The next evening during dinner, her mother finally had enough free time to ask her about Spike.

“So, you and him met at the club you keep going to?” she asked. Buffy nodded. “When?” She shrugged.

“The first night I went there,” she answered. “He’s in a band that plays there all of the time. He’s a bassist.”

“Oh,” Joyce smiled. “Well, that’s pretty nice.” Buffy smiled. “And you like him?” She nodded. “I can tell he likes you, too. He had that look about him. Like you were a goddess or something.” She giggled quietly. “Buffy, how old is he?” She looked at Joyce, seeing concern in her mother’s eyes. “I know he’s not sixteen. I also know that he doesn’t look like he’s even close to it. Tell me the truth.”

“Mommy,” Buffy said quietly, looking at her sadly. Joyce looked down, nodding slightly. “If I tell you, you have to promise me something.” She looked back up at her daughter. “You won’t keep me away from him.”

“Buffy,” she began. “If I think it’s going to be a problem, I can’t help but keep you from him.” She frowned.

“He’s 25,” Buffy answered. Joyce stared at her. “Mom?” She stood up and left the dinner table, going up to her room. Buffy raised an eyebrow, confused.

‘What the hell is going on?’ she thought, standing up slowly and going up to her mom’s room, seeing her on her bed. “Mom?”

“I know you’re on the Pill,” she said. Buffy nodded slightly. “Does he use protection?” She raised an eyebrow again. “Wait, no, don’t answer that question.” She paused. “No, actually, please do.” She looked at Buffy. “Are you two sleeping together? Have you been…careful?” She nodded and went to sit beside her mother. “You’re only 16, Buffy.” She looked at her. “My baby’s grown up.”

“Mom, I’m still your baby,” she said quietly. Joyce had tears in her eyes, and Buffy felt her own forming. “Are you disappointed?” Joyce wiped off her cheeks and looked at her.

“Are you happy with him?” she asked. Buffy nodded. “And you trust him? Care about him?” She nodded again. “Then no, I’m not disappointed. I raised you to make the right decisions for yourself, and if you are, then it’s okay. I want you to be happy.” Buffy smiled softly. “But if he hurts you, I’m beating him with a shovel and burying him.” She hugged her mother. “I love you.”

“I love you, too, Mom,” Buffy replied before standing up. She took Buffy’s hand in hers and looked up at her.

“Will you invite him over?” Joyce asked. “I didn’t get a chance to really talk to him the other night.” Buffy smiled.

“Sure,” she answered. She went to her room and called him, waiting for him to finally answer. “Hello, cutie.”

“Hey, baby,” he replied. She could tell that he was smiling. “How’s my vicious trollop doing this rainy evening?”

“I have a proposition for you,” she answered, looking out the window at the street.

“Sounds kinky,” he joked, chuckling. She giggled a little and looked at a couple walking down the sidewalk.

“Mom wants to meet you again,” she said. “I told her about us.” She paused. “All about us.”

“She’s going to kick my ass, isn’t she?” he asked. “You’re inviting me over to be killed, aren’t you, pet?”

“No,” she answered, smiling. “Mom’s okay with it. We had a nice little talk, and she wants to see you. Talk to you.”

“And you’ll protect me if she decides to castrate me?” he asked. Buffy laughed. “Hey!”

“I won’t let her even get close to your…will you come over?” she asked, trying not to blush.

“Yes,” he answered. “I’ll be there in a few minutes, okay?” She agreed, and they hung up. She put on a pair of slightly ripped jeans and a tight red shirt before tying her hair back with a black ribbon. She heard the doorbell ring around 7 and got it. “Hey.”

“Hey,” she smiled, hugging him. He kissed her cheek and came in. Her mother came down the steps and smiled at him.

“Hello, Mrs. Summers,” he said. She extended a hand, and he shook it.

“Call me Joyce,” she replied. “’Mrs.’ reminds me of being married again. Not such a fun time.” He looked at Buffy.

“Painful divorce,” she said quietly. He looked at Joyce apologetically. “Can I get you something, William?”

“Soda’s fine, pet,” he replied. She nodded and went to the kitchen. She suddenly heard them go to the living room and start talking. She smiled to herself and grabbed three cans of soda before joining them. “So, you own an art gallery?” Buffy handed him a soda.

“Yes,” Joyce answered, smiling. Buffy gave her a soda, too. “Thanks, honey.” Buffy nodded and sat beside Spike on the couch. “I was an art major in college, and after Buffy’s father and I divorced, I decided I wanted to run my own gallery. So here I am.” She opened up the can. “Do you like art, William?” Buffy consciously held back a smile.

“Actually, yes,” he answered. Both her and her mother were surprised. “My father was an artist. He painted my mother quite a bit before he died.” Buffy looked at him sadly. “That was about ten years ago. Mum was about two years ago.”

“I’m sorry,” Joyce apologized. Buffy put her hand on his and squeezed it. He smiled softly at her. “Do you have the paintings?” He nodded. “Really?” He nodded again. “I’d love to see them sometime.”

“They’re in my apartment,” he said. “If you’d like, we could go there now and see them.” Buffy looked at Joyce.

“You don’t mind?” Joyce asked. He shook his head. “Sure, I’d love to.” They all stood up and headed outside.

“I can drive us,” he offered, motioning to his car. She smiled, and he opened the door for her. Buffy smirked and got in on her own.

* * * * *

He drove them to his apartment and let them in. “I’ve got them in the extra bedroom.” He led the women down the hallway and turned on the light. Buffy felt her jaw drop slightly as she looked around. On every wall were several paintings of the same beautiful blonde woman. Joyce took a step in and gasped, her face conveying surprise. He looked insecure. “Are they okay?”

“They’re absolutely beautiful,” she said, looking at one up close before surveying each one slowly, studying every detail.

“She’s beautiful,” Buffy said quietly, looking at one of his mother laying nude on a red chaise lounge. He smiled.

“I think she looks a lot like you, actually,” he admitted. She looked at him, studying his eyes.

“Did he ever sell any of his work?” Joyce asked, breaking their gaze. He looked over at her.

“He sold the paintings that he did besides the ones of Mum,” he answered. “These were for his private collection.”

“Have you ever thought of exhibiting them?” she asked. “I’d love to do an exhibit of these at the gallery.” Both Spike and Buffy looked at her. “I want to do a local artist every month, and I think this would be a great way to kick that off.”

“You’d be willing to do that?” Spike asked. She nodded vigorously, and he smiled. “Sure. That’s okay with me.”

“Great,” she smiled broadly. “We can work out a deal of some sort then.” She looked at the paintings again. “These are so lovely. Your father was very detailed with his work, and your mother was a flawless beauty.” He looked at Buffy and smiled. She blushed and ducked her head, and he chuckled quietly. “William’s right- you do look like her, honey.” Buffy smiled softly. “Yes, I think this will make an excellent exhibit. We can have a premiere, even. Your band could play.” He raised an eyebrow. “Or maybe not. I have a feeling you play different music than what I’d want in the gallery.” Him and Buffy both laughed. “I’ll figure something out. But it’s going to be a nice party. Sound good?”

“As long as he’s in a suit,” Buffy grinned, looking up at him. He looked back at her, smiling.

“As long as she’s in a dress,” he replied, grazing her cheek. Joyce sighed jokingly and left the room. “Sound okay? You and I going to an elite, upper-crust party together?” She nodded. “Good. I like her.”

“She likes you, too,” Buffy smiled, kissing him softly. “We should probably get her back.” He kissed her again before they left the room and met Joyce in the kitchen. The three left and returned to the Summers house, and Spike stayed there until midnight before leaving.
***************************************************************************


A/N Hey again! I hope everyone still likes this story. For everyone who wants/expects something to go wrong for the happy couple, it'll be in the next chapter:) Please review, because the more I get, the faster I'll post chapter 9! Thanks!