Chapter 6

William’s alarm clock was beeping, but he didn’t want to move.

He hadn’t slept at all. He’d just laid there thinking of last nights events. Questions like ‘How could I have been so stupid?’ were circulating his brain, and he felt like he was about to explode from the anger he felt towards himself, and towards her.

If she liked him – truly liked him – then why couldn’t she just accept it?

He heard his mother’s voice from downstairs, shouting up at him that it was time to wake up.

Groaning, he sat up, letting out and enormous yawn before placing his glasses on the bridge of his nose.

He waited a second for his eyes to focus, before standing up and walking into the bathroom to shower.

* * *

“Alright, bye honey.”

Nodding to her mother, Buffy slid out of the car, slamming the door behind her and not even turning to wave as Joyce drove off.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw William old, beaten-up car pulling into a driving space, and she gasped, turning around and lowering her head, hoping that he wouldn’t notice it was her.


“…and then, Anya told me that she couldn’t resist my body, and that was why she bid on me…oh, and yeah…she liked my dancing too!”

William nodded at Xander unenthusiastically, climbing out of his car and slamming the door. Xander had been talking about Anya non-stop since he’d gotten in the car ten minutes ago, and it niggled William slightly, how perfect Xander’s night seemed to have been. William just listened though. He turned to lock the car and something caught his eye.

It was Buffy, standing alone with her back to him. She obviously didn’t want him to see her.

Shaking his head, William locked the car, looking over at her as she turned to see if he was gone yet. Their eyes met.


She turned, and William was still there, and worse…he’d spotted her. She watched him as he nodded towards her in acceptance, and then walked into the school.

She closed her eyes and let out a long sigh.

It was going to be a long day.

* * *

Buffy’s first two classes flew by, and she hadn’t seen anything of Angel, Cordelia or William. This was kind of a relief to her, although she did feel a little lonely.

Angel probably wasn’t talking to her, and she’d heard Kathy Newman talking in History about how great their date had been, although she doubted that he felt the same.

She was sure that he wouldn’t understand why she bid on William either, Angel seemed to be void of emotion towards anyone other than himself, so she had that lecture to look forward to.

Her next class was free, and then she had English – with William.

She had nowhere to go right now, but she didn’t want to be carrying her books with her wherever she went – so she went to her locker to put them away.

Still there was no sign of her friends, and so she just closed her locker door and began walking towards the cafeteria – she could usually get away with sitting there during her free, and she’d just wait for Cordelia to show up.

Suddenly, she looked up.

Although she’d been looking at the floor, she had sensed him. William. Lifting her head, she let her eyes scour the crowded hallway, and as her eyes finally settled on him, her heart leapt in her chest.

Turning quickly, she walked into a nearby classroom out of sight.

* * *

“William.”

Without even turning around, William groaned. “Leave me alone.”

She knew he was going to say that. Closing her eyes, Willow sighed loudly, and put her hand on his arm. “Just talk to me, please.”`

Just like Buffy had done the night before, William wrenched his arm free of Willow’s grasp and turned to her. “I have nothing to say to you.”

The red head’s eyes were large in a way that always made William forgive her – until now.

He knew that if his night with Buffy had gone well, William probably would have forgiven Willow for it all, even thanking her…but because the night had gone so badly – he wasn’t feeling as forgiving.

“Look, I don’t see what’s so bad. You got a whole night with Buffy. If I’d have bid on you, our night would have been normal. I got to spend four hours with Oz…the one from the school band?”

Grinding his teeth, William shook his head at her. “I know who he is, and yeah…I’m happy that you got to spend sometime with a guy that wasn’t me or Xander – but trust me, the night with Buffy? Not. A. Good. Thing.”

Although Willow wasn’t surprised, she frowned anyway just for show and sighed.

“I really am sorry. I thought that it’d worked out pretty well for us both, but apparently not.”

Although William knew that Xander would be hanging around Anya all day, and sending Willow away would mean that he was alone – he did it anyway.

“Look…I’m glad you had fun, and all that Willow, but quite frankly, there is nothing you can say that will make me want to have you around right now. Okay? So just drop it…go and find Oz.”

...and with that, he stormed away.

* * *

A few minutes later, Buffy popped her head out of the classroom to see if William was gone. He was, and so she sighed, resting her head against the doorframe.

“Buffy!”

She jumped, holding her hand over her chest as she stared wide-eyed at Cordelia.

“Huh?”

With her hands on her hips and a disapproving look on her face, Cordelia looked inside the empty classroom, and frowned. “What are you doing in here? Are you hiding from Angel?”

It was Buffy’s turn to frown, and she shook her head. “Angel? Why would I hide from Angel?”

Cordelia sighed, shaking her head and leaning closer to her friend. Gently, she whispered, “…because someone told him that you kissed William last night.”

When Buffy remained silent, Cordelia gasped. “You didn’t, did you?”

“No.”

Instead of listening, Cordelia placed her hand on her forehead and began to pace, turning to Buffy to say, “What where you thinking?!”

“Cordelia, I didn’t!”

Sighing, Cordelia stepped back from her friend. At first she’d taken the whole friendship as a joke, and then started to be alright with it – but the rumours that she’d heard this morning…she hadn’t exactly doubted them.

She’d seen the way the pair looked at each other.

“Buffy…whether you did or you didn’t…William is in trouble. Angel and the others went to look for him.”

Her eyes widening, Buffy stood up from the table. “Oh no…”

* * *

“Hey Giles!”

Hearing his name, William turned around. Seeing Angel and the other jocks, he paled. Something in Angel’s eyes told him this was more than just routine.

“You wanna tell me about last night? I heard you and Buffy got real friendly.”

Shaking his head, William looked around at the gathering crowd. – They too had noticed this was more than routine.

As he turned back, his jaw connected with Angel’s fist, creating a searing pain that ripple through his head. As he tried to step back, he stumbled, one of Angel’s friends catching him and pushing him back in Angel’s direction.

“You just couldn’t help yourself, huh? You thought you’d go for it, even though nobody – least of all Buffy – would ever fall for a loser like you.”

William tried his best not to cower, but he held his hands in front of his face as Angel took another swing, this time catching him on the nose.

By this time, his glasses were gone, and his eyes were watering from the blow. He couldn’t see very much, but the blurred image of Angel kept coming towards him. It seemed that Angel wasn’t finished yet.

He felt two strong arms take hold of him from the back, holding him still as Angel punched. William doubled over, winded, his eyes watering more than ever as he struggled to breathe.

Picking him up by the lapels of his jacket, Angel slammed his head into William’s face with an unsettling crunch of bones.

With that final head butt, Angel stepped backwards and stared down William, watching as he blinked a few times, groaning as his nose started to bleed.

“Now…tell me…did you kiss Buffy?”

William tried to shake his head ‘no’ but it hurt too much. Standing up, he mumbled no, spitting blood from his mouth onto the floor.

This didn’t seem to be the answer Angel wanted, so William found himself slammed up against the nearest wall.

* * *

Buffy’s eyes widened with shock as she saw the crowd. She knew immediately that Angel had found Will before she’d had a chance to explain. She ran towards the crowd.

There was cheering and as she burst through the people she saw Angel. He was holding a battered Will up against the wall, growling something at him with his other hand raised in a fist behind his head.

Will’s face was marred with a bloody nose and appearing bruises. His glasses where crumpled on the floor and his clothes were dirty. When he opened his mouth to try and speak, blood dribbled out onto the corners and down his shirt.

Buffy didn’t want to contemplate the feeling that laced through her as she caught sight of him. Just like the night before.

“Angel! Stop it!”

Upon hearing his girlfriends voice Angel turned and looked angrily in her direction, he didn’t let Will go though, and as he turned back, his fist was about to fly.

“Wait!” Buffy had now jumped in between them, effectively forcing Angel to let go of Will. The Brit slid down the wall holding his nose to cease the blood flow.

“What are you doing?” The cheerleader shouted.

“Have you heard the rumours Buffy? Have you, huh? That MY girl’s been going with a geek like that behind my back?”

William winced at the jock’s identification of Buffy. His girl?

“Is it true Buffy? IS IT?!”

Angel was glaring at her from the front, and she just knew that Will was glaring at her from the back, but she wanted to keep him safe. She dropped her eyes to the floor.

“Of course not.” She whispered, almost feeling the hurt radiating from behind her even though she couldn’t see Will’s face.

“What? I didn’t hear it Buffy. Did you kiss that freak?”

“NO.” Buffy replied, this time raising her head and staring right into Angel’s eyes.

It wasn’t a lie.

“Good.” He looked around, nodding at his friends, who began to walk away. “Come on then.” He told Buffy.

The crowd began to follow the other jocks away, and Buffy smiled at Angel. “I just need a minute, ok?”

Angel looked over her shoulder at the geek on the floor and narrowed his eyes. “Why?”

Buffy struggled to think of an excuse. “Well, I just wanna see if…if he started that rumour, I don’t want people thinking I kissed him. I’ll put him straight. Without violence.” She added when Angel tried to advance on Will.

The jock nodded and walked away. “I’ll be waiting for you Buffy.”

Sighing and closing her eyes, Buffy contemplated just walking away and leaving Will, but she knew she couldn’t. Slowly she turned to look at him, assessing his damage, trying not to get choked up about it. It hurt seeing him sitting on the floor at her feet, tending to his wounds.

She desperately wanted to ask him if he was alright, but there was a crowd watching from afar, so she stood with a stony look on her face.

“See? This is what you get for getting involved with me.” She whispered, lowering her eyes and turning away from him.

“Buffy, wait…”

She heard him, but she ignored his plea, and walked towards the rest of the popular crowd. She and Will just didn’t belong together.


To be continued…




Thanks for all my reviews, and keep on reading, I promise, it will all work out in the end.