A couple of weeks passed, and Buffy’s friend Willow came to visit her for a week. She had told Willow of her tryst with Spike, and she was very understanding and comforting. But because of the story itself, Willow wanted to see the club. Buffy picked a night when she didn’t think the band would play, and they got dressed up and went out. They sat at the bar, catching up, when the bartender came over and asked for their orders.

“She’s not old enough to drink,” a voice said from beside Buffy. She turned to see Spike standing there, looking stern.

“Course I am,” she replied, looking at the bartender. “Mike, I’m nineteen.” He poured her a Cosmopolitan. Willow looked at her, shocked. “And I need one for her, too, please.” He nodded and made one. Spike grabbed Buffy’s.

“She’s sixteen, Mike,” he said. Mike shrugged and handed Buffy another one. He made a third for Willow. “What’re you doing?”

“She may be sixteen, but it’s not illegal for her to drink here,” he said. “Immoral, yes, but I can’t turn her down.” Buffy grinned and gave him money for the three drinks.

“Thanks, Mike,” she said, clinking glasses with Willow. Spike grabbed her arm roughly. “What?” She looked at him, angry.

“We need to talk,” he ground out, pulling her up from her seat. “Sorry, Red, have to borrow her. Mike, take care of her.” He nodded, and Spike pulled Buffy outside, looking at her, upset. “What the fuck is going on? I don’t see you for a month, and suddenly you’re back, acting as if nothing ever happened. And you lied to me! Sixteen? Why the fuck didn’t you tell me?”

“’But if you were any younger, it would be’ wrong,” she quoted, crossing her arms. He froze. “Yep, and yes, it was wrong. Very wrong, actually. And I realized that. So here I am, on my own. Saving your ass from being stuck with a naïve sixteen year old who just wanted to sleep with a guy in a band. Good enough for you?” He growled and pushed her against a wall. She looked at him.

“No, it’s not good enough,” he said sharply. “You’re a sixteen year old girl who comes to a club, gets drinks, and lies to men so she can sleep with them! And yeah, I got a good deal out of it before, but I know enough that girls like you shouldn’t be doing this! You’re better than that, Buffy, and if you keep this up, something’s going to happen to you.”

“And you shouldn’t be doing what you’re doing either!” she yelled, pushing him back. He stared at her. “You don’t need to do drugs, Spike! You’re perfect the way you are, and drugs aren’t going to help you! You’re talented- very talented- but yet you do stupid shit like cocaine and fucking random girls! You’re better than that, too, and you’re too blind to see it!”

“Yeah? You don’t even know me!” he shot back. “You don’t know if I’m better than this! I’m just a guy in a band, Buffy! What in the bleeding hell do I have to offer to anyone besides shagging? I’m not a good man, and we both know it!”

“That’s bullshit,” she said, angry. “You’re too afraid to break away from the world you’ve nestled yourself in. I know you’re not a bad man- you just need to change some things. You have a lot to offer, but you choose to ignore that. And the same goes for you- something’s going to happen to you if you keep doing this, Spike. I want to help you, but I can’t.”

“Why am I even bothering?” he asked, looking up at the sky, clenching his jaw. “You’re only 16- what the fuck do you know?” She balled up her fist and punched his eye, walking back into the club, never looking back at him. She dragged Willow out and back to the house, not even bothering to care what happened to Spike.

* * * * *

The two girls were shopping a couple of days later when Dru passed them and stopped, looking at Buffy. “Hi, Dru. This is my friend Willow. Will, this is Dru, Angel’s girlfriend.” They shook hands.

“Buffy, you know about Spike, right?” she asked quietly. She shook her head, panic gripping her. “I don’t want to be the one to tell you this, but he’s in the hospital.” Willow grabbed Buffy’s hand in hers. “He overdosed on coke two nights ago.”

“Where is he?” Buffy asked sternly, biting back tears. Dru looked at her sadly. “Tell me!”

“Winchester Memorial,” she answered. “Room 507.” Buffy instantly hailed a cab. “Be good to him, Buffy.” Willow and Buffy got in the taxi and rode to the hospital. They took the elevator up to the fifth floor and slowly walked to 507. Buffy stopped in the doorway and saw him asleep. Willow squeezed her hand and let Buffy walk in. She sat beside him and took one of his hands in hers, kissing the top of it. His eyes slowly opened, and he looked at her. She felt a tear roll down her cheek.

“It’s you,” he said quietly, his voice choking up. She nodded, letting another tear fall. “How’d you know?”

“Dru and I saw each other,” she answered sadly. “I didn’t know. I wish I would’ve. I should’ve been here, or there, or-“

“You’re babbling,” he smiled softly. She smiled, too, feeling tears fall faster. “Why are you crying, luv?”

“Because you’re in a hospital,” she answered, wiping off her cheeks with her free hand. “And you scared me.”

“I’m sorry, pet,” he said, squeezing her hand. “I’m sorry for what I said, and what I did. I just got really pissed off because of you and kept snorting until I passed out.” Buffy frowned instantly.

“You did this because of me?” she asked, trying to rein in her anger. He nodded. “Why would you do that?”

“Because I thought I lost you, and it killed me,” he said, looking away. “I didn’t want to lose you, and I needed a fix.”

“You didn’t lose me,” she said. “I’m right here.” She briefly paused. “But if you keep doing this, Spike, I’m out. I can’t handle it all. The drugs, the fighting…and I’m still only 16. That won’t change. Can you live with that?”

“I’ll learn to live with the age thing,” he said, looking back at her. “Because I can’t stop thinking about you, baby.”

“And the drugs? Will you stop?” she asked. He hesitated before nodding. “If you go back to them, I’m done, Spike. You may want to be Sid Vicious, but I sure as hell don’t want to be Nancy. That’s the only warning I’m going to give you.” He nodded. “But I’ll help you as much as I can. I promise.” He nodded again, visibly relaxing. “When are you out of here?” She heard her cell phone ring.

“Tomorrow,” he answered. “Afternoon.” She smiled softly. “You can come and visit me at night.”

“I’ll be there,” Buffy replied. “I should let you go back to resting, though. I’ll see you tomorrow night then?”

“Yeah,” he said, smiling. She stood up and leaned down to kiss him. “I missed you, Goldilocks.”

“I missed you, too,” she replied, taking one last look at him before walking out and meeting up with Willow.

“Who called you?” she asked. She took her phone out of her purse and checked the Caller ID.

“Mom,” she answered. “I’m not worried. She has no idea about what’s going on. I’m in the clear still.” Willow nodded, and they left the hospital, going back to her house. She called her mom and checked in with her.

“So, you and him are going to try being back together?” Willow asked, sitting on the couch. Buffy nodded. “That’s good.”

“Is it?” she asked, sitting beside her friend and burying her face in her hands. “I don’t know if it really is. I’m still only 16, and he’s 25. He’s lived a lot more than I have, and we’re two different people.”

“But if you two really care about each other, you’ll work it out,” she said, patting Buffy’s shoulder. She sighed.

“Yeah, I hope you’re right, Will,” I said. “Because I don’t want to lose him just yet.”
**************************************************************************




A/N Thanks to everyone who reviewed, and keep 'em coming please!:) I know rebellious Spike is fun, and I realize Spike's getting another chance, but will it last?