. Something she had always known deep down. “Red, how’s that spell doing? Will it work?”


Willow smiled proudly. “Affirmative Sir. That’s a big yes.”


“Bloody awesome. So you’ll get whatever supplies you need from Buffy’s home, or stop by your place and the magic box if you must, but do it fast. Rup and I will stay here and try to come up with a plan.” He sighed and ran his hands through his hair, frowning a little. “Of course, it’d be easier if one of us had been on the site and we knew what the bloody hell we’re getting ourselves into, but it will have to do. We’ll try to see if Cordelia remembers any more details from her visions.”


“I’m starting to feel a little ignored here. What about me? I’m sure I could do something…”


“I didn’t forget about you luv. Anyanka, if you agree to it, you’ll fight with us tonight. You’re the strongest one besides me, so it would be great if you’d accept…”


“Of course! I’ve been holding back lately because Xander don't like it when I maim people, even for vengeance. Go figure." The vengeance demon pouted before continuig. "A little bit of violence will do me good. I’m sure you know what I mean, soul or no soul.”


“Sure thing ducks. Gotta let the pressure out, and tonight’s the right time to do it.” He turned and frowned when he saw Willow and Xander still standing there. “Red, Whelp, you still here?”


“Huh… on our way boss.” And they were out the door. Spike just rolled his eyes and turned back to Anya and Giles to discuss what they were going to do.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“So are you sure you have everything Will? Wouldn’t want General Fangface going all scary on you now would we?” Xander put the car on reverse and pulled out of Willow’s driveway. They had stopped by Willow’s place to gather the magical supplies she would need to protect them against the mind control.


“Yup, no worries, it’s all good. It will work like a charm, I guaranty it. It’s really simple, I just had to think about it.”


She gave Xander a quick glance and automatically felt the need to reassure him. “Xand… It’s ok you know. I’m fine, I really am. I can handle this, I promise you. No more scary veiny Willow. Black eyed, maybe, but no veins.”


“It’s not funny Will, I don’t like this. I don’t like this at all. Spike implied that you will be going with him and Anya tonight. I think it’s a very bad idea.”


“You’ll have to trust me Xander. I know my limits now. I also know that emotion is a bad factor in magic and I’ll never let it overpower me again. I’ve been practicing you know. More than you know about. Lots of exercises and meditation. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to scare you. But I’m ready for this. You’ll just have to believe in me.” She put her hand on his arm. “Can you do this? For me?”


Xander grumbled a little but finally agreed. “Sure. You know better I guess… Ok, fine, I trust you.”


“Good. Then you’ll have to prove it to me now. Stop the car.”


“Huh?”


“Stop the car, Xander. Now.”


Xander slowed down, then put on the brakes. They were in front of the old High School. “Will… What are we doing here?”


But when he turned to look at the redheaded witch, she wasn’t there anymore.


“What the hell!?”


Willow’s laugh answered him. “I’m still here.” The car door opened. “Don’t worry, it’s just a simple glamour. Spike gave me the idea when he complained that none of us had been on the site yet. So this idea came popping into my mind. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it earlier. I won’t be long. I’ll just take a look, see if I couldn’t find out something that will help us tonight.”


Xander’s eyes were reflecting complete horror and panic. “Are you out of your mind?! Willow Rosenberg, there’s no way I’m letting you go in there by yourself! If they could block your locator spells, maybe they can break your glamour…”


“I’ll be careful, I’ll stay hidden in case it doesn’t hold. Sorry Xander, but this could be vital. I’ll only be a minute, promise.”


“Willow?… Willow! Damn it!”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Willow walked into Buffy’s hospital room followed by a gloomy Xander.


“I still think that was the stupidest idea you ever came up with!”


“Oh please Xander, would you give it a rest already?”


All eyes were on them as they kept bickering. Willow was carrying a gym bag on her shoulder. She dropped it on the floor. “Magical supplies.” She explained. Then, walking to where Spike was sitting, she put what looked like black cloaks down on the chair next to him. “And our backstage passes to the biggest event of the year.”


Puzzled, Spike examined the five hooded cloaks. “What the bleedin hell is this?”


“That happens to be the official uniform of the bringers of the Apocalypse. Oh, and if you want any information about tonight, just ask. Time, ritual, what the surroundings look like, how many people will attend…”


“What? How?..”


“Don’t ask. She thought it would be fun to pull a Buffy on me… “


“Pull a what?” Spike looked like he was trying hard at making sense out of what the two were saying, but failing miserably.


“A Buffy. She made herself invisible like Buffy did last year… And now that I think of it, I so don’t want to know what I really walked into when you were doing those exercises in bed…”


“Could we please try to focus here?” Spike asked, clearly irritated.


“Sorry.”


Willow sighed and flopped down on a chair. “I made myself invisible with a glamour, and I sneaked into the old High School. I thought it would be nice to know what we’re up against. I stole those three cloaks from a pile. That’s what they’ll be wearing tonight for the ritual. This way, we can have the element of surprise.”


Willow seemed to be expecting praises, but Spike stayed silent for a moment. “So.. What do you say? Wasn’t it a great idea?”


“Red, a part of me wants to hug you, the other wants to shake you really badly.”


“What?.. But…”


“Do you realize how bad it would have been if those wankers got you? I can’t start to imagine the repercussions! What were you thinking Red?”


“EX-ACT-ly my point!” Xander said proudly. “I kept telling her but she wouldn’t listen.”


Willow pouted.


Spike continued. “But…” He suddenly hugged the girl fiercely. “Thank you so much for your carelessness!”


Xander protested vehemently. “What?! But.. And you encourage her?! But.. You.. What?!”


Spike slapped him upside the head affectionately, then put an arm around his shoulder. “You should be glad she took that risk whelp. Thanks to Red here, now I won’t have to use you as a distraction like I planned to.”


Buffy giggled a little from her bed at Xander’s offended look.


“Ha ha, real funny fangface.”


“Wasn’t trying to be funny. It was the original idea.”


Xander’s eyes widened comically and he went to sit down by the window, mumbling obscenities under his breath.


Spike smiled smugly. “What? It would have been an honorable death. Would have built a bleedin’ monument for you in the middle of Sunnyhell…" Xander gave him the finger. “A giant Harris carved in stone with a hammer in his hands… With a commemorative plaque and all.”


“Spike, leave him alone would you.” Willow rolled her eyes at the vampire.


“What? A bloke can’t have a bit of fun before the apocalypse? Bloody unfair if you ask me.” He went back to his spot next to Buffy, kissing her forehead before sitting down. “How are you holding on pet?”


“A little better after the nap, but I won’t be able to get a descent rest until the ordeal is over and everybody is safe and sound.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The night was falling quickly over Sunnydale and in the small hospital room the tension was rising. Spike was pacing in anticipation of the fight to come, while Willow was putting away the magical supplies she had just used to cast a protection spell around the room. Like she said herself: “You never know what kind of evil thoughts can cross an evil mind. Better be safe than sorry.” So she made it so no evil could enter the room. Buffy was in not shape to defend herself, and all the scoobies with enough power or strength to fight would be at the old high school leaving her alone with Dawn and Cordelia. It would be child’s play for Angelus to send some of his men to take her.


“Spike, would you stop bouncing around like that? You’re making me nauseous.”


The blond vampire flashed his love a sheepish grin. “Sorry luv, adrenaline always does that to me.” He pulled a chair next to her and straddled it, resting his forearms on the back of the chair.


“I know. First thing I noticed about you, Mr. Antsy pants. Then I thought: ‘Great, now I have to stake hot guy with sexy British accent. Could my life suck anymore than that?’”


“Really?”


“Yeah… But then I found out just how cocky and annoying you are and it made things a little easier.”


Spike wiggled his eyebrows at her, and they exchanged a smile, both lost in their memories for a moment. Buffy finally broke the silence.


“Just make sure to come back in one piece, would you.” She said it just loud enough for him to hear.


“I promise.”


“You better keep that promise. Try not to let your feelings get control over you when you see him. I know you. You’ll want revenge and take risks. Don’t.”


“Buffy…”


“No. Just promise me you will stick to the plan and you won’t get yourself killed because of Angelus.”


Spike looked down and remained silent for a moment or two then finally nodded. “Alright luv, I promise.”


“Hey… Look at me.” She put a finger under his chin and tilted his head up. “We’ll get him later, ok? You’ll kick his ass as much as you want. Just not now.”


He smiled and kisses her lightly, mindful of her swollen lip. “I’ll be back before you know it. Try not to worry too much.” He got up and turned to face the Scoobies. “Wake up you bunch of wankers, it’s time to kick some bloody arses.”


They all got up and kissed Buffy before following Spike out of the room. But Buffy stopped Willow.


“Will, can you do me a favor?.. “


“Huh.. Sure… What?”


“Look after him. Watch his back for me, ok?”


“Of course Buffy but… Spike as proven again and again that he can take care of himself in battle. Don’t worry about him.”


“I know that Willow. He’s a great fighter, probably one of the best, if not the best I came across. But he’s also very hotheaded, impulsive and passionate. After what Angelus did to me, I’m afraid that when he’ll see him, he’ll lose control and do something stupid that will get him killed.”


The redhead nodded her understanding.


“I’ll just feel better if I know you’re keeping an eye on him… making sure he’ll come back to me, that’s all.”


Willow smiled to her friend and lay a reassuring hand on her frail shoulder. “Will do Buff. See you later.”


She left the room just as Dawn and Cordelia walked in. They looked at each other uncomfortably, realizing how long the waiting would be. Especially for Buffy who was so used to be part of the action.


“So, huh… You guys wanna play cards or something?”


Buffy groaned. *Yep, this is gonna be a looong night*


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~