Title: Boys Like William

Author: Nicky

Written For:Jo (Spikesbabyblues)

Summary: Buffy Summers has it all. She is head cheerleader, prom-queen and officially the most popular girl in school. But a project forces her to spend some time with geek-to-the-core William Giles, who’s life seems to be crumbling around him. Can she help? And more importantly…why does she want to?

Rating: NC-17 (If you’re patient…)

Warnings: The only real warning that I have is that this is a WILLIAM story. At NO point, will Spike appear. Give it a chance, but if you REALLY can’t stand William/Buffy relationships then don’t read…otherwise, enjoy!

Distribution: As always, if you want it, have it, just let me know, and don’t change a damn thing.

Disclaimer: You think that I’d be writing fictions if the characters belonged to me? I’d be making movies….lots of Buffy/Spike movies. (Not rude ones of course…:P)



This fic was written for the William Ficathon held by eurydice72, and was written for my wonderful friend Spikesbabyblues. Hope you all enjoy it! I love writing it.




Chapter One

As always, the atmosphere was like a scene from a movie, in the open grounds of Sunnydale High. Cheerleaders flipped, jocks watched and whistled, geeks and nerds sat and read books, and of course the ‘stoners’ sat on the benches smoking hash, while the ‘norms’ just grouped together, talking about the normal things going on in their overly normal lives.

William Giles wasn’t really sure where he fit in. He wore glasses and let his wild, curly hair stand free. He read books and wrote poetry. He practically lived in the school library (which was conveniently run by his Uncle Rupert)…all these things pointed out the obvious conclusion that he was a geek. The only thing that told anybody otherwise was his friends.

Willow was a geek, with her long read hair, striped tops, dungarees, and the fact that she always had a book on her, anywhere she went…but she had a cool side too, and many of the other kids took notice of that, registering her as one of the ‘normal kids’.

Xander was just as hard to place. Although he didn’t smoke, he was often referred to as a ‘stoner’ due to his lack of intellectual ability, and his dumb comments. He was the class clown, and so was in a reference of his own anyway, so the other students enjoyed his company and often-trouble-making sarcasm.

William was just…William.

Sometimes he seemed to be screaming for attention, while other times he would shrink into himself and hope that he would go unnoticed.

Like now for instance, when Angel O’Connor was approaching him.

Angel was The Jock. He was the leader of the popular pack, even though he was even less endowed in the education department than Xander.

He came up with stupid comments, stupid ideas, and stupid insults, and still all the popular students worshipped him. Angel always liked fights too…mostly with people who wouldn’t hit back…and that normally meant William. That’s why he liked to shrink anytime Angel was near.

“Hey, Giles.”

Upon hearing his name leave the jock’s mouth, William closed his eyes and hoped that it was only an insult coming his way.

“Ugh…yeah?”

“I have something for you.” Angel laughed, slowly walking towards him.

“You do? What is it?” William whimpered, knowing very well what little ‘present’ was in store for him.

“This.” It was then that Angel’s fist came into contact with William’s face. The harsh noise of skin hitting skin echoed around for only a moment, before it was interrupted by Angel’s cackling.

William looked up at him then, the blank expression on his face contrasting perfectly to the one of utter joy on Angel’s. He felt Xander’s arm come around him, pulling him away from the bully, and he sighed, thankful of Xander’s presence.

* * *

As always Buffy Summers stood back and watched, trying not to look as mortified as she felt watching the sandy-haired boy stumble away.

Once her boyfriend turned back to her she tried to look nonchalant.

“I swear Angel…one day he’s going to hit you back.”

She heard her boyfriend laugh as he placed his arm back in its place around her shoulder. “Nah…that pussy? Course he won’t.”

“Whatever. I’m just saying, you should lay off of him…what’s he ever done to you?”

Angel took his arm from around his girlfriend’s shoulders and sighed. “Do you have a thing for the geek or something Buffy? Because…I can’t see your problem.”

“Well, that’s just because you’re a big jerk. You think you have the right to bully people just because you’re on the football team.”

“Get a life, Buff. Go and nurse your little boyfriend better. Go on, I saw him run in the direction of the library.”

Buffy shook her head and rolled her eyes. “God, you’re such an asshole.”

Although he was pissed off at her, Angel couldn’t help but tilt his head and study her ass as she walked away, confidently shaking her hips.

Without even looking around, Angel addressed his friend.

“Hey, Gunn. You coming or not?”

The tall, black boy looked over at his friend. “Not currently, but I’m working on it.”

The girl he was trying to impress only giggled, even though the comment was obviously directed at her. Angel sighed, knowing that Buffy would have found that comment an insult. She was getting so uptight lately.


* * *

For a while, Buffy did actually look for William Giles. Poking her head in the cafeteria, some empty classes, looking around the back of the buildings where he might be hiding from Angel. She’d even spoken to his friend Xander, but he said he wasn’t sure where he was. Just as she decided to look in the library, someone shouted her over.

Turning around, she saw her best friend. “Cordy, hi.” She smiled, walking over to the leggy brunette.

“Hey. What’re you doing?”

Buffy sighed. “Looking for William Giles. Angel hit him before, and I feel kind of bad about it.”

Cordelia snorted. “What would you say? ‘Sorry that Angel hit’s you…duck next time?’. Come on Buffy. We both know that Angel’s going to do it again. You really shouldn’t bother.”

Buffy considered this, looking around one last time. She didn’t see him. “Ok. I guess you’re right.”

The other cheerleader giggled. “Hello? Of course I am.”

Shaking her head Buffy smiled and walked to her next class with her best friend.


* * *

2 Minutes Earlier

“Oh God, Xander. Don’t let her see me.”

Xander Harris rolled his eyes. William always talked about how he wanted Buffy Summers to notice him, and now she was near, and he was hiding.

“She can’t see you. Oh god, wait…she’s coming over.”

Before Xander could convince him to stay, William ran into the nearest empty classroom.

Xander rolled his eyes again.

“Hi, I’m looking for William Giles. Do you know where he is?”

Xander grinned. Alright, Summers was popular and stuck up…but there was a reason behind it. She was HOT!

“Hi, Buffy Summers, right?”

The cheerleader nodded. “You know where he is?”

Xander clapped his hands together and looked around. “Why?”

Buffy closed her eyes, placing her hand on her forehead. “I don’t know. It’s hard to explain…oh, you know what? Never mind. Don’t even tell him I was looking for him.”

Then she walked off, leaving Xander to watch her butt without anybody noticing. He could get banged up well and good for looking at Angel O’Connor’s girlfriend.

“What did she say?” William asked, his hair askew and out of breath.

Xander smiled. “Nothing. She was looking for you, but she didn’t say why.”

William grabbed his books from the floor where he’d dropped them in his hurry and then looked at Xander.

“Yeah, she was probably coming for a laugh. ‘Hi, just wanted to see what my guy did to your face THIS time’.” Then he sighed and looked down at one of his books. “God, Xan. I just wish she’d notice me.”

The brunette shook his head and slapped his friend on the back.

“Well, you have English with her now, right? Why don’t you talk to her then?”

William looked at Xander as if he were an alien. “Yeah, as if that’s gonna happen.”


* * *

“Buffy Summers, do you have a problem?”

The cheerleader’s eyes widened with surprise as she turned toward the teacher. She smiled guiltily. “Um…no?”

“So, why do you feel the need to talk over me?”

“Well, Kendra just asked why I was arguing with Angel, so I said-”

Rolling her eyes the teacher stopped her. “That’s enough Buffy. I’d like you to come and sit here at the front please.”

When her eyes fell upon the seat she had to sit at, and the person in the seat next to it, Buffy felt a wave of guilt wash over her.

Oh god…

She did as she was told, collecting her stuff, miming ‘tell you later’ to Kendra, before shuffling around the class to take her new seat.

* * *

William had been listening to Jonathan talking, trying to ignore the teacher having a conversation with a student. It was Buffy Summers. Pretty as hell, but probably more stuck up than the rest of the populars put together. She was head-cheerleader, and William had, had a crush on her right through his early teens, only getting over the fantasy that he actually had a chance once her boyfriend had started using his face as target practise.

…but now the teacher was pointing in his direction and he turned, looking up. She
wasn’t pointing at him, but at the seat next to him…and Buffy Summers was heading his way.

Oh god…

He turned back to Jonathan now, hoping that she’d leave him alone if he faced the opposite way. His hopes, however, were dashed when he felt a light tap on his shoulder. He cautiously turned, fixing his glasses as he went.

“Hi. You’re William Giles right?” Buffy asked sitting down next to him and smiling widely.

“Um…well…ugh, I mean yeah.”

Buffy laughed. He was cute. All stuttery and glasses-fixy. “Well I’m Bu-”

“Buffy Summers. I know.”

“Yeah, of course you do. My boyfriend is the reason for your permanent nosebleed.”

William smiled slightly, knowing there was more to it than just that, but deciding to agree.

“So you um….you get in trouble back there?” he asked, trying to make conversation before awkward silence took its hold.

“Oh, yeah. Tried to tell Kendra why me and Angel were arguing, but I got caught.”

This, even to him – a library-loving-geek – was interesting news. “Really? You and Angel?”

Buffy sighed. “He’s a jerk…”

William had to try hard not to nod in agreement. “Oh?”

“…but I guess you’d know first hand, huh?”

“I guess.”

Buffy sighed again. “I was kinda looking for you before. I just wanted to see if you were alright. I saw him hit you.”

William didn’t know why he was so touched. She was only seeing if he was ok, but to him it seemed like an incredible gesture.

“Well…yeah, I’m fine. Didn’t bruise this time…see?” He pulled his glasses from his face, pointed to his left cheek and smiled, looking at her from under his long eyelashes.

“Yeah…” she nodded “At least you have that.”

“MISS SUMMERS! YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO BE ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS ABOUT CHAPTER 54!”

Buffy raised her eyebrows at the teacher before turning back to William and whispering.

“So…you know anything about Dickens?”


To be continued....