~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 6: Leap of Faith, part 3


The witch stood at the edge of the wall, overlooking the whole scene. She was holding a small leather pouch in one hand, and power coursed through her as she said words in a language long forgotten. The magic she was up against was powerful. She was more powerful.


Emptying the content of the pouch on her upturned palm, she blew the shimmering powder over the scene. She knew the mind control spell was broken right away, but it took a few seconds for people to realize what was going on. They started stirring and blinking, as if waking up from a long nightmare. Then the first scream sounded, and panic spread quickly from one end of the room to the other.


People were rushing the exits in a desperate attempt to get as far away as possible from this place that reeked of evil and death. They were willing to kill anybody who would get in their way. The commotion reminded Willow of a stampede. Or maybe more like the running of the bulls, in the streets of a small Spanish village.


She saw Spike shoving at a few people who, in their haste to get away, were trying to push past him. Giles even had to punch one who was clinging to him, pulling on his cloak and threatening his disguise.


Lilah’s shrill voice suddenly resonated through the open room. She was barking orders at her minions. The normally calm and collected lawyer seemed frantic.


“Don’t let them out! DON’T LET ANYBODY OUT OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!”


Willow saw her leaning towards Angelus to say something in his ear, then she grabbed Faith’s arm and the two women walked to the opening of the Hellmouth.


**Oh oh.. Not good.**


The redheaded witch glanced worriedly towards Spike. He was the one who was supposed to give the signal of the attack by striking first. He hadn’t moved yet, but there were still a couple of humans in the way.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Humans were running everywhere. Lilah was pissed; she didn’t like it when things didn’t go her way. She had spent a very long time working on this plan and nothing would make her fail. This could only be the work of the Slayer’s stupid little friends. She had underestimated them, obviously.


At first, she wasn’t going to send any of the demons after the humans. There were already demons guarding the exits and she needed all the reinforcement she could get around the ritual site in case the white hats decided to interrupt. But the humans were crucial to the ritual and she couldn’t risk them escaping. They needed them to keep the Hellmouth’s energy flowing until it could be opened permanently. So she decided to send some of the minions to help keep the humans inside in case the demons at the door would be outnumbered.


“Don’t let them out! DON’T LET ANYBODY OUT OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!” She shouted at the black robed demons.


Turning to Angelus, she leaned towards him to speak in his ear.


“Change of plans handsome. I’ll stay with Faith, and you make sure that nobody comes anywhere near us. You know the Slayer’s friends better than anybody here so you know which one poses a threat, which one to take down first.”


“I’m on it.”


The dark haired vampire turned to walk away and Lilah took Faith’s arm and guided her to the opening in the ground that lead to the famous Hellmouth.


“Time to do this Faith.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Spike saw Lilah walking with Faith to the gap in the ground and decided that it was time to act.


He pushed back the hood that was covering his head and reached behind him to retrieve the sword that was strapped to his back under the cloak. Spike pulled it out and took a swing, cutting off the head of the demon standing next to him. This officially started the battle.


Without missing a beat, he moved on to the next demon who had the guts to attack him. He could see Rupert from the corner of his eyes. The watcher was taking care of two demons at a time and seemed to be doing just fine, so Spike threw himself heart and soul into the battle, dispatching the demons one after the other.


Spike was vaguely aware of what was going on on the other side of the room but didn’t pay much attention because he knew Anya and Xander could hold their own. He had looked quickly, and seen Xander hacking away happily at demons, while Anya was busy with the Chinese guy. The lawyer seemed like an old pro at sword fighting, but Anyanka was giving him a run for his money and did it with a happy smile on her face that said she was thoroughly enjoying herself. The girl sure did love a good spot of violence. Demons were going down left and right, leaving only a few standing.


The blonde vampire turned around only to be faced with the ugliest demon he had ever seen.


“Well you sure are a nasty ugly bugger mate. The world won’t miss you too much.”


Taking a swing of his sword, he decapitated the thing. The demon went down, revealing the grinning Angelus who had been standing right behind it.


“Hello there Spikey boy. Enjoying your evening?”


Spike just stood there, staring into the eyes of the one person he hated the most in this world. He felt the rage warming up his cold body. It started at his toes, slowly making its way up until he couldn’t hold the blood lust back any longer. That was the moment he had been waiting for.


“Well hello to you too Angelus.” he said through gritted teeth. “Ready to die?”


Before the brunette vampire could reply, Spike threw himself at him. Both men went down hard. The snarls and growls could be heard through the room over the sounds of the fight.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Willow’s eyes widened when she saw the two vampires fight. She had expected this, but in her delusional mind, had secretly hoped it wouldn’t happen. Yet, there they were, completely lost in a vicious fight and seemingly unaware of their surroundings.


**Shit!**


If Spike lost sight of the big picture, they were all screwed. And as it was, it really didn’t look good. The two were now back on their feet facing each other, their blades clashing viciously.


But as worried as she was, especially after what Buffy had told her about Spike and his emotional state, she couldn’t focus only on him. Looking away from the two vampires, her gaze was drawn to the opening in the ground that would soon be the Hellmouth, and she didn’t like what she saw. Lilah was holding a blonde girl by the back of her shirt over the gapping opening in the ground. The blood was flowing freely from the girl’s throat and into the Hellmouth.


Thinking fast, Willow said a few words in Latin, then flicked her wrist. Theoretically, Lilah and the blonde girl should have flown back hard enough to crash into the wall. Nothing happened.


Willow looked puzzled for a moment, then frowned as she realized what was going on. There was no doubt in the witch’s mind that a magical barrier had been erected around Lilah and Faith to protect them.


She started working frantically on a counter spell, but knew it would take too much time. They didn’t have the luxury of time.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~