Chapter 2 – Simple as Pie




It didn’t take long for her to catch up to him. He hid his smile when she glanced over at him before settling into an easy pace beside him. For awhile neither spoke. They just walked along the edge of the surf letting the waves flow over their feet.

A gentle evening breeze occasionally would play with a tendril of her hair that had come loose from its binding. It would dance toward him bringing along with the golden strands the flowery scent of her shampoo to tease at him. He would inhale deeply but was disappointed. The salty tang of the ocean only overpowered it. Eventually he sighed with disappointment.

“You didn’t need to walk with me,” Buffy said, halting. “I could have returned to the hotel.”

“I wanted to walk with you,” Spike replied, turning to her. He tucked a wisp of her hair behind her ear. “You’ve been on my mind since I saw you at breakfast.”

She blushed. The innocent gesture endeared her to him. It made him feel even more protective of her than he did before. She was a blank page waiting to write the story of her life; he thought then quickly pushed away his fanciful idea. That particular train of thought was dangerous because it made him want to help write that story.

“I’ve been thinking about you too,” Buffy whispered. She stared down at her pink tipped toes. She brought her eyes up to meet his and shyly added, “My name is Buffy.”

“My name is William, William Nagle,” Spike replied, not letting her know that he already knew her name. He was afraid of doing anything to spook her. “But my friends call me Spike.”

“I like William.”

With that, he decided he did too, especially when it flowed from her lips. Spike took her hand as he turned back toward the hotel. He wanted more than just an innocent romantic gesture of a walk on the beach. He wanted to get to know the woman that was Buffy.

“Let’s go and get a drink,” Spike said. “Maybe share a bottle of wine and you can tell me all about you.”

Buffy wouldn’t move and when he turned back to her, she was staring at her feet again. Was she really this shy? Or was she playing hard to get? Suddenly he had second thoughts. His mind started reminding him of every reason why he shouldn’t pursue her. Yet there was something inside of him that told him not to let her go…not yet anyway. With his finger he lifted her chin.

“Do you want me to leave you alone?” He asked, crossing his toes as he waited.

Her eyes were brilliant with her forced courage when she looked up. Her chin jutted out while her shoulders went back. Ah, she did have fortitude. He liked it. Forcing a smile from his lips he waited for what she had to say.

“I’m only nineteen,” Buffy said. “So, wine and me are not very legal together.”

His resolve crumbled around him. Spike laughed. He couldn’t help it. His hands covered his face as he shook with the travesty before him. He had known she was young but she was really only a baby. Twelve years his junior, unable to consume alcohol by law, this was most definitely not where he needed to be. Finally swallowing back the laughter caused by the colossal joke played upon him by fate, he looked up. She was gone.

Buffy was returning to the hotel at a near jog. He had been heartless. Consumed by his own despair and self-loathing he had hurt her feelings. Taking off at a run, he pursued her.

“Buffy, stop, please,” Spike shouted. “Let me explain.” She didn’t stop. “Oh, come on take pity on an old man.”

She slowed and it was all he needed. Sprinting, he closed the last few feet between them. He grabbed her hand, pulling her around to face him. There was so much grief on her face that it tore through his heart. A sob welled up from deep inside of her, exploding between them, and he gathered her close to him.

“Oh, pet, who has hurt you so much?” Spike cooed. “I’m sorry if I’ve only made things worse. I’m such a jackass sometimes.”

“Yes, you were,” Buffy sniffled against his shoulder.

Her arms tightened around his waist as if he was the harbor in her storm. It made him feel like he hadn’t in forever. Someone needed him. He tried not to let her down. He rocked her back and forth while his hands coasted along her back. She started to quiet, relaxing even more against him. Her legs fell open until the sweet juncture of her thighs was resting against his leg. His mind tried to think of anything but the feeling of her body against his. But it didn’t listen to him. His cock became hard, erecting a barricade between them.

Embarrassed by his body’s betrayal, Spike took a step backwards. How could he apologize? He couldn’t very well say, oh, I’m sorry but I would really like to make love to you for hours even though you seem to be in an emotional quandary and are way too young for me. So, he kept his mouth shut, fidgeting as he looked, somewhere over her shoulder.

“I’d like a cup of coffee,” Buffy said, touching his hand to gain his attention. “And you can tell me all about you.”

She was smiling when he looked at her. It was a kind smile. There was no righteous indignation at his body’s reaction to her. He relaxed.

“Yeah, a cup of coffee would be good,” Spike agreed. “But I have a feeling you are much more interesting than I could ever be.”

“Doubt it,” Buffy declared, curling her hand around his. “We’ll figure it out later.”

The walk back into the hotel was made in silence. Their hands were tightly entwined though, and every once in a while they would brush against one another as people do when they are thinking about being intimate with each other. Her breast against his arm or her hip bouncing beside his was all it took to keep him in an aroused state. He wondered if he was having the same effect on her or if she was lost in whatever had made her cry. It was probably a boy that had broken her heart. He would be her vacation rebound, revenge affair and would only be remembered fondly years later.

“Quit thinking about it,” Buffy whispered in his ear as they stepped into the hotel coffee shop. “You look grumpy enough to bite someone’s head off.”

He laughed, enjoying the way her face lit up as he did. “Was only wondering who broke your heart, that’s all.”

“Only an Angel,” Buffy said. She dropped his hand as she slid into one side of a booth. He wanted to sit beside her, but instead slid into the seat across from her. It was the proper thing to do. “What brings you here?” She reached for a menu, closing the subject of her broken heart for the moment. It only filled him with more questions that he was determined to have answers for.

The package was too pretty to be unwrapped. A mystery that he wanted to solve in delightful steps that would have her forgetting her ‘angel’. He studied her for a moment before reaching for a menu himself. They didn’t speak for a few minutes as they studied their choices. When the waitress came to take their orders, Buffy only ordered coffee. He ordered the same and a slice of apple pie ala mode, hoping that she would help him eat it.

“I’m here on business,” Spike finally answered her question. “My agent lives in town so I drove up to see him.”

“Agent for…?”

She didn’t know who he was and Spike wasn’t sure if he should be insulted or not. He decided it was refreshing to have someone that he didn’t have to live up to his image with. In a way it made him relax about being with her. There wasn’t much chance of this get together making the society column in the morning.

“I’m a writer,” Spike said, “of novels.”

“Really,” Buffy seemed impressed. “What genre do you write?”

“Science fiction and fantasy pretty much covers it. Have you ever heard of the Dust at Midnight series?”

“Sorry, I haven’t,” Buffy replied. “I don’t usually read stuff like that. Books and me are kind of unmixy.”

“Like you and wine?”

“Something like that,” Buffy answered with a chuckle. “Are you famous?”

“Something like that,” Spike replied. “It depends on who you ask.”

“Ah,” Buffy said, pulling her hands from the table so the waitress could put their order down. “I guess I’ll start asking until I find out.”

Spike liked the longing in her eyes when she stared at his dessert. After thanking their waitress, he took a big spoonful to hold out to Buffy. She shook her head, but he didn’t back off.

“You know you want a bite,” he whispered seductively. “It’s going to be like sin on your tongue. Rich, sweet, vanilla, cinnamon…”

“Okay, okay,” Buffy said, opening her mouth for him to put the spoonful in.

It wasn’t the only thing he wanted to put there. A certain part of his anatomy was getting harder by the moment. The expression on her face didn’t help. Her eyes closed in almost orgasmic bliss as she savored the bite. A flash of her beneath him, crying out his name, filled his mind. His cock hardened more, making him shift to make himself more comfortable. He wanted this girl more than he had wanted anyone in a long time. He decided he’d find a way to have her before they parted ways.

“Was it good for you?” Spike asked smiling as she opened those eyes darkened with pleasure.

“Oh, yeah,” Buffy acknowledged with an enthusiastic nod. “I’ve been trying not to eat anything like that and that,” she sighed, “was just wonderful.”

“Hmm, everyone should indulge occasionally, even you.”

“Do you think I’m fat?” Buffy asked, looking down at herself.

“I think you’re perfect just the way you are.”

She looked up at him sharply, studied him for a moment then smiled. “You, sir, are trying to flatter me.”

“Is it working?”

Buffy laughed, as she shook her head. At least she wasn’t angry about him flirting with her. It had been so long since he had tried to impress anyone that he wasn’t sure what response he would receive. It felt good to have this beautiful, young woman smiling at him. So good, that he was humming on the inside from the thought of getting to know her better. He quickly decided that he wouldn’t be checking out in the morning as planned. A day or two wouldn’t matter either way. It was one of the blessings of not having any responsibility to anyone but himself.

“Maybe,” Buffy answered. “It depends on whether you share anymore of that pie with me.”

“Have all you want, pet, all you want.”

She did. He thought it was one of the sexiest sights he’d ever seen. The girl showed her enjoyment with every bite. Little earthy moans were expelled every once in awhile. It kept him in a state of arousal as he watched. She had taken the spoon and every couple of bites she’d feed him. If they weren’t in a public place he would probably throw her on the table and have his way with her. He wanted those little sounds she made to flow into his ear as he thrust into her tiny body.

“Thank you,” Buffy said, as she swallowed the last bite. “I haven’t enjoyed something so much in a long while.”

“Me neither,” Spike said, leaning on the table toward her. He watched her dab at her mouth with a napkin. Everything she did was erotic to him. It was probably just because he hadn’t been laid in months. It took too much effort to try to find someone who wanted only a one night stand that wouldn’t take it public. So, lately it had only been his hand and him. “Are you on vacation?”

“Yes,” Buffy nodded slowly. “I’m taking some time to figure out what I want to do.”

“Because your ‘angel’ broke your heart?”

“That,” Buffy replied, twisting the napkin. “And other things.” She sighed. “I should probably go up to my room.”

It wasn’t even nine yet, but his instincts were telling him that Buffy was walking along an edge. She was trying to be happy, but there was the sadness that still clung just below the surface. He would let her go for now, but he wasn’t giving up.

“May I walk you to your room?”

“I would like that,” Buffy replied.

Spike quickly dispensed with the formality of paying their bill so he could escort her. This time they didn’t touch. She stood apart from him while they walked. The air crackled between them and he was confused as to whether she wanted him to make a pass or not. So, he did nothing except be a gentleman. She was located a few floors below his where the more inexpensive rooms were.

“Thank you for the coffee,” Buffy politely said when they stepped off the elevator. “And the pie,” she added with a grin.

“It was my pleasure,” Spike said. He waited a few beats but she didn’t say anything more. It was now or never so he rushed out the question that was tormenting him. “Do you have plans tomorrow?”

“Not so far.” She pulled a magnetic key from her back pocket and began to fiddle with the door. It was evident that she was waiting for him to say more.

“Oh,” Spike said, shrugging before leaning casually against the door frame. He’d decided to tease her a bit before asking her to spend time with him. “Neither do I. How strange the two of us without plans for the whole day. Well, I guess I’ll hole up in my room and watch movies.” He straightened up and started to turn, but had no intention of leaving.

“Do you want company?”

Her question was such a surprise it stopped him. He turned slowly to look at her. She was staring at him expectantly. He took a step closer to her, reaching for her hand and clasping it tightly.

“I would love to spend the day with you,” Spike said. “But how about we go out somewhere, have lunch, maybe take in some sights…”

“There are sights in Sunnydale?” Buffy asked, with a chuckle. “There’s not a lot around here.”

“I’m sure we can find something to get into,” Spike told her with a rakish grin. “How about I call you in the morning? We can plan our day over breakfast.”

It wasn’t what he really wanted. What he wanted was to carry her into her room, make love to her all night, then have breakfast in bed. Make love again, then decide what to do with the rest of their day. But it wasn’t time. If it ever would be for them. His emotions and head kept sliding to both extremes of the scale when it came to Buffy. They never did seem to agree.

“All right,” Buffy replied. She cupped his cheek, brushing her thumb along his cheek before lifting up on her toes to kiss the corner of his mouth. “Good night, William.”

With that she was gone. His fingers traced the spot where her lips had been. It still burned from the contact. Standing there, staring at a closed door, his heart was cracking open for the first time in years. Whistling, he headed for his room, already planning the next day.

to be continued…