~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 6: Leap of Faith, part 2



“I don’t trust her.”


Lilah Morgan looked around once more to make sure everything was perfect. Aesthetically speaking, this had nothing to do with the kind of posh workplace she was used to, but it would do. The whole building had been put together in a rush and it was a miracle that it was still standing. They had kept the outside walls of Sunnydale High, and only fixed the inside so it would suit their plans. The space around the breach in the ground had been cleared of all obstacles, allowing an impressive group of people to gather around it. They had installed torches all around the site and it was bathing everything in a spooky orange glow. The few demons assisting in the ritual were already dressed in their cloaks, and waiting for the event to start, while the still numerous humans were awaiting their fate in retreat. Everything seemed to be perfect. They hadn’t even heard of the Slayer and her friends since she had escaped the night before. With a little bit of luck, they were all at the hospital surrounding the little bitch’s bed, so busy praising her and telling her just how wonderful she is that they would never know what hit them. But just in case they were smarter than she thought, she posted guards outside the building.


Lilah’s eyes went back to Angelus and she watched in silence as he finished draining a young boy. He dropped the body to the ground and wiped his mouth from the remaining traces of blood.


“You don’t trust her, because you shouldn’t trust her. Come on Lilah, you and I have known each other long enough for me to know that you’re not just a pretty face. There’s actually a brain behind all that make-up you’re wearing.”


She grinned, obviously pleased with herself. “I did finally succeed in getting rid of that annoying soul of yours, didn’t I. Proved Angel I wasn’t as stupid as he thought I was.”


“Yeah, you know what? I wouldn’t brag too much about that if I was you. Lil’ Buffy pulled that one off too so it doesn’t say all that much about your IQ I’m afraid.”


Lilah glared at him but let it pass. “Can we go back to our topic please? Faith. I’m starting to have my doubts about the girl. I don’t know if she’s gonna go through with it. She assured me that she was cool with it, but I know people--It’s my job to know people, and I could tell that she was nervous about this. She sounded like she could be convinced to do the right thing so I think she needs someone by her side to keep her in the right frame of mind. I was gonna have you staying by my side, but I think you’ll be more useful standing next to her. This way, if someone gets the funny idea of trying to interrupt the ceremony, you can take care of things.”


“Yeah, sure. Where are you going to be anyway?”


“Me? Well away from possible harm in case things don’t go as planned.” She smiled at him sweetly. “I happen to like my body and I am very protective of it.”


Angelus opened his mouth to answer but she interrupts him.


“I’ve gotta go talk to Faith. If you’ll excuse me…” She took the hand of a blond girl who had been standing in the shadow behind her, and they made their way across the crowded room to where Faith was talking to Gavin.


“You were leaving Gavin? What a disappointment.”


The Chinese lawyer just rolled his eyes and walked away. Lilah turned to Faith.


“Faith, I’d like you to meet… “ She turned to the blond girl who couldn’t be more than thirteen or fourteen years old. “What’s your name honey?”


“Jaime.”


The girl’s eyes were empty, her voice lifeless.


“So Jaime here’s gonna be your official virgin sacrifice. I know, I know; it’s a little cliché. But it’s necessary. So keep an eye on her would you, I’m busy. “ She shoved the young girl towards Faith. “Don’t get too attached though because you’ll be slicing her throat in a hour or so. “


Faith stared at Lilah with her mouth hanging open. “What..? Dude, you’re trippin… be serious.”


“I am serious Faith. If you have a problem with that, you better say it now.”


The brunette cast a slightly worried glance towards Jaime before answering. “No. Of course I don’t have a problem. Just thought it’s kinda lame… you know… the virgin sacrifice an all that shit. Don’t worry, I’m cool.”


“Yes. You better be.”


Faith followed Lilah with her eyes until she was out of sight. Feeling like someone was staring at her, she turned to see Jaime standing there. He irrationally snapped at what was more like a shell than an actual person. “Stop staring at me you creep!”


*man, this is gonna be really fucked up…* She couldn’t help thinking.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Alright. So we all know what we have to do?”


Xander gave Spike a mocked salute. “Yes general.”


“I bloody well hope you do Whelp, we’ve been through this about twenty times for your benefit..”


“Yeah fang face. You think you’re so funny, don’t ya.” Xander pouted.


“Just trying to lighten the mood soldier. Lets do this.”


Spike and Giles watched as Xander, Anya and Willow made their way around the building, then Spike turned to Giles.


“Right behind you Ripper.”


The two men pulled the hoods of their cloak down in front of their faces and walked to the other side of the building. There was an opening in one of the walls where a few demons wearing similar robes were standing.


Giles went in first, giving a slight nod of his head and praying to all Gods that the smell of other humans in the building was strong enough to cover his own. They had found out too late that only demons were wearing the cloaks and it wouldn’t do to be discovered now. But fortunately, the demons standing there barely acknowledged them.


They made their way quietly through a dark hallway that seemed to be leading to the place of the ritual. The only source of light came from sparse torches that bathed everything in a shifty orange glow and made the place even more hostile and gloomy.


Thinking that he had lost Giles, Spike had to look up for a moment in order to locate him. It was only a fraction of second, but he knew right away that he had been found out. There was no need to hope, he saw the recognition in the eyes of the human. Of all people, he had to come face to face with the kid from the 7/Eleven.


Swiftly and almost without a sound, Spike grabbed the boy and pulled him into the shadow where he reached for his head to snap his neck.


He froze.


Half an hour without the chip, and he was already trying to kill an innocent. Panic was choking him. He held his hand over the boy’s mouth to keep him quiet and took a few deep breaths to calm himself down. He had to be rational about this because it really wasn’t the time for lengthy introspections. The big picture was what mattered, the mission. And the sake of the world depended on the mission to succeed. If that boy had given the alert, it would have been over. Sure, if Buffy had been in the same situation, her reaction would have been to punch the boy’s lights out. But he was working on instincts, and even if he hated to face it now that he had a soul, there was still a demon inside of him and things like that were to be expected.


**Very bad timing for the self-therapy moment mate**


Spike put his hand over the kid’s nose to cut off his oxygen until he passed out, then dropped him to the floor. Then, making sure the hood was covering his face, he went back to where a very anxious Giles was waiting for him.


“Where in the bloody world have you been! I thought they had you.” Giles whispered harshly.


“Sorry. Ran into a bit of trouble. It’s all taken care of. Let’s go.”


They finally walked into what used to be the library. A few walls had been taken down, leaving only the outside walls of the high school, and it was much bigger. Barely smaller than a football field, to be exact.


There were a lot of people in there, standing aimlessly around the place, most of them staring off into space. It was a disturbing sight for both Giles and Spike. There must have been at least two hundred of them. The rest were demons. About thirty or so.


Spike looked up to where Willow was supposed to set up camp and as expected, she was there. They were ready.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Willow finished making her way to the hole in the collapsed wall she had spotted earlier that day, Anya and Xander bickering happily behind her, testing her patience. She was so close to losing it.


“Why won’t you admit that you’re wrong? You never admit when you’re wrong and I’m right.”


“Because I’m right Anh! It doesn’t make sense…”


“Does too! You think that…”


“Enough!” The redheaded witch turned to Anya and Xander, her eyes flashing with frustration and anger.


“But he refuses to say that…”


“One more word and I swear I’ll do things to you that you’ve never heard of Anya. And you too Xander.”


Anya took one look at Willows eyes. They weren’t quite black yet, but definitely getting there. She backed off.


“Fine. No need to get scary. No more talking.”


Willow sighed, relieved that the constant bickering was finally coming to an end. “Alright. We’re here.”


The place was perfect. It was well away from the coming battle, and Willow would have a great view of what would be happening about twenty feet below without any risk of her spells being interrupted. Anya and Xander had come with her to make sure she would make it without a glitch. She had to concentrate on her magic, not defending herself. They could also reach their assigned position more easily from there since it meant they didn’t have to cross the room.


Xander and Anya looked down at the scene unfolding in front of them with matching worried frowns as Willow finished setting up the ingredients she would need.


“Merciful Zeus! You have got to be joking! It‘s like Carnival down there.”


Anya snickered. “You’ve been to how many apocalypses exactly Xander? Three? Four?.. Any of those times had to do with two midgets playing chess? Or fairies reading stories to the kids?”


“Those sarcasms are uncalled for Anya. I’m sure you’re as freaked as I am. There’s got to be at least two hundred people down there. Why are the Scoobies always outnumbered? I swear, if we make it through this, I‘ll interview potential Scoobies as soon as we get home so this doesn‘t happen again.”


Willow patted her freaked out friend on the back reassuringly. “Come on Xand, try to see the glass half full for once. It‘s not as bad as it looks.”


“When I see a glass and don’t know if it’s half empty or half full, I drink it. No more dilemma.”


Willow rolled her eyes at him. “Yeah, you know what? The Scoobies are always outnumbered, but do I have to remind you that the Scoobies are still standing, living and breathing nonetheless? That must mean that we’re doing something right, don’t you think? Besides, you won’t have to fight all these people. As soon as I’m done with the spell, the humans will probably run away screaming their heads off…”


“Yes. Leaving us to deal with thirty or so demons, two evil psychotic lawyers from hell, a rogue Slayer and Angelus the magnificent himself. Not to mention the Hellmouth. We’re so screwed.”


“I’ll agree with Xander here. It doesn’t look really good for us.”


Willow shut her eyes tightly in frustration. **And she chooses NOW to agree with him?!**


Seeing Willow’s expression, Anya back pedaled quickly. “But I’m all for risking my life for the greater good. Go apocalypse! Yay us doomed white hats!”


Willow chose to ignore the vengeance demon and walked to the edge of the crumbled wall to try spotting Spike and Giles. With everybody wearing the same thing, it would have been nearly impossible if she hadn’t known exactly where they were supposed to be. But she found them without too much trouble. Spike was actually looking up at her. She gave him the thumb up. He discretely indicated to her where Lilah and Faith were standing.


“Lilah.”


“Huh?” Xander looked at her in confusion.


“That evil psychotic lawyer you were talking about? That’s her right over there. Cordelia said to watch for this one, she’s the one in charge.”


“Oh, are those Jimmy Choo stilettos she’s wearing? I bet evil law firms pay very well.”


Willow had enough. “Ok, you two, go now. I have to do the spell and you need to be down there.”


She watched them leaving and called after them. “Have fun!.. Don’t get killed!”


She waited until they reached their assigned position, then gave Spike and Giles the signal that they were all ready to start.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~