Buffy and Cordelia were hanging out on the campus yard, a large space in the center of all the dormitories. It was an excellent spot for meeting and picking up the opposite sex. New and old faces mingled and the vibe was intoxicating. The night air was warm and filled with everything from rock to hip-hop music. Buffy was enjoying University life glad she was finished with community college. There were only two days left until the semester started and Buffy was psyched. She closed her eyes, tilting her head back, thanking God for helping her get there.

"Cordy this is so cool. I'm having a great time."

"Yeah, Friday nights on the yard are the best. You know this is the spot where I met my Angel."

"Speaking of Angel, when is he coming back?"

"He'll be hear tomorrow and I can't wait."

"Well, I guess I want be seeing you then."

"You got that right."

Buffy looked around the campus yard still soaking up the vibe until she heard a voice in the background talking to Cordy.

"Whose the bird with you, luv?" Spike asked.

Buffy stilled, wondering who was inquiring about her. She'd heard Cordelia say her name. She turned around, looking at Spike.

Spike's blue eyes locked with hers. Buffy had the same feeling in her limbs when she locked eyes with him that day she saw him outside Cordy's building three months ago.

"Hello, cutie" Spike said.

"Buffy...Spike....Spike...this is Buffy" Cordedia said casually.

"Hi... aren't you Faith's boyfriend?"

Spike closed his and shaking his from side to side.

"How many bloody times do I have to say it? I AM NOT FAITH'S BOYFRIEND."

"Yes you are" Cordy replied, smiling.

"I'M NOT"

"Mad, much?" Buffy replied

"Just tired of hearing it, pet"

"But you two date, right?"

"Something like that but that doesn't mean we're together. I don't have time for relationships."

"I see, so you date a lot then?"

"No...just don't want to be tied down is all"

Buffy changed the subject.

"So you're a drama major?"

"Been asking about me, luv." Spike smiled, tilting his head to the side.

"No, Cordy told me. She said you were going to be famous one day."

"I don't know about that, pet."

"Well if you're as good as she says you are, then maybe you will be."

"Well, I know I'm good." Spike replied, giving Buffy a wicked smile.

"And I don't think my acting sucks."

Buffy gulped at the sexual innuendo while she watched Spike walk over to her side of the bench. He was flirting with her.

"So what kind of name is Buffy?"

"What kind of name is Spike?"

"I asked you first."

"I asked you second."

Spike stared at Buffy and smiled. He liked her.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Just looking, pet."

Briefly, Buffy turned her head away. She was blushing and didn't want Spike to see. She liked him.

Cordelia leaned in close, listening to her friends getting along. She raised an eyebrow, thinking maybe a little too well but she didn't interrupt.

"Has anyone ever told you how pretty you are?"

"Ummm maybe once or twice." Buffy said, jokingly.

"No really you are."

Buffy stopped smiling and looked into his eyes. Spike was serious.

"I can't remember but I like the way you say it. I love your accent. How long have you lived in the United States."

"Since I was eight. I still visit London every chance I get. It keeps the accent fresh...gives me a slight advantage over the competition."

Buffy raised an eyebrow, wondering if he was talking about acting or the opposite sex.

They talked non-stop, ignoring Cordy and everything else around them. They didn't even notice Spike's best friend Xander and his friend Willow had joined them. The two were in their own little world captivated by what the other had to say oblivious to how close they were sitting.

Buffy laughed when Spike did an impression of Benny Hill. She covered her mouth with one hand while the other touched his knee. Quickly, she removed it.

"I'm sorry."

"No harm done, pet."

They smiled at each other, holding their gaze when suddenly a fight broke out on the yard. Everyone was scrambling to get out of the way from flying fists and people bumping into each other. Spike grabbed Buffy close to him, placing her legs across his lap. Strangely, he'd felt the need to protect her. The fighting continued until the campus police intervened, kicking everyone off the yard.

Cordelia noticed Spike holding on to Buffy and how her friend seemed very comfortable. She didn't like what she was seeing.

"I guess we better call it a night guys." Cordy said.

"No, its still early. I still want to hang." Spike replied, looking at Buffy.

"Me too" Willow said.

"So do I" Xander, replied.

Buffy looked at Cordelia.

"I don't want to go home." She said, realizing she was still in Spike's arms. She looked into his eyes, managing a half-smile. They parted slowly.

"I got an idea. Let's go to the park. We'll get some beer and some chips." Spike said, with enthusiasm.

"And twinkies, we can't forget twinkies." Xander replied.

Cordelia really didn't want to return back to the dorm. She'd felt she needed to say something to break up the coziness between Buffy and Spike.

Everyone piled into Buffy's car. Cordelia, Willow, and Xander set in the back seat while Spike rode in the front with Buffy. Several conversations were going on at once but Spike and Buffy were silent, glancing over at each other. Cordy noticed the exchanges. She folded her arms across her chest aware of their attraction.

Spike and Buffy volunteered to buy the beer and chips. They walked around the convenience store grabbing random items. Spike was throwing things at Buffy and she tried to catch them, laughing but dropping everything.

"Hey slow down. I only got two hands."

"You need to learn how to keep up, pet."

"What was that?"

Spike walked up to Buffy, lowering his voice to a sexy whisper. I said you need to learn how to keep up. You never know when someone might come along and sweep you off your feet."

Buffy swallowed hard, staring into Spike's eyes wondering if he was talking about himself.

"I...I think we have enough. You got the beer."

"Got it, pet"

Cordelia watched her the couple through the brightly lit windows of the convenience store. A blind man could see they were attracted to each other. It was time she said something before things between Buffy and Spike went any further.

Everyone jumped out of the car, walking towards one of many pavilions located on the park grounds. Cordelia lagged behind on purpose until she was shoulder to shoulder with Buffy while everyone else was ahead of them.

"Buffy what are you doing?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about Spike."

"What?"

"You like him and I think he likes you too."

"So"

"So, you know he's dating Faith which means he's off limits."

"I do like him. He's really cool and I haven't forgotten he's with Faith."

"I'm glad you said that because I don't think it's a good idea for you two to get so close. You know since we're all friends. It would make things difficult. You know what I mean."

"I understand. Look we're just having some fun...just harmless flirting."

Buffy knew Cordy was right. It wasn't a good idea to get involved with Spike. Although she was wildly she was wildly attracted to him, she knew it was for the best not to act on it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Look at them. He's giving her a piggy back ride." Xander said, watching Spike and Buffy play around.

"They'd both drunk." Willow replied.

"Yeah, they are. They probably want even remember it tomorrow."

"This is so wrong. I can't believe I'm seeing this." Cordy, responded.

"What's the big deal...they're just having fun." Xander replied.

"They're having too much fun. It's so obvious they're hot for each other and I don't want to be a witness to it. I mean look at them. It's foreplay."

"Cordy, drink your beer and relax." Willow said.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spike and Buffy sat across from each other about 100 feet away from the rest of their friends. Neither of them knew when exactly they separated from the rest of the group nor did they care.

"What's your greatest fear?" Buffy asked.

"Being alone"

"Mine too"

"Who's your favorite band?"

"Bush"

"And yours?"

"The Sex Pistols.'

"Who?"

"The Sex Pistols. It's a punk band."

"Sorry, never heard of them"

"You will."

Buffy grinned at Spike, realizing he was talking in future tense.

"Its getting late, I think me need to head back."

"I guess you're right, luv. Come on." Spike said, helping Buffy to her feet. She fell against him trying to gain her balance still buzzing from the three beers she drank. Spike grabbed her by the hand, holding it against his chest. Buffy looked into his eyes. Spike pulled her closer, lowering his head to kiss her. Buffy's raised her head to meet his lips.

"Hey you guys lets go." Cordy shouted, ending the couple's moment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Cordelia was the more sober one, she drove Buffy's car back to campus. Xander, Spike, and Buffy sat in the back seat, cracking jokes that only they seemed to get. Although Buffy's back seat was roomy, they sat very close to each other with their legs touching.

Cordelia checked the rearview mirror, watching them with scrutiny. She almost swerved off the road when she saw Spike place his arm behind Buffy then swerved again when it dropped to Buffy's shoulder. She increased the speed on the way back, trying to give them very little time to get friendlier.

Buffy and Spike continued to joke and laugh while the others remained silent then out of nowhere, Spike stuck in his tongue into Buffy's ear. She tilted her head to the side, reaching up to wipe the excess saliva from her ear. She looked at Spike and they both broke out in hysterical laughter. Everyone in the car looked over at them to see what was so damn funny.

Cordelia parked the car in front of her building. Everyone climbed out. Willow and Xander returned to their dorms while Cordelia, Spike and Buffy remained outside. It was an awkward moment.

"So Cordy when is Angel arriving?" Spike asked.

"Tomorrow"

There was an awkward silence.

"When is Faith coming back?" Cordy asked, already knowing the answer.

"Don't know"

Buffy looked at Cordelia, smirking at her best friend's attempt at giving her a reality check.

"Oh screw this. Look its obvious you two like each other. Faith is my friend and I don't like what's happening here. I love you two to death but there is no way you two are hooking up. There I said it. I'm going to bed now. Buffy I'll talk to you later. Goodbye Spike."

Neither Spike nor Buffy responded to Cordy's outburst as they watched her enter the building.

"She's right you know."

"Well, I don't bloody care. I like you and I want to see you again. Its not like I meant for this to happen. It just did." Spike said, stepping closer to Buffy.

"I like you too but this thing that's happening between us has to end right here. No matter how much I like you. I can't let this come between Cordy and I so lets just say goodbye and I'll see you around. I guess."

Buffy stood on her tiptoes to kiss Spike on the cheek.

"It was nice but we can't. " She said, opening her car door.

Spike watched her drive off, placing his hand over the spot touched by her soft lips.