Hey...thanks for my reviews so far, enjoy this chapter, it was quite fun to write. x



Chapter 5

Willow sat quietly at their lunch table, waiting for William.

She’d been walking on eggshells all week. It had only taken William two days to forgive her for upsetting Buffy, but he’d warned her that next time he wouldn’t be so forgiving.

She was still trying to figure out Buffy’s game. She was beyond sure that it had to be some kind of bet or something. All his school-life William had been secretly ‘in love’ with her, yet it was only now that the cheerleader paid any notice.

She sighed, resting her chin on her hand as she waiting.

Xander was off school. He was always off school a few days before ‘the big event’. Every year without fail, he would call her up and tell her he was too busy ‘preparing’ to bother with schoolwork.

She smiled as she saw William approaching. She needed a favour.

As he sat down, her saw the odd look on her face and smirked slightly. “What can I do for you Willow?”

She gave him the puppy dog eyes and leaned forward excitedly. “I know you won’t like the idea, but I really need you to do something for me.”

He asked her what is was, groaning inwardly before she even asked. This couldn’t be good.

“I need you to put yourself up for auction at the charity auction tomorrow night.”

As soon as she said the words ‘up for auction’ William had begun shaking his head vigorously, trying to stand up from the table.

“William, sit down…please? I need you to do this for me!”

Her friend did sit back down, but he was still shaking his head. “No, Willow. That is one situation I promised I would never find myself in.”

Willow knew this, but what could go wrong if she was guaranteed to bid on him? “Yeah, but I want to do my part. Give money to charity…I just don’t want to bid on Angel or any of his goofy jock-friends.”

William was adamant that he wouldn’t do it. Every year as he watched the jocks strutting around up on stage, he would think about how embarrassing it would be to have to do that, and so this was one favour that she would have to do without.

“So bid on Xander.”

Willow shook her head. “I bid on Xander last year.”

William shrugged. “What’s your point?”

Last year when she’d bid on Xander, he had been upset. He got to spend all his time with Willow, he’d hoped for a night with another girl for once…like a date. Once again using her puppy-dog eyes, Willow pouted.

William was unable to stand it. “You know what? Alright…but I swear Willow, anything goes wrong up there…you’re dead.”

* * *

Angel opened his wardrobe door and stood in front of the mirror. He winked at himself once, before turning round to face Buffy.

“Well? How do I look?”

Without even looking up from her work, Buffy replied, “Wonderful.”

Angel walked over to her and grabbed the book from under her, throwing it across the room.

Looking up at him, Buffy tried to hide her frustration. “Sorry, I was just…writing stuff for the project.”

Angel nodded. “Seriously babe, do I look good, or do I look good?”

With a false smile, Buffy nodded. “You look good, Angel.”

* * *

Walking quickly up onto the stage, Robin Wood leaned forwards towards the microphone and coughed one, testing that it was on. As his cough echoed, he smiled and looked over the crowd.

“Ladies! Welcome to this years Sunnydale High Charity Auction!”

There was a deafening eruption of screams and whistles, and he winced, trying his hardest not to cover his ears.

This was his favourite time of year. Not only was it great to make so much money for charity, but it was wonderful to see the girls in charge of the boys for a night.

He just hoped they kept it legal this time.

“Alright, alright, Ladies. Calm down so that we can get this show on the road.”

* * *

Angel opened the curtain slightly, looking out at the crowd of excited girls.

He grinned, remembering last year’s auction. He’d made the most money for the charity, and had been top of the list for most bids. He loved being popular.

Gunn watched his friend, and smiled. “Don’t you worry that you’ll get won by some geek and have to spend the evening doing what she says?”

Shrugging, Angel shook his head. “I’m not worried …I know for sure that Buffy will out-bid anybody in this crowd.”

Gunn nodded, poking his head out of the curtain slightly before pulling it back in with a wide grin. “Well…I heard that Faith Daniels was bidding on me.”

Looking over at his friend with an appalled expression, Angel scrunched up his face, fixing his bow-tie. “Man, that chick is scary.”

Shaking his head, Gunn corrected his friend. “No…she is slutty. She won’t be able to walk when I’m through with her.”

The pair laughed, Angel looking around the other guys that were getting ready to go onstage. He spotted William Giles and frowned.

“What the fuck is he doing back here?”

* * *

“I can’t believe you’re actually doing this.” Xander chuckled. William’s eyes had been wide all day.

Taking off his glasses to wipe them clean, William shook his head. “Me neither.”

He could hear the screaming girls on the other side of the curtain, knowing that they were screaming for the popular boys. He had the distinct image of himself on stage, surrounded by silence as all the girls just stared at him.

“Aren’t you worried?”

Placing the glasses back on his face, and blinking a few times for his eyes to focus, William shook his head and lied, “No, I’m just nervous. What am I supposed to do while I’m up there?”

Wiggling his eyebrows, Xander checked that the Velcro on his trousers was firmly closed, ready for his surprise strip-show.

“I don’t know. Be sexy.”

Rolling his eyes, William crossed his arms over his chest, deciding to kill Willow for this.

* * *

Willow stood right by the stage, holding her money tightly in her hand. According to Xander, William was going to be auctioned-off after him.

She was thinking about exactly how much money to give, when suddenly she heard a loud shrieking. Looking up, she saw Oz, a member of the school band standing at the foot of the stage with an electric guitar slung over his shoulder.

Willow hardly knew him, but she had been crushing on him for the past few months, watching band practise on the benches. Neither William nor Xander knew of her crush.

“Daniel Osborne everyone!” Principle Wood shouted. “Can I hear twenty dollars?”

As soon as he said that, girls started shouted prices from all directions. It went from twenty dollars to seventy in what seemed like a matter of seconds.

She looked around, her eyes widening at the way the other girls were looking at Oz. She suddenly felt possessive, and before she knew it, her hand was in the air.

“One twenty!”

Oz, Principle Wood and all the other girls looked over at her shocked.

“One thirty!” Someone challenged, but Willow shook her head and once again raised her arm.

“One forty!”

This time, the other girl didn’t reply, and Principle Wood smiled. “SOLD! To Miss Willow Rosenberg for one hundred and forty dollars!”

* * *

Cordelia, Buffy and Harmony watched the display, Cordelia smiling at Oz before he walked off stage. She knew him quite well – she’d dated his friend Devon last year.

“Isn’t this wonderful?!” Harmony yelled. “We get to have any guy we like for a whole night, and he has to do whatever we say!”

Although Buffy smiled and nodded, she had quickly become bored. This would be much more fun if she was single, but just waiting out here for her boyfriend to come on stage was tedious.

“Angel always looks so sexy dressed as James Bond.” Harmony gushed.

You’re welcome to him. Buffy thought to herself, looking at her watch and sighing. Angel always insisted on being auctioned-off last.

* * *

William and Xander had just come back from the changing-room when Xander’s name was called.

He grinned as William patted him on the back, before opening the curtain and walking out onto the stage.

The music ‘You Can Leave Your Hat On’ by Tom Jones started to play, and as all the girls starts to scream, William pictured Xander ripping his trousers off.

Shaking his head with distaste, he laughed.

* * *

Buffy was almost dying from laughter as they watched Xander do his strip-tease. He really seemed to be enjoying himself.

So far, no-one had bid on him yet, but he was grinning like an idiot anyway.

Every girl in the whole place was clapping as she danced, boogying around the stage like this was what he lived for.

“Fifty dollars!”

Buffy looked over at Anya Jenkins, the newest girl in school – and renowned for her endless talk of orgasms and interlocking bodies.

She was waving her money in the air and screaming like a mad woman.

Cordelia leaned over towards Buffy. “Looks like Xander made an impression on Anya!”

The two girls giggled as Xander continued to do his thing. Principle Wood was unsure where to look as Xander slowly shed his shirt.

“Go Xander!” Buffy yelled, clapping as more and more girls started to bid on him.

Anya wasn’t giving anyone else a chance though, challenging every price. Soon they were up to one hundred and forty dollars and it became obvious that no-one was willing to even try and outbid Anya now.

With a smile- and a thank to God that Xander was finally leaving the stage- Principle Wood declared Xander ‘Property of Anya Jenkins’ for one whole night.

Xander seemed pretty pleased, to say the least.

* * *

William had grown increasingly nervous. His hands were shaking as Xander came backstage with an enormous grin.

“Who’d you get?” William asked, trying to take his mind off his own nerves.

“Anya Jenkins!” Xander replied, reaching into his bag and pulling out a new pair of trousers… “Pretty good, huh?”

William only nodded, watching as Gunn walked on stage.

* * *

Cordelia and Buffy both clapped and whistled for Gunn, seeing the look on his face when Faith Daniels won him.

“You not bidding on anyone?” Buffy yelled in Cordelia’s ear, trying to shout over the music.

Cordelia just shook her head no and mouthed ‘Jake’ as an answer, causing Buffy to smile at her smitten friend.

Looking back at the stage, Buffy waited for the next name, knowing that there couldn’t be many more left now. She just wanted to get away from there.

“Alright ladies…you need to give a warm welcome to our next boy…he’s a first-time auctionee, and needs your support. Give it up…for William Giles!”

Her eyes widening, Buffy stood open-mouthed as William nervously stepped out from behind the curtain.

He looked no different than normal, wearing light brown trousers and a chequered top. His hair was no different, and his glasses remained in place.

He seemed to be looking around for someone.



Not seeing Willow in the crowd, William just decided to stand mid-stage letting everyone clap while he waited for Willow to bid.

He almost felt tempted to sway to the beat of the music, but didn’t. The last thing he wanted to do was embarrass himself anymore.

As the time drew on, he began to look around for Willow again, this time bringing his hand up to shade his eyes from the spotlight that was on him.

He didn’t see her.

She wasn’t there.



Buffy looked around, seeing the panic on William’s face as the time drew on. A few people were clapping, sure…but no-one was bidding.

“What the hell are you doing up there?” she whispered to herself, looking down at the money in her hands.

Angel had given her this to bid on him. It was wrong to spend it on someone else….wasn’t it?



Looking around, William had never felt more humiliated in all his life. A flash of red hair caught his eye, and he focused on Willow. Behind her, stood Oz, a member of the school band – and around his neck was a sign that read “Property of Willow Rosenberg.”

Her eyes were wide like she’d only just remembered about him, and William felt bile rise up in his throat as he realised that no-one was going to bid on him.

The girls in the hall had all been clapping to the music when he’d walked out from behind the curtain, but they were just in the spirit of the auction, none of them had actually planned to even consider bidding on him.

The clapping now was beginning to dissipate and the music seems to get quieter. William’s earlier image was coming true, and his heart was beating in his ears.

In a desperate hope, he looked once more around the girls, begging them silently to bid on him, and although some of the girls looked sympathetic, not one of them even attempted to raise their hand.

His chest hurt from the embarrassment and the betrayal he felt. He really was as unpopular and undesirable as he thought he was. This was his proof.

Turning around, William nodded at Principle Wood, grinding his teeth to stop his lips from trembling as he began to walk slowly back towards the curtain.



“Two hundred dollars!”

Holding her arm up in the air, the bidder waved her money around to make sure that Principle Wood could see it.

Unable to believe his ears, William spun around quickly with a frown. Squinting beyond the lights and into the crowd, William spotted the bidder.

“Going once…going twice…SOLD to Miss Buffy Summers for two hundred dollars!”

* * *

Angel turned to Gunn with a frown. “Did I just hear what I think I heard?”

* * *

“Last but not least, we have Liam ‘Angel’ O’Connor. Thought we’d save the best until last for you lucky ladies tonight. Here he is, come on out Angel!”

Angel wiped the sour look from his face and placed his sunglasses on, once again straightening his tie.

As he walked out from behind the curtain, a riot of screams and whistles started. Anyone else would be slightly disturbed, but Angel only smirked and walked to the end of the cat-walk, grinning like the Cheshire-cat at any girls who caught his eye.

“Come on ladies, don’t be shy. Do I hear thirty dollars?”

“Thirty!”

“Fifty!”

“Seventy Five Dollars”

“Eighty Dollars!”

“Eighty five dollars!”

“Eighty Six Dollars!”

“One Hundred and Fifty Dollars!”

“Do I hear One-Seventy? One-Sixty?” Looking around the crowd, Principle Wood laughed and shook his head. “Then Liam O’Connor is SOLD to Kathy Newman for one hundred and fifty dollars!”

Hearing the name, Angel turned around to the curtain to see Gunn laughing.

“Oh no…”

* * *

Buffy waited by William’s car. She hadn’t seen him yet, and was nervous about it.

She knew that he was going to ask why she’d bid on him – and it was something she was wondering herself. Although she was unsure what it meant – Buffy had been upset by the hurt on William’s face.

That didn’t forgive the fact that she’d bid with Angel’s money though. She’d have to repay him. He’d probably be really pissed, but right now her nerves where out-weighing that worry.

Hearing Anya’s loud voice, she saw Xander and William coming out of the school. He looked up at her for a second before looking down at the floor again. Xander shouted goodbye, but William just waved, without looking up.

As he approached, Buffy put a smile on her face. “Well Stud, looks like you’re mine for the night.”

William nodded, and she could see his brain ticking – he was obviously desperate to know why she’d bid on him.

“…and before you even ask why I bid on you, don’t. I forbid you from doing so…and as you’re my property until the clock strikes twelve…you have to do what I say.”

William replaced his pensive look with a smile, and opened his car, walking around to open the door for her.

She thanked him and climbed inside, buckling herself in and waiting for him to do the same.

“So, Miss. Where would you like to go?”

With a grin, Buffy turned to him. “Cordelia is having a pool-party…we could go there for a little while. Angel was supposed to be there, but I heard that Kathy Newman won him, so I think that is out of the question.”

William looked a little uncomfortable. “I’m not really the ‘strip off all my clothes and have a party’ kind of person.”

Buffy had suspected so, but she pushed on anyway. “Well, Anya will be there with Xander, so we could go for a little while. I won’t make you strip-off…girl scouts honour.”

She clapped and ‘yayed’ as William turned on the engine and pulled out of the parking-lot in the direction of Cordelia’s house.

* * *

William was in awe as Cordelia opened the door to her massive home. He’d never seen the inside of these posh houses, and it was everything he’d expected.

The décor was mainly emerald green with gold lining, and deep-cherry wood flooring. It seemed as if each room could fit his whole house inside it.

Buffy smiled at his wondering eyes, before saying ‘hi’ to Jake.

“So…this is Spiderman.” Jake smiled.

William looked confused, but Buffy gave a little giggle and nodded. “Yep. My hero.”

Butting in, Cordelia handed both William and Jake a glass of whiskey each, before shaking her head. “No, more like you’re his hero. You really saved his ass tonight.”

Buffy agreed, taking a sip from the Martini Cordelia had handed her. “He’s owes me.”

She nudged William to let him know she was kidding, accidentally making him spill his drink down himself.

He looked up at her wide-eyed, then at Jake who had begun to chuckle slightly. “Man, I would kill her if she did that to me.” He joked, indicating Cordelia.

“I am so sorry!” Buffy squeaked with her hand over her mouth.

She grabbed his glass, placing it down on the table as she dragged him towards the bathroom.

He let himself be tugged up the stairs still trying to wipe at his soaked shirt. They stopped outside the bathroom and Buffy began knocking, getting more and more frantic as she was ignored.

“Hey! Get your ass out here!” she yelled, crossing her arms over her chest as a couple opened the door looking slightly embarrassed. Buffy huffed, whispering “Can’t you get a room?!” as she stomped past them, pulling William with her.

“I really am sorry about this. I normally have wonderful co-ordination.” She pulled on the roll of tissue-paper until she had a bundle of it in her hand, and then she passed it to him.

“It’s okay, really.” He stated, taking it from her and beginning to wipe himself down.

Watching him, Buffy felt really bad. Trying to help, she pointed out, “You may need to take your shirt off if it won’t dry.”

William looked up at her for a moment, then tilted his head to the side, narrowing his eyes playfully.

“I thought you said that you wouldn’t make me strip-off.”

* * *

Fifteen minutes later, the pair descended the stairs, William’s shirt was looking no better than when they had gone up.

“Fifteen minutes…not bad, a lot of guys are finished in two.” Cordelia giggled as William blushed. “I’m just kidding, book-boy.”

Buffy sighed deeply. “We’re gonna go, Cordy. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

With a wink, Cordelia smiled. “Bright and early.”

She saw the pair out, waving as the car pulled away, before returning back inside to Jake, who’d refilled her glass.

“Why bright and early?” he asked, holding it out to her.

“Cheerleading Practise.” Cordelia smiled, accepting the drink from him.

It was early morning before anyone else left the house, despite the fact that the “dates” officially finished at midnight.

* * *

In the car, Buffy looked over at William, who was quiet. “I’m sorry that we didn’t get to see Xander at the party.”

He shook his head, glancing over at her.

“It’s alright, he was probably in the pool anyway, showing off his body…again. Besides, we had a nice meal, didn’t we?”

That couldn’t be denied. They’d left in search of food, and had found a nice little Italian place that was practically empty.

They had eaten quietly, indulging in conversation about random topics while waiting for their food to arrive.

Afterwards they had gone for a walk by the docks, despite the fact that it was kind of cold there…and then Buffy had looked at her watch and sighed.

It had been 11.45.


William pulled his car into Buffy’s drive, walking around the car to open her door for her.

Looking at her watch again, Buffy smiled. “You realise it’s one minute past twelve…you didn’t have to open my door for me.”

Frowning for a second, William smiled. “You thought I was doing that because I had to?”

Realising that she should have known better, Buffy smiled back and began to walk up her path. He hesitated a moment, before following her.

She smiled as they stepped onto her porch. “I had a really nice night. Thank you.”

Shaking his head, William looked up from the floor of her porch. “No. Thank you.”

“I don’t mean to sound…well, I mean….what where you doing up there tonight?”

William sighed, shaking his head as he looked around. – He didn’t know. The same thought has been running through his own mind for the past few hours. How could he have done that to himself?

“Willow asked me to do it. She wanted to do her part…give money to charity, but she didn’t have anyone to bid on…so she persuaded me to do it.”

“Where was she?”

It was after Buffy’s question, that she remembered Willow bidding on Oz.

“I don’t know. When I couldn’t see her in the crowd I almost fainted.” He paused, looking around for a second.

“I saw her bidding on Oz.” Buffy stepped closer to him, placing her hands in her pockets and moving from foot to foot – something that William associated with nervousness.

“She looked really into it. I’m sure that she never meant to leave you up there like that.”

William doubted it…and Buffy could tell by the look on his face.

“Will, I’m serious. She’s your friend. Maybe she just really likes Oz.”

Although he nodded, Buffy knew he was just trying to shut her up. He obviously didn’t want to talk about it. She still remembered the look on his face when he’d realised that Willow had already bid on Oz.

“Why’d you bid on me?”

It was direct, straight to the point – and really unlike him. Buffy sighed, taking her hand out of her pocket to squeeze his wrist. She didn’t look into his eyes.

“Was it pity?”

He knew he was pushing her – but after tonight he’d decided upon a “no more Mr. Nice-Guy” approach, and so right now, he didn’t care if he was scaring her away. He just wanted an answer for once.

“No. It wasn’t pity. I mean…I did feel sorry for you, but so did everyone else. I just bid on you because…I kinda care. You’re my friend. I could see the hurt in your eyes, and it hurt me. I don’t know what that means…I’m confused about a lot of things right now.”

Nodding, William sighed. “About me.”

“No.” Buffy countered, shaking her head. “About me. I shouldn’t feel the way I do…about you, about school…about anything. It’s like I’m a completely different person. I just want to jump into anything to deep before I even figure out who I’ve become. I could drown.”

Placing his hands on the railings of her porch, William tried not to blurt it all out, but it didn’t work.

“I already have drowned. Can’t you see? You make me feel alive, Buffy. I’ve never felt warmer than when you look into my eyes.”

Buffy had become silent. She had suspected…but never would she have imagined shy, vulnerable William confessing all of this to her. She thought that she’d have enough time to analyse her own feelings before he even attempted to clue her in on his own…but there it was. There he was, and she could take it or leave it.

Angel had never said anything even resembling those words to her, and she felt her heart opening to William before she could even think about what letting him in would cause.

In a few steps she was in front of him, her hands on his face as she stared into his eyes.

Their lips were inches apart, their eyes closed, their hearts open…and then just before their lips met, an image flashed inside Buffy’s head.

Angel.

Wide-eyed, she drew away quickly, her heartbeat quickening. Her heart almost crumbled in her chest when she saw the look on his face. It was the second time that night she’d seen that emotion in his eyes. Hurt, embarrassment…betrayal.

“I’m sorry. We…we can’t do this.”

It was then that she realised it…all this friendship would bring them was hurt. They were both so obviously attracted to each other, but their relationship was forbidden. They were like Romeo and Juliet.

Neither of them would be able to handle the consequences of a relationship, no matter how hard they were willing to try – and even their friendship was dangerous.

“I have to go.” She whispered, pulling her keys from her pocket and walking over to the door. Without looking back at him, she began to speak as she tried to open the locks.

“I can’t believe we almost did that. Don’t you see what you’re getting yourself into? This is bad, I’m bad. You need to stay away from me, before something like his happens again.”

Shaking his head, William lost all his bravado and his eyes became wide. She was trying to lock him out – not just out of her home, but of her life.

He stepped forwards. “I’m sorry…alright? Can’t we just forget about it and go back to the way things were?”

Shaking her head, Buffy finally got the door open. “No…you’ll just end up getting hurt.”

Stepping inside, she turned to him, and as much as she tried to avoid his gaze, their eyes met and her heart stumbled in her chest. She began to close the door but he put his foot in the way and grabbed her arm. “Buffy…”

Almost in tears, Buffy wrenched her arm from his grasp. “Get off of me!”

…and William stood alone in the porch as she locked the door behind her, not even sparing him a glance from behind the diamonds of frosted glass.


To be continued…



Nicky: Okay, so I said NO angst of this kind...but...it is serious angst, and it does get worse as the story continues.

Hope you liked it, and PLEASE review. XXX